XM-18 3" Flipper or non for duty carry?

Sorry I know there is another flipper thread going on but my question is somewhat different and I didn't want to hijack someone's thread. I'm looking to order an XM-18 3" tomorrow for my job as a paramedic. First let me preface by saying I will be getting the 3" because I find myself in Delaware quite often for work and play and Delaware has a strict 3" blade law. So as I can carry the knife on and off duty the 3" will be best for me for now. That being said I wear large gloves and have read that the 3" with flipper is harder to handle with gloves than non flipper. Has anyone else found this to be true. I would prefer the flipper for ease of opening when wearing gloves but if I'm going to run out of handle I will purchase the non flipper. Thanks for any help.

Being a Paramedic, I assume the gloves you mention are surgical gloves? I would have to think that starting the blade deployment with your index finger and then snapping your wrist (until the knife breaks in and then the blade will deploy with finger flick) would be an effective method.
I wear a Large glove and find that I can hold the 3" without a problem. During times of adrenaline flow I would want the flipper just to keep me back on the handle as well.
IMO

Sorry should have been more specific. I meant large HD leather gloves for situations such as vehicle or heavy machinery extrications.

Aaaaahhh, wow.....a 3" in gloves that size. Well I still would have to think the deployment with the flipper and wrist flick is going to be the method used -vs-getting your gloved thumb on the thumbstud would seem less effective.
With gloves that size the flipper would serve as tactile input as to where the knife is in your hand as well allowing you to keep ALL fingers back behind the flipper (on the handle) OR putting your index finger in front of the flipper on the choil allowing for a more sure grip on the knife.

Thanks for the input. Eventualy I would like to get the XM24 as a strictly duty blade but for now I'd like to be able to enjoy it on and off duty. I use a boker cop tool for smaller prying tasks when a hooligan bar wont work so I'm not to concerned about it's prying ability.

Thanks for the input. Eventualy I would like to get the XM24 as a strictly duty blade but for now I'd like to be able to enjoy it on and off duty. I use a boker cop tool for smaller prying tasks when a hooligan bar wont work so I'm not to concerned about it's prying ability.

I guess that would be the next decision Spanto -vs- Slicer (not sure what availability is/was) I know the last batch of 3" were slicers. I imagine for what you do a Spanto would be more robust even without prying.
Certainly email Rob and start the ball rolling, choices can be made based on the parameters you will receive once Rob informs you.

I know this goes against conventional wisdom but I feel the "flipper" actually pushes my hand further back on the handle. No big deal for a 3.5 or 4" but for the small handle of the 3", I love the non-flipper.

I wouldn't say there is any conventional wisdom, the Flipper/Non-Flipper debate is like any hobby forum discussion I have seen in my years.
Camaro - Manual -vs- Automatic
Jeep - Lift/No Lift, Best Tire, Manual-vs-Auto
Toyota T4R - Part-time 4wd -vs- All the Time AWD
CC guns - Semi-auto -vs- Revolver

List goes on. NO right or Wrong answers just what fits best for the individual

Do you know how the handle compares against a mini presidio or delica as both of those handles fit my hands well

Do you know how the handle compares against a mini presidio or delica as both of those handles fit my hands well

Perhaps a member who owns one or both of those knives will weigh in (I have neither).
I carry my 3" EDC now and will do so until the leaves change and I go back to Big Boy pants. Initially, I found the 3" to be a bit small for my tastes but have grown to appreciate the fact that it affords me ALL that a Hinderer offers and allows me to carry in shorts.
IMO, IF I were using my 3" and wearing heavy gloves - I would want: It to be ORANGE, have a Lanyard and have a Flipper But that's just my opinion.
Perhaps Rick would be best to render an opinion given his background.

I have already decided it must be orange so if i drop it on a fire or accident scene it will stick out. I think I'm gonna go with the flipper. As soon as my direct deposit goes through this afternoon I will place my order

Well it's been ordered orange handle flipper slicer. Noew the wait begins. I am very stoked!

Congratulations! You will not be disappointed and as for waiting...... anticipation is a time of great excitement, Enjoy it.
Look at accessories, prep your pockets, think about lanyards and sharpening methods, etc.
2012-07-27_12-48-36_448.jpg

Congrats! I know that stoked feeling. And it doesn't go away even after you get it....:D

Congratulations! You will not be disappointed and as for waiting...... anticipation is a time of great excitement, Enjoy it.
Look at accessories, prep your pockets, think about lanyards and sharpening methods, etc.
2012-07-27_12-48-36_448.jpg

Nice picture thanks. As for sharpening methods I'm covered. I have a wicked edge what angle does hindered normally put on the edge?

Thanks. That's a fairly wide angle. I normally keep a 17 to 20* edge on my knives but I will give the original edge a chance before I mess with it.

Nothing in stone. Hopefully a month or two.I going to have to find something to distract myself.

Back