1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

why this kind of behavior would happen?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Spirch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    I have sharpened my blade with an edge of 18 degree on both side(I am correct to say 36 inclusive?), it can nicely shave and pass the fingernail test

I can't seem to feel/view any burr.

but it has difficulty to cut 2 sides of this paper. anyone would know why?

[video=youtube;Jj11G1e-qmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj11G1e-qmQ[/video]

2. Skimo

Skimo

Mar 28, 2009
    Thin paper, unpolished edge.

BM 710?

3. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    I used a 600 grit fine stone to finish it, it wouldn't be enough?

4. Skimo

Skimo

Mar 28, 2009
    Nope, 600 grit doesn't mean very much unless I know who makes it.

To clarify, yellow pages and push cutting edges requires more than 600 grit from any manufacturer.

I myself enjoy the Edge Pro 600 grit stone for EDC use because it's still toothy enough to really dig in, the digging in on the thin and flimsy paper is what's causing the tear.

5. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    lansky, (this one

6. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    yes it is the benchmade 710 with the m390

7. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    I just took a random page of my phone book and it didn't had the issue of this video, no problem cutting 4 sides :confused:

I could make a video of it if needed

8. Skimo

Skimo

Mar 28, 2009
    I don't know, but my guess is that lansky 600 grit stone is probably around 22 +-3 micron. Maybe someone else has a the grits for them.

The bottom line is your edge is too coarse.

9. Skimo

Skimo

Mar 28, 2009
    No video needed, it wasn't cutting paper, and now it is, problem solved? :cool:

I hope you enjoy that 710, those are some good knives, and I hear that steel is no slouch.

10. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    ok :eek:

is there a stone from lansky that would be fine enough?

11. Skimo

Skimo

Mar 28, 2009
    Maybe their ceramic hones, but I'm not into Lansky.

I'll report my post and we can get this moved into MT&E.

12. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    I really do, first time that I use a folder with AXIS lock. Really like it!

also, it took a WHILE to reprofile it with my lansky stone, it's not the diamond version

the lansky system say 20 degree but i took time to calculate the angle by myself and it is in fact between 18 and 18.5

13. sloth357

sloth357 Platinum m0f0 Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Hey- I have a thought.. this happens to me.. its almost like a test to get past. Paper fibers are laid in patterns. Different paper, different patterns. Some are consistent from all angles, others are like rows..

I have a few different kinds that I use for sharpness tests. One, like your video, cuts easy on the two longer sides, but top and bottom are harder. Once I clean the edges a bit more and strop it, I can get it to slice all sides. Of course the knife has to have a nice "slicey" edge geometry to start with.

So just polish that edge more with stroping or a high grit stone, 1000+. Make sure not to over strop or you lose that fine edge... gl!

14. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    ok, i'm new to this forum, I wasn't sure where to ask this question. :eek:

15. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    thanks, I will try to see if my local store have better lansky stone this week! :D

16. Ramil839

Ramil839

Feb 11, 2012
    Have you tried Japanese water stones?I got some fairly good one,220 grit,1000 grit and 4000 grit,gets a very sharp edge,especially on cooking knives,managed to sharpen a 20" Kukri to hair popping sharp,i highly recommend them and will never switch to anything else.

17. JGguns

JGguns

Nov 15, 2009
    I use the lansky kit and can get a nice polished edge out of the 1000 grit ceramic . It's the yellow handled stone. I believe academy sports sell them. I use the 1000 grit stone then finish up on a cheap home made strop and it makes a scary sharp edge.

18. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    Sorry, not fine enough of a stone is not a very good verdict.

I've seen knives split hairs from a 600 grit stone so.... to me it looks to be one of a few things, 1) a burr 2) there is still a gap at the apex between the bevel slopes 3) you used a guide and created sharp shoulders to the bevel which will cause difficulties in slicing thin paper.

19. TriviaMonster

TriviaMonster

Jan 2, 2012
    I agree with knifenut, I have edges stopping at a Chosera 400 which is not very fine at all, about 23+or-2 microns and it will slice paper like it's butter, better yet my 125micron diamond plate will slice newsprint, not quite pushcut, but sometimes it will pushcut if I clean the edge up with a strop or a deburring felt. No reason even a really coarse 600 grit edge couldn't do it unless there was an underlying issue.

Go back to your sharpener with a sharpie and see if you are really hitting the apex, that will narrow it down to 2 of knifenuts suggestions.

On another note, how long did it take to reprofile that steel with that system?

How sharp was it off your first(profiling) stone? If it's not crazy sharp off your first stone, no matter how far you take the edge grit wise, it will never be.

And wow, what a gorgeous 710-2 with M390. I have one just like, it's thin enough behind the edge that newsprint, phone book paper, or whatever else shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck, and Congratulations on a gorgeous Axis Benchmade, it surely won't be your last.

20. Skimo

Skimo

Mar 28, 2009
    We'll have to disagree then, but I think that objectively splitting hairs and slicing news paper or yellow pages are two different things. I can pass the HHT after a reprofile with the ATOMA 140 grit... and that will NOT cleanly cut TP and it won't push cut news paper or yellow pages.