1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.
  3. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Why all the DPX HEST's for sale?

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by longbow, Apr 17, 2011.

1. longbow

longbow Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 1999
    Ok lots of folks grabbing these and then selling them as fast as they get them and not for a profit it seems. What gives with these knives? thanks and keepem sharp

2. MORIMOTOM

MORIMOTOM

Oct 29, 2005
    any time a heavily hyped knife enters the market, lots of people preorder and ultimately decide its not for them.

3. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    I can't speak everyone selling them but I will say there was a lot of problems regarding tip and alignment, let alone the CS.. a better question would be why would anyone buy them?:eek:

4. -Lucky-

-Lucky- Gold Member Gold Member

May 11, 2010
    This. Over promise, under deliver.

5. Apec

Apec

Oct 30, 2007
    I think those were the LE runs that had the issue. The most recent ones up for sale are the plain jane HEST/Fs.

6. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010
    Is he even talking about the folder?

7. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003
    yes he's talking about the folder.

8. longbow

longbow Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 1999
    Yep folder. keepem sharp

9. HandofCod

HandofCod

Feb 27, 2010
    I've not been into the knife scene for very long but this the first folder I've seen where the manufacturer asked customers to send it back to them once the customer received it.

I've also seen problems with lock up posted which IMO is worse than the proud tip issues.

10. Noctis3880

Noctis3880 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2009
    From what I saw in one sale thread, one knife sent in for warranty repair came back worse with a ding in the coating, a badly scratched up pivot, and lots of blade play. Sounds like something that would make the early Striders look perfect by comparison.

11. steveg30

steveg30 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Well I just bought a second one . I love mine everything about it seems just right . lock up A+ Blade A+ Size A+ . New Graham knives is selling new ones for 145.00 most other place's are sticking it to people for 174.99 and the people on ebay are a joke trying to get 200.00 or more for them. I think its a very nice knife and a good EDC .Had A zt0551 and sold it and keep the hest .

12. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010
    If I could get my hands on one without flaws I'm betting I'll like it more than the 551 also. I guess if I do get one then the market will have 2 more 551s floating around. ;)

13. steveg30

steveg30 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 26, 2004
    I would love a 0550 if we ever see them ?

14. Noctis3880

Jul 22, 2009
    I don't get it. The 0551 doesn't have as thick a blade so it slices better and the steel easily has better edge retention(and tougher, and more stainless). I don't see the appeal.

15. Tony8179

Tony8179

Feb 20, 2008
    Nor do I.

16. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    +1

17. Noctis3880

Jul 22, 2009
    Aside from the stonewashed titanium, the only thing the HEST has going for it is that it would be more durable as a prybar. And while I suppose you could slam it into a bad guy's skull without much damage, penetration will suck. The wave opener seems kinda cool, though I don't believe the HEST folder is known for its smooth opening, so I would expect pockets to be more torn up than an Emerson.

18. vwspdshp

vwspdshp

Sep 20, 2008
    I also sold my 0551 and kept the HEST/F. Just more comfortable to me mostly, but I do like 1/4" hex lanyard hole and caplifter. I use those almost as much as the blade. Mine came perfect out of the box, and I'm very pleased with it even at the $175 I paid for it. My only issue is the clip. I broke it day one. Got a replacement quickly though, and a new clip design should be available soon.

19. Brian1095

Brian1095

May 22, 2010
    I must have gotten lucky with mine I got a regular production version from New Graham it is smooth opening with the wave and thumb stud it came sharp too. The only problem with mine is the edge is way to close to the spine when close I sliced my finger reaching in my pocket for it. The clip may be a little loose for some also but it doesn't bother me. All in all though I really like it, but then again I am kind of partial to blades that bite me. :D

20. Noctis3880

Jul 22, 2009
    You mean the blade stuck out the back of the handles when the knife is closed? Sounds like a serious issue to me.