1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

"wounded" RMD - patinated blade

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by ikkyo, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ikkyo

ikkyo

Mar 19, 2007
    here's a few quick shots of my RMD LE - "roughed up" with different juices, and simple kitchen jobs...love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dman62

dman62

Sep 27, 2010
    Look's great!

3. adrock1978

adrock1978

May 30, 2009
    Looks good. A lazer sharp and shiny convex edge would go nicely with it.

4. knutelut

knutelut

Jul 4, 2011
    Looks great, working up the balls to do something like this to mine.. What did you use?

5. ikkyo

ikkyo

Mar 19, 2007
    adrock, I gave it to one of the most respectable-and most perfectionist maker in Hungary, to getting it reprofiled, and I wanted a convex edge, but he did "his" v grind, and I have to say, it IS laser sharp...:)

knutelut, I just wanted to go nuts, and "brake in" that nice satin "safe-queen" finish, an made some experiments...if I correctly remember I started with a strong pepper-sauce, left the blade coated for about half an hour, and then wiped off the remains- and some of the oxidation, after a few days I wrapped the blade into a canvas what I saturated with pure lemon juice...and I just forgot the blade for a day like that....man, all was really black, and the canvas pattern "burnt" into the metal...after I've just used it in the kitchen slicing onions, tomatoes and co...

6. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Good job on the patina!