Wicked Knife Co. Air Assault

chad234

BANNED
Newt Livesay's Air Assault
View

The Model #131 "Air Assault" made by Newt Livesay of the Wicked Knife Co. has proven itself to be an excellent field knife. It is well constructed of 1095 heat treated and triple drawn to 60-61 RC with a total length of 10 1/8" with a 5 3/8" inch long .214 inch thick clip point, hollow ground blade which features a semi-flase edge on the spine. The handle is made of black electrical grade linen micarta and the knife features full tang construction. The most appearent characteristic of the Air Assault (and Newt's knives in general)are the outstanding micarta work and ergonomics. Every person who has held the knife remarks on its comfort and the excellent handle. There is a notch extension at the base of the spine which accepts the thumb perfectly in a forward grip (sabre) and the rounded contoured handle feels natural in the reverse grip with the thumb naturally going over the rounded butt.
I have found that the most basic test of a knife is in the kitchen. I have used the Air Assault on many occasions to butcher, slice and chop both meat and vegtables. Although somewhat thick to peel potatoes with it gets the job done. With it's excellent edge geometery it excells at dismantaling roasted chickens. The linen micarta handle provided an excellent grip even when my hands were covered in grease or water.
View

The knife came with a very well constructed Kydex sheath designed for vertical carry attached to LBE (load bearing equipment) or a pack strap. I don't wear LBE or packs very often so I constructed a sheath of .080 concealex & black eyelets (from Blade-Tech).
I have seen a picture of On-scene Tactical's sheath for this knife and it looks excellent or Newt can ship it with a belt sheath at your request (Newt also does custom Kydex work).
I then used the Air Assault to chop through a tough maple branch. The Air Assault chopped through it with ease, again a tribute to it's excellent edge geometery and ergonomics
View

Shown here with the Concealex sheath I made:
View

I then used the Air Assault to slice through some very tough hemp rope. Even though I had polished the edge using jewelers rouge and a leather strop (most of my cutting tasks tend to be push cuts i.e. during food prep) it still "bit" well and I sliced through the rope with no trouble.
View

In conclusion the Air Assault is a well balanced and designed knife which features great ergonimics and construction.
For more information visit the Wicked Knife Co. at www.newt.livesay.com
Be safe,
Chad

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"Those who hold the thin blue line keep order, and insure that anarchy and chaos will not prevail."

[This message has been edited by chad234 (edited 09-05-2000).]

Really enjoy reading your reviews, not to mention the excellent pictures. Can't agree more with you about the AA, feels like it was made specifically for my hand.

What are you using to sharpen your AA with?? I've been using the Spyderco 203 and it's a slow process getting it hair popin sharp. (might need to find a strope)

------------------
SAS RKBA freedom Scottsbluff Cowboy Shooters Cheyenne Regulators

Originally posted by Shrike9:
Really enjoy reading your reviews, not to mention the excellent pictures. Can't agree more with you about the AA, feels like it was made specifically for my hand.

What are you using to sharpen your AA with?? I've been using the Spyderco 203 and it's a slow process getting it hair popin sharp. (might need to find a strope)

Shrike,
Thanks for the kind words, they do a body good.
I use DMT diamond bench stones when I want to reprofile the edge of a knife (change the secondary bevel angle and width) the X-Coarse and Course stones remove metal quickly. I then sharpen on an oversize Eze Lap fine diamond bench stone and finish off on leather strops charged with rouge (white and jewelers.) I made my strops out of an old duty belt, and they work great. very light pressure, edge trailing produces a mirror polished edge that is super sharp. Just remember that a polished edge doesn't provide as much "bite" as a micro-serrated one.
In the field I use a DMT diafold fine/x-fine and an eze lap type m round, diamonds are a man's best friend too. I also keep a hunk of jewlers rouge in my pack and use a portion of the inside of my belt as a strop.
The sheath pictured above is the one I emailed you about.
BTW I found a SERE at Proedge knives (should ship today) and my offer still stands.
I know that your AA will serve you well on your upcoming deployment.
Be safe,
Chad

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"Those who hold the thin blue line keep order, and insure that anarchy and chaos will not prevail."
Chad

[This message has been edited by chad234 (edited 09-05-2000).]

I've got a Livesay Company Knife that feels like it was made for my hand, so I know what you mean! Great review! Nice pics too.

Professor.

Newt's Air Assault is one of my favorite knives. I went and got a sheath from Scott Hendryx very much like the one pictured on page 34 of Tactical Knives, May 2000 issue! I try to get some use out of it every week.

Newt's knives are very functional and he does seem to have a gift for handle design. I own two of his larger creations (including the AA), and a few of his smaller offerings. I've shown that particular knife to a lot of people and they all note how well the handle lets the knife flow from saber to reverse grip and back again. Of course I choose to put a lanyard in the hole which spoils that particular effect, but then I don't do much knife fighting...

There may be sexier knives, but none that work harder for the price...

Just my luck you must have gotten the last SERE Proedge had, they will be getting back to me latter if/when the will be getting some more in. Think I'm just going to stick with the 203 for the time being, as my sharping skills leave something to be desired.

However, now the I've finally gotten contacts (that's a good thing) the search for a excellent pair of blades has also begun.

Hate getting ready to go away, seems I'm playing ketchup getting everything that's been sizzling on the back burnner for months.

[This message has been edited by Shrike9 (edited 09-06-2000).]

Originally posted by Shrike9:
Just my luck you must have gotten the last SERE Proedge had, they will be getting back to me latter if/when the will be getting some more in.
However, now the I've finally gotten contacts (that's a good thing) the search for a excellent pair of blades has also begun.

I got lasik about a year ago www.icon.com
I love it, got a great price on it too.

Sorry if I snatched the last SERE but I've got to fondle a couple and they are sweet. I think the Military is a better knife for you though.
BTW found some pics of your truck, that is one stomping ride.
Take care,
Chad

------------------
George Orwell
Chad

Went and ordered a Military since nobody has any SERE's in stock. According to rumor (eye doc) the AF will start doing lasik sometime next year, think I'll just wait and see about getting it done for free
smile.gif
smile.gif

Gee whiz, what's this about you having a RTAK and not posting any pictures or a review
wink.gif
wink.gif

Now you go and get a Buese#9.....Let us know how it compares to the RTAK, I've wanted one (RTAK) for quite some time. The #( is quite the blade though!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Shrike9 (edited 09-08-2000).]

Shrike,
The RTAK review will be posted this weekend,
probably tonight. Sorry for the delay. The Spyderco Military is a fantastic folder, probably the best knife around for what we do. That RTAK for sale over in the for sale forum is a great deal, I saw you eyeballing it. If I didn't have one already I'd be all over that. My RTAK is actually a custom ground one with a 14" blade (as opposed to the standard 10 1/2") and Newt did an awsome job on it. I'll let you know how the Busse compares. It is actually your fault that I had to shell out the bucks for the Busse, you've said some good things about the #9 and I couldn't let that one slip by.
BTW you'll love LASIK it's about time the USAF jumped on it.
Take care,
Chad

------------------
George Orwell
Chad

Nice review and pictures. How did the blueing hold up? Did you notice that it actually prevented further staining/rusting? Or is it just there for cosmetic purposes, not preventing rusting, but further discoloration since the blade is "prestained"?

Originally posted by Ralf:
Nice review and pictures. How did the blueing hold up? Did you notice that it actually prevented further staining/rusting? Or is it just there for cosmetic purposes, not preventing rusting, but further discoloration since the blade is "prestained"?
Thank you. The finish has held up very well, and I have not had any problems with corrosion. The finish is quite nice, it acts rather like a sponge and soaks up the peanut oil I use to coat the blade. I'll be the first to say it isn't pretty, but it does the job, namely preventing light reflection (not a requirement for my use, but for some of the high speed low drag types using Newt's blades it is a legitimate concern) and preventing rust. I have never had a corrosion problem, I just coat the blades with a food grade oil (I find that peanut works best) as I use my field knives frequently for food prep. If food prep is not a concern I'd go with a sentry solutions cloth.
Be Safe,
Chad

gottagetit
gottagetit
gottagetit
gottagetit
gottagetit
gottagetit
gottagetit
gottagetit
smile.gif

gottagetit
smile.gif

gottagetit
smile.gif

what kind of waiting period is there?e.g.-is it shipped immediately,or do i have to wait for it to be built?ive also decided that im going to get a neck knife first,and if i like it,then ill get the AA.thanks.
~MAURICE

------------------
the pompetous of love lame bastid

Back