1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Where I Work

Discussion in 'DPx Hostile Environment Survival Tools' started by RYP, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RYP

RYP

Jul 11, 2009
    Just a reality check...

16 killed in shootout between Somali army, police
    (AP) – 4 days ago
    MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — Fighting between Somali government troops and police killed 16 people in Somalia's capital on Monday, witnesses said, underscoring the weak U.N.-backed government's inability to control its armed forces.
    The fighting began when police executed a plainclothes soldier they suspected of being an Islamist insurgent, police officer Ahmed Nur said. The soldier's colleagues arrived at the scene of the shooting in Benadir market and began attacking the police, he said.
    An Associated Press reporter saw 16 bodies at Medina hospital in Mogadishu. Some of the victims were wearing uniforms. Three of the victims were women. Hospital director Mohamed Yusuf said 30 people were wounded.
    Cleaners tried to mop up blood from the floor as women screamed outside the hospital. Hundreds of people gathered by the gates, seeking their wounded or dead.
    "My husband was killed," wept Hasno Ali. "He was just a businessman."
    The killings underscore the lack of discipline and command of Somalia's armed forces after 20 years of civil war. There have been several shoot-outs between police and soldiers in recent years and analysts say the Somali armed forces are more like a collection of militiamen than a well-trained, disciplined national force.
    Desertion over lack of pay has been a major problem, impeding the government's ability to fight an al-Qaida linked Islamist insurgency.
    Islamist suicide bombers have worn military uniforms before in some of its attacks — a common tactic in conflicts throughout the world — one reason why the police may have been overly suspicious.
    Currently international donors led by Italy and the U.S. are supposed to pay around 8,000 Somali soldiers. An EU-led program is halfway through training 2,000 Somali government troops but trainers say one of the biggest problems they faced has been the lack of midlevel junior officers whose duty it is to impose discipline and ensure orders are carried out.
    Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. darthsoaker

darthsoaker Basic Member Basic Member

May 2, 2006
    Hardcore. You're a Somalian soldier?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  3. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    He can't tell you...it's classified BIG SECRET NO FOOLIN WON'T TELL: HANDLE VIA SNACK BAR CHANNELS ONLY.

4. RYP

RYP

Jul 11, 2009
    no.. I get paid.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  5. Carolina River Rat

Carolina River Rat

Oct 29, 2008
    For what?

6. Cougar Allen

Cougar Allen Buccaneer (ret.) Platinum Member

Oct 9, 1998
    As for me, I have sometimes been in the very same country where violence was taking place -- at the very same time! :eek:

7. darthsoaker

darthsoaker Basic Member Basic Member

May 2, 2006
    I frequently drive without my seatbelt on. :cool:

8. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010
    Just a few days ago IN THE SAME STATE I LIVE IN someone was shot in a courtroom. Am I a super badass operator now?

9. DarthChicken

DarthChicken

Nov 6, 2008
    I find it remarkable that ryp has done something perceived as wrong, and suddenly everything he does is bad - his knives, what he does for a living, and now he's apparently throwing the whole military under the bus. I'm surprised you guys haven't attacked his mustache, lol

Fucking amazing the general turn of attitude around here.

10. protourist

protourist [P] irate Member Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    In your work, does character count?
    Do the people you work with work with you by choice or are they ordered to?

11. Cougar Allen

Oct 9, 1998
    No, actually people had noticed all that stuff earlier (yes, even the moustache). But when he threatened Ren's wife, well, "the straw that broke the camel's back" is not the right metaphor. That was more like the telephone pole that broke the camel's back. So now you suddenly see a camel under a pile of sticks as well as a telephone pole and you wonder where did those sticks come from? The camel was carrying the sticks all the time -- you just suddenly noticed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
  12. 1234

1234 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2005
    [​IMG]

1234,,,,,,:D

13. Ultimate

Ultimate

Jul 5, 2009
    I have leftover popcorn from the last thread.

14. 1234

1234 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2005
    I´m out of beer !

1234,,,,,:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

15. GWashington1732

GWashington1732 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2009
    One time I got a splinter from grandma's deck.

16. TyMathews

TyMathews

Sep 4, 2006
    He's a low speed, high drag operator. Just ask him.

For the record, he should still be banned. Ren took the high road and all Potsie did was close his thread. Pure class.

-Tye

17. Cougar Allen

Oct 9, 1998
    No, actually people had noticed that stuff earlier (yes, even the moustache). But when RYP threatened Ren's wife, well, that wasn't just the straw that broke the camel's back -- it was more like the telephone pole that broke the camel's back. So now you see a camel under a pile of sticks and a telephone pole and you wonder where did those sticks suddenly come from? The camel was carrying the sticks all the time; you just suddenly noticed.

18. protourist

protourist [P] irate Member Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Three out of five ain't bad.

19. Brennanscott

Brennanscott

Jul 8, 2010
    In before the inevitable lock!

20. TyMathews

TyMathews

Sep 4, 2006
    It's nice how we can segue from his closed thread to this one without missing a beat.

-Tye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.