1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Wolfgang Loerchner Dagger - Engr by Julie Warenski

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by betzner, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betzner

betzner Home ToMorro Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    A thread was done about this dagger a couple weeks ago, though it wasn't shown quite in it's entirety. It's now been imaged by Coop for all of us to see, and it's as expected - an outstanding image of an outstanding dagger - by a truly outstanding artist:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. Jos

Jos

Oct 23, 2006
    Oh my...

Speechless!

Kind regards,

Jos

3. Joss

Joss Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 20, 2001
    This is absolutely lovely.

4. Kevin Cross

Kevin Cross KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 13, 2006
    Simply Beautiful!

5. peterinct

peterinct

Dec 13, 1999
    WOW!! It is one fine sculpture in steel! Must be quite hard to put it down Bob!

Congrats again on a great addition to your collection.

Peter

6. r connally

r connally

Jan 26, 2008
    Stunning objet d'art! A fine acquisition beautifully captured for us to envy by Coop.

7. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    that is just about the exact opposite of ghetto.

8. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
    STUNNING!!!

Thank you for sharing this with us Bob!!! :)

9. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2007
    This is stunning.. Not to use the same word as everyone else.. but it really is!

10. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    Here's a second image from Coop showing more of the handle detail. The dagger is, of course, sole authorship by Wolfe (and what magnificent inlays!), with great engraving by Julie Warenski.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  11. Marcel54

Marcel54

Jul 30, 2005
    What's there more to say than WOW!!!!!!!

Marcel

12. mknife

mknife

Jul 3, 2006
    extremely elegant!

13. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter Platinum Member

Jul 15, 2003
    I can only assume that the engraving was done in collaboration with Wolfe before it was heat treated?

It is a great example of Wolfe's work and certainly something to bring great pleasure to the owner.

Congratulations, Bob.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

14. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    You are very fortunate to acquire such a piece :)

15. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Beautiful, elegant - congrats Bob!

16. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Stunning.....quite the center-piece to ANY collection.....congrats my friend. :)

17. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    Actually, Wolfe and Julie didn't collaborate on this. The discussion about this piece started about two years ago, shortly after which Wolfe sent me the raw dagger frame. I had earlier decided I wanted to have it engraved by Julie, so had already discussed it with her. Once it was received from Wolfe, I sent it on to Julie. The only suggestion I made was that the "Wolfe" maker's mark be engraved (with permission already having been given by Wolfgang) - and that I would prefer she not use typical scroll. Beyond that, it was up to her (she's the artist).

About six months later, the engraving was finished. She forwarded the dagger directly to Wolfe, who then heat treated it. A few email exchanges and phone calls ensued with Wolfgang that brought the details of the dagger's inlays more into focus, but I still had no idea what the overall design would be. That's something one leaves up to the artist.

The dagger was finished a few weeks ago, at which time Wolfe forwarded it to Julie, for the final clean-up and contrast of the engraving, then Julie sent the dagger to me. It was only then that I had any idea what the finished dagger and engraving looked like - and was OVERWHELMED. So yes, STeven, it is bringing great satisfaction to the owner!

Best,

Bob

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  18. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    That is epic! Congrats on acquiring it. :thumbup:

19. ptgdvc

ptgdvc Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2003
    My eyes are bleeding. Absolutely magnificent!

20. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    All of Wolfe's works please the eye. As does Julie's enhancements. There is a simple combination of shapes and materials, which doesn't appear to be complicated. And then as you study and study, the complexity arouses the interest further...

[​IMG]

The two pearl insets are almost mirrors, but then there is a slight color shift, too. The damascus patterns oppose another, and so do the engraving patterns; but then the gold inlays have unidirectional flutes and non symmetrical shapes.

The finger channels are polished and satin, too. The only straight line is when you look at the grind center, but then if you turn to look down at the edge, they taper and round to the tip.

It's a visual trap! :)

Thanks, Bob. This was important to capture well. I'm pleased you liked the composition.

Coop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.