Why chrome plate a hatchet?

We were having a discussion over on the Buck forum about an old Buck hatchet that was chrome plated but no one knew why they would do such a thing as chrome tends to chip off if used. I had a hatchet back in the 1960's that was chrome plated carbon steel. It seems as if the coated the steel with copper or brass, then chrome plated it. I know it helps with corrosion but using it will make the chrome chip off. Can any of you experts illuminate me on the thinking of the companies back then going to the trouble to do this?

Thanks

The only chrome plated hatchet I've ever seen was a maritime axe on an old tug. Kept for emergency cutting of heavy lines, stored on hooks in the aft of the boat. Since ideally you never need to use it, but it needs to be at hand quickly and as rust proof as possible chrome makes sense. Interestingly it wasn't very sharp and was chromed over the edge, not sure if they were supposed to be sharpened or what, but it had a fairly shallow grind so it'd probably do the job still.

I've got a chromed k-bar hatchet. Relatively thin one-piece blade and handle with stacked leather grip. I'd imagine that the point was to minimize corrosion. Interesting piece. I'm tempted to do a cutting test and a knife of roughly the same length and weight.

People like shiny things.
Were it strictly for corrosion resistance, there is plenty of less expensive coatings.

Wonderfully decorative, and guaranteed never to be used or tossed out! Ever notice how civic officials tend to use a shiny (chrome or nickel plated) shovel to turn the sod at a new edifice or lay the cornerstone of a new building or monument with a shiny trowel? A plated axe (Black Raven anyone?) made for a wonderful trophy or achievement award, especially if it had anything to do with industry or forestry.

If rust prevention is the problem better to use stainless steel axes. Here any knife store can obtain them in a weight variety from 0,5kg to 2kg axes.

2355B33E8D285537AFAF295537AF4D.jpg

They are butcher axes, but sometimes people ask the maker for felling or splitting stainless axes. He allways says carbon steel is better but if the buyer is focused in owning a stainless axes he produces them attending to his demands.

I have allways been curious about these type of axes, specially about stainless steel felling axes. I have talked about a 1,75kg felling axe user in a Spanish forum about it. He says his axe works perfectly.

It can be nice and shiny, but I only buy stainless for butchering. I prefer a carbon or tool steel axe to use it in the wood.

Last edited:
Because on
What makes steel stainless is a high chromium content (about 15%), so it isn't to far of. I believe the one above is actually from Jauregi (hachas artesanas) Ugaldie? As for axes from stainless steel: If it's done right it isn't a problem. But its harder to grind/file and a bit more brittle. So it all comes down to the temper It should work fine though if done correctly.

Other then that I only like my edge shiny, so stainless isn't for me. It's used for preparing food because t doesnt stain it. As for a chrome axe: Why????
Because only the edge will rust, less maintenance.

People like shiny things.
Were it strictly for corrosion resistance, there is plenty of less expensive coatings.
In 1950 or 1960 when mine was made? Stainless was not common yet. There is a reason that S&W was doing factory nickle-plated pistols, and it wasn't just the bling factor.

Back