1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Where can I buy silicon carbide powder?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Kentucky, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky

Dec 13, 2008
    Ive been looking for silicon carbide powder in 1500 grit but cant find any..Antone have a source? Thanks
    PS, there is NONE on ebay that I can find..Thanks

2. A. G. Russell

A. G. Russell

Mar 10, 2001
    Try your auto supply store, they may call it "valve grinding compound"

3. 1SHOT1KILL

1SHOT1KILL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Check with Osram Sylvania...they are one of the top manufacturers of the product.

4. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
  5. watercrawl

watercrawl

Jun 2, 2006
    Curious...what are you guys using this for?

6. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky

Dec 13, 2008
    Thanks so much guys, never thought to use "rock poish" in the search..Nicks wasnt the only recommendation for silicon carbide polish..Several others do as well..The last bit we have slowed down on the tool/axe making and tried to work on knife making...Lisa is much better at the fit finish than I ever was..
    I can weld two popsicles together in a paper fire but get impatient when it comes to fitting guards:D

8. richard j

richard j

Apr 1, 2007
    you can check with detroit abrasives.

9. thegeek574

thegeek574

Sep 3, 2010
    Quoted for truth.

10. watercrawl

watercrawl

Jun 2, 2006
  11. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Kentucky,
    This isn't aimed directly at you, but at the many people who ask similar questions without really looking.

I don't understand you not being able to find it ???

Using - "1500 grit silicon carbide "
    I did an ebay search and found lots for about $7/lb.
    Then I did a google search for "1500 grit silicon carbide powder", and found thousands of internet sources.

If a search does not get you the response you want, use a less defined search.
    A search for "1500 grit silicon carbide powder to do a Nick wheeler style hand finish on a 7" bowie knife".....won't get many hits. Even " 1500 grit silicone carbide powder" may be too specific.
    Instead of "1500 grit silicon carbide powder", use "1500 grit silicon carbide" That will get you:
    1500 grit silicon carbide polish
    1500 grit silicon carbide powder
    silicon carbide powder
    silicon carbide abrasives
    and many more.

A search on the basic product will often get you the type of places that use that product, and can lead you to the sources for those industries.
    For silicon carbide powder you can discover it is used in lapidary, machining, water jet cutting, abrasive blasting, lens grinding, etc. A check under those topics will find sources. Using wikipedia will often give you lots of ideas and links where you can search.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky

Dec 13, 2008
    To be completely fair I didnt read about the powder in Nicks thread first...I first read about it in a post by John White over on the ABS forum..
    I understand Stacy, I tried many wordings and came up with plenty of hits..Just none that didnt sell in bulk..I had no idea to search for "rock polish"..

13. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator

Jan 9, 2011
    Since we are on the topic of rock polishes does anyone use cerium oxide for polishing?

14. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I use it all the time....just not on metal. It polished quartz and glass well. I never tried it on metal.

15. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator

Jan 9, 2011
    Same here, I have only used it for lapidary. I was reading a section on polishing hamons in The Complete Bladesmith by Jim Hrisoulas and he mentioned using it.

I doubt I'll try any, I can't stand the stuff! My old shop was covered in it.