1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Windlass Steelcrafts - wall hangers?

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by NI200, Nov 18, 2010.

1. NI200

NI200

Dec 20, 2000
    I usually play with knives but recently I saw a picture of Windlass Russian Kindjal and can't get it out of my head. What do you guys think about it? is it practical or just a wall hanger? does anyone have/use/hangs on wall windlass swords/daggers?

2. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    I owned one briefly, it's a pretty nice piece for the money. That I think in a nutshell sums up windlass. They are pretty nice for the money. You have to pick and choose from among their pieces. Some of them are good (again with the qualifier of for the money) and others are completely bunk (even for the money). In general I think Windlass has progressed over the last 7-8 years. Still I wouldn't call them wall hangers their heat treats are generally decent and some of the other characteristics in handling and geometry are getting better. Just don't expect a multi-thousand dollar sword and you will be fine.

3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I have a few Windlass pieces. As mentioned above, they're good for how much you drop on them. They're functional, for sure, but are often not the best in terms of fit, finish, handling characteristics, or historical accuracy. But they work and don't break the bank.

4. senoBDEC

senoBDEC

Mar 13, 2005
    Windlass are nice but some of the shorter knives/swords don't have the best handle/tang build and geometry and some of the larger swords have decent construction but not the best edge geometry or sharpening, etc. Basically you'll almost always have some issues but for the money, they're not bad at all.

5. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    I've owned a few Windlass pieces over the years and my biggest gripe is with the crappy handle construction. The blades tend to be well tempered and serviceable although the longer blades tend to be a bit 'whippy'. They're best bought for the blades for which you can add your own customized hilt.

The Windlass Russian Kindjal, more properly called a bejbut, I've had one since about 1998. It's a nice short double edged saber. Mine took and hold a fairly good edge and it's very tough. Light and quick, pointy, with decent slashing power.