Winter Boots Question: Cabelas Snow Runner vs. Sorrels

Hi all,
I needed some new winter boots this year and got a Cabela's gift card and some cash for Christmas, so I decided to see what Cabela's had to offer. I purchased a pair of Sorrels and they are awesome boots. But after the purchase, I'm second-guessing myself. I live in St. Louis and while the Sorrels will work great shovelling the 9 inches of snow here in Chicago (visiting relatives), we just don't get that much snow in St. Louis. I am afraid that the Sorrels might be too much boot. Aside from shovelling snow and sledding with my kids, I want something I can wear winter camping and hiking. My understanding is that Sorrel Pac boots are great in heavy snow and on ice, but not that great for walking around, especially when there is no snow. In St. Louis, we might get a couple 7-inch snows in a year, but that's about it. More cold than anything.

I saw a pair of Snow Runner Boots at Cabela's and they have some awesome ratings. They are 400-gram Thinsulate and sound like they handle cold, down to 0 degrees, quite well. They also seem like they would be a better winter hiker than the Sorrels.

Does anyone have experience with these Cabela's Snow Runners? Any suggestions for good winter boots that will keep my feet warm, but also be good for hiking around?

Thanks!

Back