1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Yard work

Discussion in 'Rick Hinderer Knives' started by Varga Knives, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Varga Knives

Varga Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2006
    I have been keeping up on reading but haven't been able to post anything in awhile. A new policy at work has been keeping me busy and the back yard has sucked up any and all of my free time at home.

Oh, and, congrats to the new mod. Gee, didn't see that one coming Rubi... Uh, Mr. Rubi, Scott...sir...:)

As far as my back yard goes, I'm not adverse to trying new things and so, when it came time to fix up my rear lawn with some new grass, I figured how hard could it be? You see, the power company did me a HUGE solid recently and cut down some of my trees near their lines and in return I allowed them to grind out the stumps and put up a new fence around the whole yard :D. When done though, the back of my property had a big drop off which allowed my dog to get under my new fence and escape. Dumb guy's as disobedient as my wife and chasing him down the steet all the time is only amusing to my neighbors and my kids. So, my goal was to raise the grading to meet the bottom of my fence and then plant some grass seed. Easy. I had 8 yards of dirt delivered (the mathmetician deep inside me said that 8 was a good number) and with a trusted shovel and a 7.5 cubic foot wheel barrow I got to it. I proceeded to lug it from the front of the house to the back.

About three loads in I was tired. By fifteen I thought I could do no more. I finished the day at 27 and still had tons more dirt left in the front. Every now and then I had to take a break from the wheel barrow to level the dirt out and remove some huge roots and this xm stump2.jpg .

The next day I did 8 more loads and fertilized, seeded and threw some straw down. I ended up only using 6 yards and my neighbor got the other two (he was happy).

Bottom line is that I could have paid someone to do it but I would never have gotton the satisfaction of saying I moved 7 1/2 tons of dirt by myself. Then again, three weeks from now when I realize none of the seed germinates I'll be saying, "Why the hell didn't I just pay a landscaper to do it?" We'll see.

2. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Nah, You didn't hire someone because when you are done you can stand back with a cold beer and admire the fruit of your labor.
    Yard work is a zen experience. Shuts off the brain (at least the voices) and allows you to work the body and become one with "Your Land"
    Good stuff! Love the XM pic:thumbup:

(Thanks Man :))

3. Need2Know

Need2Know Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2011
    That poor stump never stood a chance.

Working for yourself in any capacity is a rewarding experience. All you do benefits you, very cool.:thumbup:
    Now, hire a local youth to seed then mow and weed it thru the growing season.;)

4. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Just got done doing yard work (volunteer) at a local cemetery, I was tasked with the inside of the mausoleum. It is a gray cold rainy day.
    I spared you guys the Hinderer at work photos. Too creepy.

5. Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    S, aka rubi, your gifting in truly admirable. Gifts to family, gifts to community, gifts to country and gifts to all of us that know you. :thumbup:

6. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    I was saddened beyond words to walk way up on the hill behind the mausoleum to the site that never should be, the grave of a schoolmate of my sons.
    A fine young man of 17 years who died tragically the day before Christmas Eve 2008. A day that should be nothing but joy for every kid, last day of school before the long Christmas break.
    They were clowning around in one of my sons schoolmates (Football Team) Jeep Cherokee. Something possessed him to climb partway out of the window when the driver lost control of the jeep and hit a pole.
    Parents tried to stay in the area for awhile and moved away.
    I only mention this sad story because on a day when I met a young Man because of a Hinderer knife, I cleaned the grave stone of school mate of my Oldest Son who I am gifting a knife to Today, his 20th Birthday. Sadly, a day another parent will not have.
    Life is short. Lets enjoy as much of it as we can - our Families, our knives and yes - Yard Work! :)

7. Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    This is exactly the charcter trait I spoke to a couple post ago, glad I know you.

8. Varga Knives

Varga Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2006
    You do what you can when you you can and try to make the most of each day. And always make sure your kids know you love then because you never know... A friend of mine was murdered last week leaving behind two young girls. Um, anyway, uh, I've been keeping the dirt wet but the ground may be just too damn cold to grow anything. Time will tell.

9. Birdhunter1220

Birdhunter1220 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2011
    It is not that long ago I started hanging out here. My wife, lord knows why she puts up with me, thought I was just a little strange reading all the posts here. Now after reading her some of the post and talking about what is said here she has a total different mind set. So much more than just knife talk. I am happy to know all of you. Life is short and we need to live it to the fullest. Love our family, our friends and our country.
    Make it a great weekend everyone.

Bill

10. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Well said indeed Bill and Thank you N2K for your kind words. The Hobby brings us and ALL who visit and choose to stay - together.
    We discuss and share pics/stories of our Hinderer Knives and then the dialogue goes deeper and that is a good thing.
    Then we function as a community.
    Back in the day there were front porches on houses, side walks out front and a fence (short) out back. Mail was delivered to the post office and people ran into each other at the general store while evenings and weekends were punctuated by neighborly conversations in and over the venues mentioned above.

Today, we have the internet and our porches, fences and general store sit before us with a screen and a keyboard and the neighborhood stretches around the World.
    Everything and Nothing has changed much.
    We still do what has been being done for 100+ years we just do it in the cloud.
    I find it fun, informative and valuable. I bet if asked, my "great uncle" of the early 1900's would have found his neighborly interactions the same.:)

11. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    ----When Ornamental Grass ATTACKS!-------- (Striders fault)

So, our buddy Strider guilts me into gettin' my lazy arss out to get Yard Working. I'm out there making it look good (wiping the sweat from my brow) when I know the wife is looking out of the window at me.
    I'm minding my own business when I get to close to this "ornamental grass" (sounds innocent enough) until it wraps your ankles and trips you (deliberately) into the rocks and makes you look like a klutz. Falling is NOT a glamorous activity no matter what you do with your arms and hands on the way down (I always try to waive like I'm Royalty).
    I survived.
    The grass did not.
    I donned my trusty Hinderer and gave it a Hair Cut! When I was done I heard a snicker and guess who it was?
    That little mouse ( the one that got "what for" with my spanner tool) IF you haven't been keeping up with the "As Rubi's World Turns" some of this will be confusing
    see, you gotta stay tuned:)

The grass AFTER it got it's arse kicked

[​IMG]

Here is "skippy" the attack mouse, post spanner tool correction.

[​IMG]

12. Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    Darn Vermin.:mad:

13. Varga Knives

Aug 12, 2006
    Tell that grass that payback's a bitch and I don't care how cute he is I wouldn't let any mouse mock me like that. It sets bad precedence for all the other critters who you know, as soon as they see the backdoor open, pull up their chairs, grab the popcorn and sit back and enjoy the Scotty and Skippy Show on a daily basis.

So here it is so far... BY1.jpg

And after only a week I actually have something growing... grass.jpg

This is who mocks me. He pretends to be dumb but really he's an evil genius... Bailey.jpg
    I not sure what his long term plans are but I once caught a glimpse of something he was drawing up before he had a chance to erase them with pee and fur. It looked like a man, presumably me, holding what could have been a thick wire. The guy had smoke and little lightning bolts all around him and his hair was sticking straight up with his mouth agape. I was surprised by the amount of detail that could be had with a stick and some poo. The picture next to it was of himself sitting in the Oval Office. I wish there was more detail to elaborate the transition between the two but I'm sure he's got it all worked out. For now I shut off the main breaker in the house and sleep with one eye open.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  14. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Too Funny Man:thumbup:

15. Birdhunter1220

Birdhunter1220 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Strider, I think you dog may be friends with the mouse.....watch out......and way to funny......Thanks

16. Varga Knives

Aug 12, 2006
    Friends? Doubtful. Henchmouse? Possible. Minion? Now we're talking. VP???

17. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Casa De Yard Work :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Winter Project was an "Old School" River Rock Free Form Shower. NEVER Again! ALL the wood was from my last house, a 1700's Stone FarmHouse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Life on top of a mountain in the woods, firing range out back:)
    [​IMG]

18. Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    Nice digs.

Casa de Rubi with it's own range, now we're talkin'. I'd be ammo poor if I could just walk out back and rack off rounds to my lil heart's content.

19. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    ALL Hinderer Herd open invite if ever in the Great N/E Pocono Mountains to come by and Enjoy! Bring guns OR try a few "onsite" pieces.

Maybe we can talk Rick and Rob into a trip East for a weenie roast :)

20. Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    More than gracious, my friend.