1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Why Aren't There More Button Locks?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SpySmasher, Mar 13, 2017.

1. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Just got my Freeman 451 folder at the office so it hasn't done anything more than be flipped open and closed. Nothing approaching any real work but my first impression of the button lock is extremely positive. Good lockup with no play. A simple system that in my layman's experience would be plenty strong enough for 95% of EDC needs. The closing action is so safe and easy its only downside is that it's not purely ambidextrous though even I, a righty, can close it left-handed safely and with ease. So why aren't there more of these?

The only thing that occurs to me is that maybe they don't wear so well because the spring pressure is perpendicular to the lock face but then I think of how common they are on automatics.

So, why aren't there more button locks?

2. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    I agree I love button locks on both manuals and autos. I wish there were more.

3. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    One of my favorite styles of lock. I'd love to see more.

4. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    It would be nice if there were more knives with button locks. I have a few and they are great for EDC blades.

5. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Button locks are great and the 451 is a great knife!

Another great button lock is the RealSteel E775 Griffin. It can be found for right around $50.

6. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Hogue has some good button locks as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

7. moshow9

moshow9 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Mine came in this morning as well and I love it so far. Flipping action is smooth and closing is a breeze one handed.

[​IMG]

8. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    The only button lock I've ever seen executed perfectly is done by custom maker Rod Olson.

9. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    G&G Hawk, Brian Tighe, Spartan, Hogue, Freeman.
    I've got one of each or more of these laying around.
    Sorta got a thing about buttons I guess. :eek:

10. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Yup!!
    Hogue does do a great button lock!
    Joe
    [​IMG]

11. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Oh that's a nice one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

12. Barman1

Jun 21, 2013
  13. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
  14. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003

I like my 451 flipper except that I have to send it in for a new blade which won't be made until June :(

15. Barman1

Jun 21, 2013
    What happened to the blade?

16. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Hmm! Some knives I need to research.

17. moshow9

Jun 28, 2010
    +1, and why so long?

18. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Yes Hogue does make excellent button locks. For some reason this lock type seems to appear mostly on autos. I don't understand why as it is such an excellent lock type. Perhaps part of the reason is it is not ambidextrous? Hogue makes an excellent lock with metal plates in the handle scale's G10 body to support the lock and includes a little lock to lock the button so the knife stays locked open or closed.

It is one of my favourite locks too, it seems very simple and not prone to wear at all. I heard that it is self adjusting for any wear there may be which I assume would be minimal. I would definately like to see it used more.

19. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003

He said he must have drilled the hole to large or something. And I don't know why it would take till June to make a new batch of blades though. Must be super busy with other things.

One thing I really like about this knife is the option to open it with the flipper or the thumb groove in the blade. It's nice having options :cool:

20. moshow9

Jun 28, 2010
    Too bad it couldn't have just been swapped out. Hope you get it back sooner than quoted!