Wood score!...maybe

KFU

Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator
I was browsing around my local Craigslist and found a for sale thread for some exotic woods. Turns out this guy is a very well known artist that lives locally. He is moving and needs to sell his stock of wood. Its been in his garage for at least 5 years so it should be dry and ready to go. He listed some species he has and Im super stoked to go take a look. Ill be going Wednesday and hopefully will come back with a much lighter wallet. Here is his website, pretty talented dude for sure. Check out his tablecloth tables.
http://www.jaywhyte.com/

Man, that dude is talented. What kind of wood is he wanting to sell.

He has a bunch. He listed feathered cherry, quilted mahogany and maple, axfelia, ambonia burl, tons of maple burl bookmatched boards in long lengths. Im going to have to take a set amount with me as Im afraid I will spend way too much! He said if I bought it all he would make me a killer deal but its so much that he said I would never be able to use it up(and afford it). He has about 5000 board feet! Sometimes big boards don't work out well for scales. There could be a really killer section but the rest wouldn't work well on a small piece. You run into that with quilted wood. If it has really big quilting it looks like a big blob when cut down to scales but looks awesome on a guitar or furniture.

Wow, that guy knows his wood!

BQE7D.jpg

He has a bunch. He listed feathered cherry, quilted mahogany and maple, axfelia, ambonia burl, tons of maple burl bookmatched boards in long lengths. Im going to have to take a set amount with me as Im afraid I will spend way too much! He said if I bought it all he would make me a killer deal but its so much that he said I would never be able to use it up(and afford it). He has about 5000 board feet! Sometimes big boards don't work out well for scales. There could be a really killer section but the rest wouldn't work well on a small piece. You run into that with quilted wood. If it has really big quilting it looks like a big blob when cut down to scales but looks awesome on a guitar or furniture.

Holy Sh*t!! :eek: :unconscious:

I know! I hope I will get to see his shop too. Maybe he will be selling a bandsaw or tablesaw! Woodworking has always been an interest of mine. Im not really good at it but I enjoy doing it. Im going to make some smaller trays with dividers for organizing customers orders. That way I can keep all the materials in one place and I won't mix them up. My wood supplier up north gave me a few jointing tips that will make it strong and add a little class!

General Rule Of Thumb For These Types Of Adventures:

(1.) Take $2500 of BA's money.
(2.) Take the original amount you plan to spend.
(3.) Take $1000 more than you PLAN to spend.

Good Luck!

Dude went out of town last week and emailed me today. Im going to try and go out there tomorrow or Tuesday.

Those tables are amazing.I can't imagine how much one would cost,but you know what they say...if you have to ask,you can't afford it.

Keep us posted Chris...interested to see what sort of goodies you pick up. Seems like there will be some potential there.

I was supposed to go out today but he hasn't called me back. I guess he doesn't want to sell it???????

Too bad it's not good for much, there's a surplus of dried pine in Texas! Give it some time, I'll have a sweet score of pitch wood, though.

Not yet. He did email me back though. He had a sick relative and had to go out of town.

Back