Wheeler's Steel * Stuck in the metal with you

Hi guys- :)

Huh, I didn't see a pm about this...

I can appreciate that it must have taken quite a bit of work to compile this thread into a cleaned up pdf, but I think my feelings echo Lorien's pretty closely.

Quite a few people have asked me about putting a book together, and while I'm not sure if that's very likely to happen, it would be nice if I got to make the decision. I suppose since Lorien and I put it all on the web for people to see, many would argue I gave up that choice... I dunno.

Anyway, I am really glad that people are still being brought to BF by this thread and enjoying it. That was the ultimate goal.

Lorien, thanks for having my back buddy! :)

While I do appreciate all this great content, Nick and Lorien....at the risk of being my usually salty self...

The information got posted on Bladeforums, an internet forum for all the world to see, for free....unless the poster of the pdf offer asked for donations or outright pay, he is doing pretty much everyone a favor.

I don't agree at all with entitlement or the liberties people take with what others write, but the two of you made the decision, altruisticly to put this information out there.

SOMEONE is going to do whatever they want with it, and that is a fact of life.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

someone will, Steven, on that I agree with you.

Fortunately in this instance we were able to say something about it and let the community of people who value this thread understand where we stand on this issue.

This thread is for Bladeforums until such time as Nick decides to do something else with it. If someone wants to steal this content and rebroadcast it in some other fashion than exists currently, they are obviously free to do so. That would be highly unethical in my view but it is not my job to tell other people how they should conduct themselves.

Frankly, Steven, I do not understand why you feel as though you have anything to add to this matter at this point. Additionally, I do not care whether you agree with my views on this. Nick and I agree and that is all that matters to me.

Now, shall I lock this thread and shut down my photobucket account, or can we just get back to enjoying this little piece of the internet for what it is? :)

While I do appreciate all this great content, Nick and Lorien....at the risk of being my usually salty self...

The information got posted on Bladeforums, an internet forum for all the world to see, for free....unless the poster of the pdf offer asked for donations or outright pay, he is doing pretty much everyone a favor.

I don't agree at all with entitlement or the liberties people take with what others write, but the two of you made the decision, altruisticly to put this information out there.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Now, shall I lock this thread and shut down my photobucket account, or can we just get back to enjoying this little piece of the internet for what it is?

That right there is the very reason that people are motivated to compile this into a PDF.

It's great content and the slightest glitch or renaming of folders or change in link names (or removal of the account as a petulant show of force) means that it would disappear.
I've searched far and wide for some info only to find that the photo links are gone, or video is removed like in the very first post.

I've got a couple of comments on how this thread was administrated.

I don't understand the reasoning behind Lorien posting the photos and the text.
It meant that I read Nicks comments in first person, but posted by lorien - that was confusing for me.
It also means that any time I tried to search for the thread using Nick's name I came up with nothing.

All that techie stuff too, search engine rankings and such, no advantage to Nick when he's not posting.

Keep doing WIP's Nick, and consider a new book project partnered up with Darom or whomever - hindsight must have given you some new ideas since then.
I would love to have a comprehensive printed how to from you.

Look at the age of the how to standards, they are dated and no one has your approach and level of detail.

Last edited:
If someone wants to steal this content and rebroadcast it in some other fashion than exists currently, they are obviously free to do so. That would be highly unethical in my view but it is not my job to tell other people how they should conduct themselves.

Frankly, Steven, I do not understand why you feel as though you have anything to add to this matter at this point. Additionally, I do not care whether you agree with my views on this. Nick and I agree and that is all that matters to me.

Now, shall I lock this thread and shut down my photobucket account, or can we just get back to enjoying this little piece of the internet for what it is? :)

You can lock it if you want, Lorien...it's your thread on BFC...personally, I do think it should be locked and stickied, because it is that good....and should never go away....

I felt that I should add something because sometimes you seem to think that pointing out things like the bolded part above carries much weight to certain people who may or may not actually be part of the knife community....it doesn't......and it needed to be pointed out.

Carry on smartly.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I have summarized this thread into a simple PDF book. It is big: 363 pages packed with photographs translate into 67Mb of data. Please PM me for a link.

I have PM'd Nick about the book roughly a month ago, but got no reply, so I assume it'd be OK to start distributing it (free, obviously) unless he says otherwise. Also, there might be a few typos and errors, I do apologize for those in advance.

Thanks,
Al

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Some may feel it's a fact of life, but that is opinion and not quite how life actually works.

The content posted on these forums is held under copyright of its respective authors and collaborators but also under the copyright of bladeforums.com in their entirety and may not be reproduced, in part or in whole, for informational purposes, for fun, free or profit without the express written permission of the respective authors or copyright holders.

Hello,

First of all, let me apologize for jumping on it without actually talking to anyone (as it turns out Nick never received my PM/mail). Nick and Lorien, you guys have done an outstanding work and I just realized that it is SO valuable, that I do not want to lose it, even if the only person who's going to see it in the PDF form would be myself. So, I am quite content with just hogging the book all for myself.

That being said, I did want to print it, using one of the online printing brokers like Blurb, and I did want to send you guys a few free copies, and leave myself one or two too. But that was it, the end of my plan. I am not affiliated with any publishing company and definitely cannot offer any sort of book deal to the authors. Perhaps, one could call it "wasting their time".

I can assure both Lorien and Nick that the file hasn't been downloaded by anyone, and there are no digital copies of the book anywhere but my PC. I do have source code (it's a book compiled in LaTex, yep, I am a nerd) stored on GitHub in the private repository, for science, but as it's being a private repo nobody can access it.

Thanks,
Al

P.S. My feelings about the knowledge and information in general do echo Kohai's point of view however. I guess having several degrees make your life a bit information centered. Peace.

thank you for enjoying this thread.

As much as I'd like to keep it open, so that it can be brought up from time to time and inform new peeps as to its existence and possibly help them in some way, the turn this thread took an unfortunate turn which is why it's now locked.

With that being said, I still have control over how it ends and I want that to be a happy ending. Fortuitously, I received the following email yesterday, which I think will bring this thread to a close perfectly;

Hi,

I know this isn't necessarily a great idea to bring up your old personal
thread on your Nick wheeler camp knife but I just spent several hours
going through your and Nick's WIP thread and I just want to say thank you
both! I have been involved with using and collecting custom knives for 14
years now since I was 15 and started off with tactical knives and have now
sold almost all my TAC customs except a very special lefty mayo that Tom
helped my wife get me as a wedding present and am restarting my collecting
with only ABS makers. This WIP thread just reinforced why I'm doing what
I'm doing so thanks so much to both of you. i have a John White small
bowie with a Paul long sheath (an old JS knife of his) that is my start of
my collection. i used to do the tac knives cuz i use everything i own and
i use stuff hard but i discovered the forged knives just speak to me more
and they hold up great with use. Now I just need to figure out who I
should start buying from. It seems
like i'm gonna be in for a nasty learning curve on the ABS stuff and
trying to learn the makers and who to but from but it should be a fun
journey. Anyways I just wanted to say thanks again and let you know
that years later it is still benefitting people. If you have any advice
for me I'm all ears.

As a non denominational expression of humanist love during the festive season, Salem Straub volunteered his time to make sure this thread lives on!

Since my photobucket account will be expiring, all the photos embedded within this thread would have been lost. Salem stepped up and painstakingly copied and hosted all the photos here so that this thread could live on for the benefit of all who stumble across it.

All the best, ya'll!

That's great to hear!

Appreciate your effort in saving this legendary thread, Salem. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks once again to Nick and Lorien for creating it.

Happy Holidays everybody! :)

~Paul
My YT Channel
Lsubslimed

... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

My pleasure, and merry Xmas to bladeforums!
Going back through that thread so thoroughly, I noticed afresh how much of the way in which I work today is derivative of Nick's process and mindset. He was an absolute treasure to have around in those years, I miss him being around so much and I wish to see him rise to the ascendancy that he deserves in this craft...

He was an absolute treasure to have around in those years, I miss him being around so much and I wish to see him rise to the ascendancy that he deserves in this craft...

AMEN!

4 of the best bladesmith’s on the planet and all my friends

Truly a rare photo

Lurquin, Mirabile , Knight , Wheeler

rIfpZWd.jpg

I know this is a very old thread. But I just want to say thanks to Lorien Lorien for this. This is probably the greatest WIP ever made. I just went through it all again (for like the 3rd time) and screenshot all the neccessary info. It sucks nick is "semi retired" he is definitely a rare breed.

Back