1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

What would or have you chosen??

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Mish_Mike, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mish_Mike

Mish_Mike Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Ok, gang. I picked up my first edc last week. I'm moving on to something I can use outdoors for both survival and bushcrafting tasks, including battoning.. I imagine a 4-5" blade would suit me well. Which of the Fiddleback Forge designs do you think best suits my needs? Secondly, does Fiddleback Forge make knives in 3V? I visited their website, but most of the custom knives have "varies by build" under blade material.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

2. Heespharm

Heespharm Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Production camp knife is 3v you can find "custom shop" versions with custom scales from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
  4. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I put some thought into this myself and decided on the OS Ladyfinger in 3/32 and the Bushfinger in 1/8. The Lady is a really awesome "do it all" knife, but I get a little hesitant battoning with 3/32, though I've done some light work with it and it did fine. I typically pair it with a small axe. The Bushfinger in 1/8 is going to be my "do everything Knife". I plan on running it with a folding saw.

I chose those two models because I do a lot of hunting and I felt the blade shapes would also do well for game processing and all around camp tasks. Other models you may want to consider are the Kephart, Recluse, Terrasaur, and KE Bushie.

I would also recommend taking a look at the production line. They have the Bushfinger and Kephart in S35VN, as well as the Duke, a larger model. The only 3V Fiddleback I know of is the production Camp Knife.

Hope that's helpful. There are some other great threads on similar topics. I'll see if I can find and link them for more reading material for you.

EDIT: oh! I forgot the Bush Hermit! It's a newer model that would also do great in those roles. Another couple models I forgot are the Maverick and Renegade. They both come in drop points that would be great for those tasks.

5. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Production Duke and be done IMHO. Even better if you can come across a custom shop version, but the stock scales will be better suited for a survival type knife.

6. Mish_Mike

Mar 7, 2017
    Thanks for taking the time to respond, guys.

@Odaon, this is why I asked. There seem to be so many in Fiddleback's lineup that are designed to be good at a variety of outdoor tasks, given the appropriate size and thickness of the blade. I'm having a hard time deciding. Also, once I hone in on a specific knife or two, the Fiddleback Friday sales seem to be pretty random. I might be waiting around quite a while for the one I want, no? What an ingenious way to create a demand for your brand.

7. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    Take a look at the Production Kepheart. It's a lot of knife.

8. NUTRAMAC

NUTRAMAC Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 8, 2014
  9. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    I recently picked up a Kephart from a forum member. And you're not joking it's a lot of knife without being overly big. It seems stout enough to take on a variety of tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Definitely lots of options for lots of different preferences. As far as the waiting thing goes, it depends on the knife you want. Typically most of them can be found at one dealer or another right away, assuming you aren't picky.

Which models have stood out to you?

11. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    1. Production Duke
    2. Handyman

Not much to be done that the pair cannot handle well.

Bill

12. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2014
    What he said. The Production Camp knife is bigger, but has 3v steel.

"Outdoor, survival and bushcrafting" means a lot of different things to people. To me, the Duke (or Woodsman) fill that role perfectly, but others prefer a smaller blade. The cool thing is that Andy makes a variety of knives that will accommodate many different styles of use.

13. Mish_Mike

Mar 7, 2017
    In the 4-5" range? Oh, I don't know... the Bushcrafter, Bushfinger, Hunter, KE Bushie, Kephart, Ladyfinger, and Recluse. That's all. :D

14. Mish_Mike

Mar 7, 2017
    Absolutely! To me, outdoor survival implies being able to perform bushcrafting tasts. To another, it might take on a more tactical meaning. The more I think about it, I don't think I can actually get along with just one knife. I don't have all that much experience. I'll most likely need two, maybe three. Like a newbie would, I guess I got caught up into seeking out a superknife that might not really exist.

Thank you for all the suggestions above though. I might end up buying several knives in every size range in order to figure out which one(s) best suit me. One thing I have heard is that as your skill in the outdoors increases, the less knife you need, size-wise I guess?

15. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    It definitely depends on your intended uses and other tools you include. I think I could do pretty much anything I need in the woods with a Bushfinger and a folding saw, others may prefer a smaller knife and an axe; occasionally I do! If you don't like or don't want to bring a saw/axe you may be better of with one of the larger models like a Duke or Camp Knife. I think having multiple different knives for different jobs is fun!

Good luck finding out which one you want to start with!

16. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Mike,
    Something that finally worked for me was to create use groups, like food groups. I have 3 use groups, if a knife does not define the purpose of that use group, I move it along. When I choose to kit up, I chose one item from each use group, depending on vegetation and weather.

Bill

17. Mish_Mike

Mar 7, 2017
    This sounds like a good idea. It also sounds very dangerous.....for my wallet.

18. Mish_Mike

Mar 7, 2017
    So thinking about what "group usage" (thx lmalterna) I wanted my first FF knife to satisfy, I really want it to be able to handle hunting tasks (whitetail), along with various tasks when roaming the bush. I've settled on the Recluse. I'll be scouring the "for sale" ads for one.

Or if anyone thinks a different FF knife would be better at handling skinning, field dressing, quartering, etc., please chime in.

19. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    I think the Recluse would make a great knife for those uses!

There happens to be a beauty that just went up at BladeCo.

http://www.bladecousa.com/fiddleback-forge-andy-roy.html

There also several available at DLT.

http://www.dlttrading.com/fiddleback-forge-knives

Good luck choosing one! :thumbup: