1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Who sells nice stag scales? Or Jigged Bone?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by HoosierQ, Nov 2, 2012.

1. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    I have an late 60's era "Original Bowie Knife" from Sabre of Japan. When new it had a hollow plastic faux jigged bone or stag handle that fell of pretty quickly. It has had a couple of handles on it since and this one is now off of it. Looks nice but it was not very ergonomic at all.

Anyway I would like to put some stag or jigged bone. I have looked at a lot of places and frankly, I just don't know my way around this material. The jigged bone I like the best (and stag) seems to come in very small pieces for traditional slip joints.

I am going to need about 5" long and 1" wide. The thicker the better but I am not opposed at all to putting in a colored fiber spacer so thickness is of lower importance. I have no guard for it but I figured I'll just get a piece of brass and go at it. If I have to make two or three before I get one I like...well, it's just brass. So the guard I think I can cover.

Anybody have any thoughts or experiences with same? Either stag of a nice pattern of jigged bone will suit me. I don't want to use wood as these "cowboy bowies" just look better with stag or bone. I also have a Mora #1 blade that I'd like to put a stag handle on. Stag rounds are easy enough to find though.

2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Masecraft supply co.

3. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    I would also recommend Culpepper.