What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

almost done with a slipjoint -

5471FE70-4B89-4717-BF45-3CC0DCCEC0CE_zpsg61nwvgr.jpg

Just finished a couple of kitchen knives.

Nakiri 165mm in O1 at 63 HRC with wa handle
xsEYNVB.jpg

IFlnx6r.jpg

hwAxMl0.jpg

Gyuto 210 mm in 14C28N at 62 HRC with western handle
13arOYg.jpg

4Uk0oYq.jpg

4yBtLdI.jpg

My latest blade. Almost finished. CPM20CV, white G10 & stainless Corby bolts. This is a gift for someone who has purchased 4 knives from me. He is way into fishing, so I told him I would design a fishing knife for him.

It's also the first knife to sport my NEW Makers Mark.

This is an initial grind using 52100, which I will be using more, because I am building my own heat treat oven.

This is not my design. It's my rendition of a style by Murray Carter.

Bos is the best heat treat I have used. Consistent hardness and very reasonable turnaround time. Nice blades there. Larry

I'm very happy with their service.

I started working on this guy. CPM M4. .200 tapered down to .080

5DIBdXC.jpg

YKNzKnq.jpg

RoKOv6g.jpg

slipjoint finished
making some progress in getting better

1095 blade and spring
jigged bone scales (gift from Mark Roe, knifemaker in Idaho)
SS liners, silicon bronze bolster with copper liner

C5DB61DA-55FC-499B-B4D3-5BA067F4C617_zps7agefywq.jpg

i woudl have rather used maple or cherry but the buyer picked walnut i got to keep all the crotchwood cause it was to risky to use on the plates more then i did for 2 reasons first being that it will mover around more when started to oil the plates and also you never know where bark pockets might be. i have already started cutting the nice stuff into handle blocks to ship to K@G to be stabilized

more less and you clean and oil them jsut the the endgrain boards they just show cut marks faster. i have left a 4.5 inch dovetailed "socket" on the back of the plates that fits my woodlath chuck jaws so they can even be sanded back out if need be down the road

It has been a while since I posted in here. I have a good excuse though! We've been moving the shop to a bigger and better location :) We did the main part of the move in a few days in early may but setting everything up and making improvements has taken a crazy long time! We're basically back to full time knife making now, instead of setting up equipment. We've got 2.5x more space in the new place. We were in one large room before, now we've got separate shop, office and assembly areas which is already making life at the shop more fun and efficient.

Here is the main shop area
35000893122_18327249fa_z.jpg
35000891612_769e33cbd4_z.jpg

One of the big improvements we've made is adding dust collection! Also, the air compressor and dust collector now live in a sound proofed storage closet which makes the rest of the shop way quieter :) We've also built new, taller splash shields for the CNC, now we have close to zero coolant escaping.
35000890232_d4d4164b0e_z.jpg
34779633430_9f7954ddb9_z.jpg

Here is the upstairs which consists of the office, lunch and assembly areas.
35165930515_d80198469b_z.jpg
35165944095_386dce6d3a.jpg
35001162642_a105ae5d1f.jpg

Sorry for the boring post. It is probably way more exciting to us that to you guys. There will be more actual knife related shop updates coming soon :)

My first attempt at a Loveless style double edge. Figured I'd start with a chute knife before jumping right to the big bear. It isn't absolutely perfect, but everything is even and symmetrical. Should be easy enough to tidy everything up after HT

would love to have a good source for olive wood everythign i get here is 50% waste due to cracking (good thing i hve a smoker rand olivewood is nice for fish ) i really need to see if i can get a few boards to make a set of cooking stiring spoons. also a rolling pin wouodl be nice

Back