• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Why the lack of shipping outside US?

Magizm7

Gold Member
As a new member to the forum and living in the UK I was pleased to see so many traditional folders appearring on here for sale but I think I can count on one hand the sellers that are willing to ship outside of the US and they seem to be the ones at exorbitant prices.

What is the reason behind this? I have purchased lots of knives from the traditional and smaller US online retailers without any problems.

A lot of these knives are hard to get in the UK, anybody willing to share some of the goodies with rest of the world?

Not just in UK. I´d say the whole rest of the world. Germany here is the same thing.

I think the main problem is the shipping. I can take weeks - yes actually weeks - from the US. I remember clearly after eight weeks a small package arrived here from North California. I almost thought it was lost. And a tracking number doesn´t help that much, when it leaves the US. The USPS seems to have another tracking system than here in Europe. The appear as long they are in the US and then they are gone... after some weeks they tend to appear at your doorstep.

That being said - I think many sellers avoid the overseas shipping. Customs also be a problem sometime when they catch the package and you have to go there, open the package and show them what´s in there etc etc

It can be tricky. But a rather strange thing... from Europe to US it only takes a few days... and not long weeks of waiting.

Folks want a quick and easy sale. The US has a deep pool of buyers that are simple to ship to.

Add into that some international buyers (and US buyers too from reading the GBU posts) will manipulate the system to steal product. When someone does that in the US it's simpler to resolve vs. international.

It's frustrating for me also since it is pretty simple to ship to Canada. I have found the sellers here are mostly open to working this out but the problem in the traditional section is some of them sell so fast you never get a chance to ask. You could try posting around the porch and some want to buy posts if you're after something specific.

I've missed out on 2 Michigan Jacks in red saw cut bone due to this very thing.

Welcome to Bladeforums @Magzim7. A worthwhile question and discussion. Since it's about purchasing traditional knives and not a discussion of traditional knives I'm going to move this to GB&U. A more appropriate sub-forum.

I'm not a shop owner so my mailing/ shipping to other countries experience is limited. That being said, you have customs issues, different taxes for each country, different countries laws on the items (particularly knives), often multiple carries once it makes it to another country, and harder ways of determining if an item was stolen vs money withheld or customs deciding it's illegal, etc. This doesn't count the shipping costs on top of insurance costs. Might be too much hassle, time, and money for people that don't sell knives for a living

Personally, I've had issues receiving items my family mailed to me in the UK while I was studying abroad (many years ago). I received my first credit card after I left and I had to pay something like $50 to pick it up through customs... A credit card in an envelope.

I've shipped multiple items to a church in the Philippines, and had multiple issues with delivery because of unfiled paperwork of the church, different delivery services contracted out by American delivery services having problems coordinating delivery, customs taxes that weren't supposed to be, and not to mention the expensive shipping fee.

Thanks for your input guys.

As I said I haven't had any problems shipping from US and maximum waiting time has been maybe two weeks but that's often down to our customs.

I have seen USPS slammed a lot but that seems to work OK for me and I can see the status when it moves through the UK.

The point I would make is there are other carriers for which I would be willing to pay.

Thanks Mod, I wasn't sure where to post it.

I'm not a shop owner so my mailing/ shipping to other countries experience is limited. That being said, you have customs issues, different taxes for each country, different countries laws on the items (particularly knives), often multiple carries once it makes it to another country, and harder ways of determining if an item was stolen vs money withheld or customs deciding it's illegal, etc. This doesn't count the shipping costs on top of insurance costs. Might be too much hassle, time, and money for people that don't sell knives for a living

Personally, I've had issues receiving items my family mailed to me in the UK while I was studying abroad (many years ago). I received my first credit card after I left and I had to pay something like $50 to pick it up through customs... A credit card in an envelope.

I've shipped multiple items to a church in the Philippines, and had multiple issues with delivery because of unfiled paperwork of the church, different delivery services contracted out by American delivery services having problems coordinating delivery, customs taxes that weren't supposed to be, and not to mention the expensive shipping fee.

Thanks S Scott321 that certainly would explain why people might not want to bother.

From my experience I think things have improved certainly US to UK but I recognise that there are many other variables.

I've had horrible experiences mailing outside of the US. Actually mostly with Germany.

If the buyer has a good rating, I'll ship outside of the US, only if they cover the two things:

1. They cover the difference in shipping.
2. I will only except PayPal F/F as payment.

Since PP changed their policy to 6 months, its been a horrible pain In the ass. Specially when it takes 6 weeks to get to a country. I don't need the hassle, so if they ar willing to do F/F I'm okay with it.

But generally speaking it's a pain in the ass, like another poster said, when there is a massive pool of people to buy in the states.

Socks

Thanks Socks.

Thats all I'm looking for - somebody willing to look at the possibilities of shipping elsewhere.

I would be happy to comply with both your points.

Thats funny I have just returned something to Germany and its been awol for 6 weeks!!

As a new member to the forum and living in the UK I was pleased to see so many traditional folders appearring on here for sale but I think I can count on one hand the sellers that are willing to ship outside of the US and they seem to be the ones at exorbitant prices.

What is the reason behind this? I have purchased lots of knives from the traditional and smaller US online retailers without any problems.

A lot of these knives are hard to get in the UK, anybody willing to share some of the goodies with rest of the world?

I've had a few, very successful International sales via BF's. I've shipped to Russia, Australia, Canada and Mozambique, without incident. Unfortunately, I've read too many horror stories since, and ceased taking these types of risks.

It's nothing personal. I'd love to be able to do business with all of BF's Internationally based knife enthusiasts...

Unfortunately, thanks to the a few unscrupulous, thieving, knife enthusiast/Customs Agent's (I've read about)- they're the one's I don't trust! :mad: :thumbsdown: And then there's always the risk of postal theft.

Welcome to BladeForums, magizm7! :thumbsup:

I've had qualms in the past in shipping items overseas, but the few experiences I've had have convinced me it's complicated but generally ok. I leave it up to the buyer to let me know if they're overseas or not (so far all have done so) and to offer to pay the extra for shipping, it seems that most folks from outside the country will let you know such info and plan accordingly.

But, it's extra work for the seller with less of a chance of getting the item returned if it's not satisfactory, so I can understand why many don't want to put forth the extra work. I would rather make the BF experience the best it can be for all members not just those in the same country as me.

There's a U.S. based service somewhere in the Pacific Northwest that will forward packages anywhere in the world. The seller only needs to ship to that service provider in the U.S. and they take care of it from there. There are a few members on this forum that reside outside of the U.S. and they use the service with good results as far as I know.

It allows them to purchase from members who refuse to ship overseas because the seller doesn't actually ship it overseas.

I'm sorry but I don't know the name of the place as I've only shipped there one time. You might consider looking it up or maybe someone who uses it will reply.

I have mostly found that starting a conversation with a seller and being knowledgeable of the USPS, my own postal system (and how the interface works between them) and Customs that I have a) had few sellers that were not willing to work with me and b) no issue with delivery. I have also been helped out by a few great members here who have acted as a proxy for me and received blades on my behalf and on shipped to me. It is just about good informed communication.

Andy

Shipping over seas can be an added hassel for some.
-Customs documents-
Standing in line at the P.O.

Added shipping charges.$20 bucks for 1 Spyderco.
Once it leaves U.S. custody. It is hit or miss if it arrives to final destination.

If it does not. Then that's where it will go bad.

Is it the sellers fault if customs confiscated it?
Your mail handler opens it up?

Only way I ship overseas is using the much hated F&F on PayPal.

So far.
I have shipped to Europe, Australia, Russia, UAE and Saudi Arabia with no issues.

Latin America is sure bet something will go wrong.
Africa...

When I have something up for sale.
I usually add on my title that I ship overseas.

Last edited:
I've had a few, very successful International sales via BF's. I've shipped to Russia, Australia, Canada and Mozambique, without incident. Unfortunately, I've read too many horror stories since, and ceased taking these types of risks.

It's nothing personal. I'd love to be able to do business with all of BF's Internationally based knife enthusiasts...

Unfortunately, thanks to the a few unscrupulous, thieving, knife enthusiast/Customs Agent's (I've read about)- they're the one's I don't trust! :mad: :thumbsdown: And then there's always the risk of postal theft.

Welcome to BladeForums, magizm7! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate your comments. Its always a few bad uns that spoil it for the rest.

I've had qualms in the past in shipping items overseas, but the few experiences I've had have convinced me it's complicated but generally ok. I leave it up to the buyer to let me know if they're overseas or not (so far all have done so) and to offer to pay the extra for shipping, it seems that most folks from outside the country will let you know such info and plan accordingly.

But, it's extra work for the seller with less of a chance of getting the item returned if it's not satisfactory, so I can understand why many don't want to put forth the extra work. I would rather make the BF experience the best it can be for all members not just those in the same country as me.

Thats great, I appreciate that you are open to possibility of shipping elsewhere. Most dont entertain it.

There's a U.S. based service somewhere in the Pacific Northwest that will forward packages anywhere in the world. The seller only needs to ship to that service provider in the U.S. and they take care of it from there. There are a few members on this forum that reside outside of the U.S. and they use the service with good results as far as I know.

It allows them to purchase from members who refuse to ship overseas because the seller doesn't actually ship it overseas.

I'm sorry but I don't know the name of the place as I've only shipped there one time. You might consider looking it up or maybe someone who uses it will reply.

Railsplitter Railsplitter I have looked at that in the past for single items but it may be worth looking at for a number of items. I shall start investigating.

Thanks for your comments

If foreign buyers would send payment via Western Union, and assume all of the risks, it could work. Unfortunately everybody hates this idea.

If foreign buyers would send payment via Western Union, and assume all of the risks, it could work. Unfortunately everybody hates this idea.
Western Union & Fedex shipping. I'd be willing to ship overseas under those circumstances but the buyer would pay through the nose for the privilege. It would seriously eat into whatever advantage they'd get from buying used knives off the exchange.

So how does one US dealer that I have used charge 15USD for post to Australia and others are up in the 50s?
That. I dont understand.
Are they hiring a member of the royal family to take it to the mailbox and lick the stamps?
Unfortunately I just have to cop it.I draw the line at postage that is above 50% of the price of the knife. Its that or drive out into the bush to a rural town where they might have a store with something other than SAKs or Chinese bowies .The distance involved last time would be equivalent in the UK to driving from Surrey to Exeter and back.

It sucks, tbh. No seller here wants to exclude non-US buyers, I'm sure, but it's not like some regular guy or gal has the financial resources to eat the cost of a knife if things go wrong. Large retailers, at least, ship so many knives that if they lose a few it just "eats into their profits" rather than represent a serious loss. A small-time seller has be more risk-averse than a bigger operation.

I have mostly found that starting a conversation with a seller and being knowledgeable of the USPS, my own postal system (and how the interface works between them) and Customs that I have a) had few sellers that were not willing to work with me and b) no issue with delivery. I have also been helped out by a few great members here who have acted as a proxy for me and received blades on my behalf and on shipped to me. It is just about good informed communication.

Andy

^ :thumbsup:

I think what it boils down to, is the manner in which a person goes about communicating with you.

After I had already resigned myself to not doing anymore International transactions, I listed a Benchmade 42 for sale, that was LNIB.

There was a member here (from down under), who desperately wanted to buy this 42 Springer. He reached out to me & was willing to accept all risks with it both making through Australian Customs, & arriving to it's final destination. He also had a reputable BF proxy buyer located here in the States, who I contacted; along with a couple of his reputable BF fellow countryman, who contacted me and vouched for him.

Anyone who was willing to go to the lengths this member did, deserved consideration. :thumbsup:

Everything went off without a hitch, and it turned out to be a perfect transaction! I'd be willing to do this again, provided the prospective buy took the initiative to be as personable and professional, as this mate down under, was.

There are some countries, however, that I would never ship to- under any circumstances! The Philippines being one of them! The USPS refuses to allow insuring packages being shipped there, it's that bad! Postal theft is so prevalent, & there's basically no recourse, once a package goes MIA.

Back