• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Whatever happened to The Edge Company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double zombie thread. Born in 2003, reanimated in 2009, arisen to roam the earth again in 2012. This thread has much magic juju.

Is that a problem? I didn't read it in 2003 and didn't read it in 2009, so now I have a chance to read it as do other people. When I read and respond to threads I never look at the dates of previous responses.

I like that it now looks like Tripton bumped it :)

Recently automatic knives became legal for concealed carry holders in my state. I started looking at the available options out there when I suddenly remembered the Edge Company. Searching for information about the company and their knives brought me here, to this thread that will not die... So I made an account and here I am.

I'm not even sure how I got on their mailing list to begin with, but when I was in high school, I brought one of their catalogs to school and took orders from my friends. I collected all of the money, got a money order, and sent it off for several of their kits. Among the various knives I ordered was a classic Italian stiletto type switchblade for myself. One of my friends was looking at it one day, and when he opened it, he dropped it. The plastic handle cracked right at the place where it covered the piece that held the blade closed. Because of this. the blade would no longer stay closed. I called Edge Company because their knives had a lifetime warranty. The nice woman on the phone from their customer service told me that they really weren't supposed to tell anyone, but they could no longer ship kits, so if I sent my knife in, they couldn't send it or a replacement back. I put the knife in the pencil jar on my desk at home and forgot about it for a while.

A few years later, I somehow got to talking to a guy in my National Guard unit about wood working that he did. I asked if he could make wooden handles for my switchblade, and he was pretty sure that he could. I drilled out the rivets holding the plastic handles on and gave them to him for measurements, etc... Well, life goes on, I lost track of him, and now I'm left with basically what amounts to a switchblade kit minus the handles and rivets.

I know the parts are in a box buried in the back of a closet in the basement. One of these days I'll have to dig it out and see if I can get some new handles and rivets.

Edit to add:

Found it!

I put it back together without any handles. If you keep pressure on it while holding, it will stay closed. When you release pressure, it snaps open just like it did when new. Seriously considering finding a local person that does wood work to see if they can bring it back from the dead...

Last edited:
Ha, my dad bought me one of those Edge Co. distributed Atlas stiletto kits back when I was in college. Loved it but not sure what happened to it. Was never sure it was totally legal to own. Loved their adds and catalog. I too have become a auto collector now that my state has legalized them. Way cool and much deja vu for the old auto kits brought me to this thread too.... so why not a zombie thread hat trick....?

I bought one of those tactical onehanders back in the 80s. still have it, although there are no more serrations on the blade. stag handles, nothing bad to say about it. Still works like new. also bought an otf in kit form that was nothing to write home about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back