Which is best the Kabar,Case or Ontario Marine knife?

As the title states which is the best Marine knife. Does anyone have experience with all three? I thought case had quit manufacturing them but I see they have them for sale.

Last edited:
Case or Ka-Bar.

Ka-Bar has a spongier handle and the coating last longer.

The Case is actually Camillus sub-contracted dead stock. It has a tougher handle finish and a nicer sheath.

They both perform equally well in the field.

As teh tilte steas . . . .

Not sure which company that is :) IMO the Ka-bar Co. makes the best version while the Ontario offering is mil spec if that is important to you.

Quite frankly I have used them all (except the Case) but the Camillus has a special place in my heart. It was my first 1219C FU and the one used the most.

The Case is actually Camillus sub-contracted dead stock.

Huh! I always figured Case contracted with Ontario for their version of the Marine Knife. The design, fit and finish looks just like the Ontario. Thin pommel, thin ground handle and guard stock, VERY similar blade shape.

Remember, Case never made the 1219 for the Guvmt. They only did a prototype which never went into production. BTW, the proto looked quite different from the modern rendition.

One of the knife mags mentioned Case contracting with Camillus years ago. I do note Case dropped the F-U a bit before Camillus closed.

Look how close they are:

on4981.jpg

CASE-334medium1.gif

Perhaps Case spec'd the knife according to the Ontario blue prints because the Camillus version is WAY different. Maybe someone from Case could chime in?

Well if it is Camillus dead stock, is the blade parkerized rather than epoxy coated(the one thing I don't like about Kabars).

Last edited:
Ok how many wish Kabar would go back to parkerized blades instead of the epoxy coating that comes off so easily?

I think the coating makes for a "prettier product" but the parkerizing appeals more to the purists. I have a modern version kabar that I stripped the coating off and parkerized. I like the pakerized look better. When it wears, it has a nicer look; better than chipped enamel.

I own the camillus mil spec, the commercial ka-bar, and an ontario spec plus sp1.

I would say go for the kabar or camillus personally. All five ontario knives I own, IMHO were not of the best condition when I got them. I have two ontario 499 survial knifes and they had burr up and down the whole edge on both of them when I bought them from an authorized dealer, my repro M3 trench knife has a terrible false edge grind and looks nothing like it should, my OKC 3S bayonet is perfect except the serrations have terrible burr on the whole serrated section, the tip of my spec plus sp1 was broken when I opend the box again from a authorized dealer; on a positive side my 1 of 500 operation iraqi freedom usmc commerative M9 bayonet is flawless. The quality contol at Ontario leaves me in awe....:(

No it is not. The USMC Fighting/Utility knife (and the USN Mk2 ) was first made by Camillus.

KaBar joined in with other companys to fill the governments orders.

Not according to this.
Please see my next post as well.

I own the KABAR and the CASE version, I like the CASE version better. Easier to sharpen, takes a wicked edge very easily and holds it well and the sheath I think is abit nicer. Handle is just slightly smaller which for some reason my paw likes a bit better. keepem sharp

Can't go wrong with a KABAR USMC. I've got a couple, and they've been really really abused. Still just as useful as the first day I got them.
Just make sure to back that bevel, and then convex the edge. For maximum performance.

Back