What would you like to see next from me?

Reply Part 1-

Thanks for starting this thread Chris. You have received a number of well thought out responses so far from an experienced group of folks. I agree with most of the consensus opinions so far.

Thank you Phil, I have received a number of well thought out and lengthy responses which I appreciate along with yours! I have read everyone's responses including yours and have begun to make the necessary adjustments. A Lot of materials enroute, mostly 1/16", 3/32" CPM154 and, lots of micarta and G10s

Here are my general answers to your questions followed by some specific comments actual purchases to add to the mix:

Models and thickness?

I like the models that incorporate some food prep / kitchen utility features in addition to outdoor uses. “K” Raptors, “K” Apaches and the Nomad all fit this category for me. I prefer thinner steels these days for most day-to-day uses. The fact that you work in 3/32” CPM 154 and taper the tangs has been a big reason that I am drawn to your knives. The 1/16” CPM 154 on the Nomad has been a very pleasant surprise to me too. I think that these dual utility models with base synthetic handles will be popular sellers for you.

It seems that most everyone on here uses their knives with a similar purpose and setting, this is good information for me because it gives me an ideas about how to design knives that better fit all of our needs.

In the next few months I plan on focusing on what I am starting to see as my core models, (K) Raptor, Raptor, Warthog, (G) Warthog, Trail Hand, Mamushi, (K) Apache, Apache, Tusk, Edu, and Nomad.

I also plan on refining and releasing several new models and plan to continue to make one offs when the urge and opportunity arises.

I definitely plan on focusing on the thinner steels for CPM154, the newer ones to me will most likely be in the thicker side of until I get more comfortable then I will work my way down to the thinner stocks like I did with the CPM 154

What kind of handle material like more micarta or G10, Carbon Fiber, Wood etc.?

My preference runs about 95% to synthetic handles these days. Durability, ease of maintenance, and reasonable cost, are the factors that I appreciate about micarta and G10. Your bead-blasted finish on these materials is excellent for being grippy even when wet. Your finishing on carbon fiber handles is the best I have experienced - smooth and supple feeling rather than polished and slippery.

On the few cases where I go with wood, I am attracted to nicely figured Koa or other browns. I am not into dyed woods at all.

You seem to be right inline with most of these guys on handle choices, I do have a strong preference to the sandblasted handles to, and was something that I am really glad I incorporated into my working line of knives.
I do think the Carbon Fiber still has its place and Niche. I am planning on offering the Carbon Fiber, TSK, and other premium material, just on a more limited basis.

I do have some more Koa stashed, along with Cocobolo and a few other highly figured exotic species.

More Bolsters or Less?

With a few notable exceptions, I prefer no bolsters. Bolsters are one of the options where I feel that up-charge cost is better applied on premium material or other features of the knife.

The bolstered handle configurations I like the best have no pinstripes. I like the clean look of matching synthetic 1/8” liners and bolsters without pinstripes.

My favorite handle combo I have seen you do is this “K” Apache with Koa sandwiched between two Lightning Strike carbon fiber bolsters. Absolutely beautiful! (Not my knife by the way.)

https://public.fotki.com/Ospreyknifeandtool/knives-for-sale-2017/img-0821.html#media

IMG_0821-vi.jpg

Ok it's a little bit more of a mix here, personally I am on and off with the bolsters from an aesthetic point of few, but there are certain handle combinations on certain knives where I think it starts to lean more toward functionality as well. Say for instance on a larger knife where balance is important, usually it won't make much of a difference in the balance from one material to the next, but occasionally it does and pairing different density materials can do neat things to a knife's balance and liveliness on special occasions. I better example would be a synthetic bolster/wood combination. but I am aware I am preaching to the choir here and just mentioning my observations from a maker's point of view. :D

I have not made to many of the bolster combinations you mentioned with the thick liners. I guess now that I think of it mainly because that is what most everyone was doing around me and I wanted to bring something different to the table with the incorporated pinstriping, I know the idea is not unique but the way I incorporate my pinstriping into the bolsters is unique and I have not seen any other makers who make them exactly how I make them.

I like the idea of making some bolstered handles with the thick liners and no pinstriping I will see about making these a more regular occurrence, it will be good for the variety and fresh look for my knives.

Its funny you mention the (K) Apache being you favorite, because It was a F@#K it kind of handle. I was not planning on making that handle much less putting it on that knife, I wanted too and something drove me to do it. I like to think the materials spoke to me in a sense, but I found that a lot of my killer pieces are a product of this spur of the moment imagination and inspiration. And it's really fun when the rational part of you says I dunno but the artistic side say oh yeah we are doing this, wins out and proves the rational/pragmatic side wrong. It is an interesting dichotomy!

Last edited:
Reply Part 2-

What Colors, example what color Micarta or G10's?

Most of my OK&T knives have some kind of black handle. That is more due to circumstance than a dedicated theme on my part. While I like black, I hope to branch out more on future purchases with Slate Blue, Charcoal Gray, or Jade G10’s, or OD Green, Maroon, or Barbwire Brown micartas.

I will still buy more of the various carbon fiber options. This material has many positives going for it in beauty, durability, and light weight.

Let’s get back to pinstripes for a minute. From my experience and what I hear about from others, pinstripe color is a very polarizing topic for many buyers. I can’t tell you how many knives I have passed on buying over the years just because the pinstripe color was wrong on an otherwise desirable knife. We all have colors we love and others we can’t stand. I like the simplicity of 1/8” thick black or natural liners with no pinstripe or even “commando” handles with no liners or pinstripes. This would be simpler to manufacture and more cost effective for the buyer.

I want to 2nd Phillip’s (M4Super90) comment about reducing the forward rake on the handle pommels to provide more grip flexibility on the bottom of the handle. I also find rounded pommels more comfortable and adaptable than the pointed flat designs.

I like Black a lot too, the majority of my the blades I purchase have subdued colors and I am a very task oriented person when choosing my tools. I do however want the best materials in that chosen category even if they are the more cost effective users handles. I pass this philosophy onto my craft and I only source the very best materials I can find.

I am not into pointing fingers or naming names, but there are a few material vendors that have lost my business because of my disappointment in the quality of the materials.

The pinstriping is very polarizing for me too. I try and make color combos that I do not necessarily care for personally myself. I am aware that people's tastes in colors vary as much as there are combos. I am willing to bend quite a bit to accomodate color schemes but sometimes I have to say no because it doesn't fit my overall look or product vision.

With that being said, I have reluctantly agreed to make color combos I did not care for and actually felt different about it once it was done. So if any of you have color combos you would like to see it can't hurt to ask.

I have been throwing the idea in my head about the forward rake on the pommels, I have a strong preference to this design feature and it shows in my work. I like to ponder the ideas in my head and work out the overall shape in my head. Once I feel I have a good concept of what I want to make. I start laying it on paper or sometimes I go straight to steel. I find if I visualize something enough in my head, I usually do not have a problem making it tangible given the right materials and tool. This would be a little bit outside my comfort zone and, and takes a little more time to figure out how to incorporate it into my design philosophy like the kitchen style knives.

I feel I am ready to put some new designs on paper or steel soon, I have my sketchbook and profiles handy for when the moment arises, once it does I am sure I will draw out a half a dozen or more designs in a few hours.
It leaves me as fast as it comes though, I hope one day I can design at will instead of waiting for when moment is right.

Steels? I am working with CPM154, W2, occasionally 1095, I currently am working on getting proficient in S35vn and Trying out 3v, 80crv2. Which steel are you interested in?

I have been very happy with the CPM 154 material you use on most knives. I have knives in 3V and S35VN by other makers that I have been very happy with. I would like to try an OK&T in 3V or S35VN if you can get the heat treat protocols dialed in to take full advantage of the benefits these materials offer. I have limited experience so far with 80CRV2 and none with W2 or 1095, so I will reserve commenting on those materials.

Thank you Phil, everyone has said they are extremely happy with CPM154 and my heat treating. I plan on continuing to use CPM154 as I feel at the moment it is one of my core materials, and is one of the best steels on the market for these EDC, and general task purposes.

I do have a constant need to learn and grow, so it is only natural that I would try new things, I believe there are steels out there that would offer a little more in certain niche areas. I also enjoy the challenge and the reward learning new things and adding to my skillset.

Where do you use you knife mostly?

Food prep kitchen use daily. Utility use around the house/ garage/office most days. Outdoor hiking/camping/woodworking a couple days a month.

Seems to be a common theme. I do to fit in this category there was a point in my life though where the Ferox would not have left my side. It is interesting how one's tools evolve as rapidly and drastically as one's life.
I guess that just goes to show nothing in life is permanent besides death and taxes.

What kind of new models would you like to see in the future?

A dedicated 6” to 7” kitchen knife with a synthetic handle would be fun. I hope to see the larger “King Raptor” we talked about make it across the finish line too.

Soon! Very soon!

Back