1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Wicked Edge owners I need some help

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by rycen, Oct 4, 2012.

1. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    I've only done a few knives so far but they have turned out as expected with no issues except working around the FFG issue.Tried another one yesterday and I am having a problem near the tip with the angle changing, not the width of the bevel.I checked and the knife was solid in the clamp because at first I thought maybe it was shifting a little bit towards the tip.Here is a pic to illustrate the issue

[​IMG]

2. Komitadjie

Komitadjie

May 31, 2011
    I'm not ENTIRELY sure what I'm looking at here, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the bevel needs more working down near the tip, it hasn't apexed yet...

3. jwaj

jwaj

Dec 19, 2002
  4. Alchemy1

Alchemy1 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Some chamois will help the FFG problem. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you a piece in an envelope.

5. rycen

Aug 22, 2002
    Thanks for digging that up. I think I looked at that before I bought the Wicked Edge.

6. rycen

Aug 22, 2002
    I appreciate the offer but I actually tried some chamois and didn't have very good results.I seem to do better with the double sided foam tape.

7. duro

duro

May 25, 2012
    It looks like you haven't matched the exact edge of the knife, thus you're actually reprofiling. Like others mentioned, just need more work at the tip. Make sure you don't run the stones past the tip, but rather stop the stone near the end, or middle on the tip.

8. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I ran a dry erase marker (NOT a sharpie because it takes a lot to remove it) along the grind to make sure I had the angle correct. I would usually have to reposition it several times to avoid having the main part of the blade at 18 (for example) and the tip at 10 degrees. It took some practice, and I actually jacked up a couple of knives pretty good till I got it down. (Thanks knifeknut for fixing them!)