1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

YO-HO 2.5lb Boys Axe Quick Review Lots of Images

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by cattledog, Apr 26, 2012.

1. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    So I came across this while looking for kerosene lanterns. Thought I would buy it at the low price and see if it is a keeper.
    Criticism and feedback welcome
    Thanks for looking
    Alright here are the standard shots yada yada yada.......
    about 27 inches

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Balance is very good, I noticed this right away.
    [​IMG]
    between 35 and 45 degree edge A good all around is 25 degrees
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just shy of 4inches my favorite small axe length
    [​IMG]
    Even metal on both sides
    [​IMG]
    1 inch in is 1/4 inch thick my hand moved during photo on this one but you can see the thickness
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Splitting a little to make sure everything is goodntight
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Quick file test and it is surprisingly very hard to remove steel.
    [​IMG]

THE GOOD:
    Fit and finish is not bad for a $25 shipped 2.5 lb boys axe
    Like the handle
    Compact shape
    Balance
    Made IN USA? Got an email in to the Co and will find out if they reply.

The Bad:
    The grind is a wedge type similar to a fiskars grind
    The edge is obtuse at 45 degrees by my measuring

Currently this will split but to be more usable it needs to be reprofiled a file will take a long time to redo the edge.

THE UGLY:
    The grind
    Not sure it is actually 2.5lbs

My Assessment:
    So I did not actually use this to chop with only a brief splitting session. It is accurate so far with the limited use. The head is compact. Feels pretty good in hands. Much time is needed with an angle grinder or file to bring it into a all around user. I like the handle.

Conclusion:
    This needs a lot of work to make it a user. It will be a leaner on my axe wall for awhile and when I get around to it I will bring it into shape and then probably give it to my landscape friend. I think this would make a good beater ax for someone chopping into roots branches etc.
    Nothing special here with this one, it sort of reminds me of the Ace hardware store collins axe a little.
    Not a keeper now but I will update when I bring the edge in a little.

I'm not an axe snob but I would rather spend a little more and and get a better quality ax.
    Currently looking at this one for my boys axe Rocky Mtn Bushcraft did a review on the hatchet and it looked pretty good so I might try this one.
    http://www.helkonorthamerica.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80&products_id=200

Just received an email from the Company about the ax:
    The boy’s axes are imported from India .
    The axe head is a Michigan pattern and manufactured from SAE 1045 steel. The cutting edges are induction hardened to 40-55 HRC.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I'm curious about what the company says about where it was made. BTW, I think your measurement for 1" from the edge is 1/2" not 1/4".

3. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks for looking.
    It is 1/4inch more or less, that is a bad shot my hand moved and the rule is at an angle. I'm thinking about taking it out of the post or redoing it.

4. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    oops. I didn't look close enough at that photo.

The company logo should be a pirate.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    I just got that YOHOHO and a bottle of rum?:emot-yarr:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  6. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Thanks, CD. Nice little review.

7. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
  8. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks
    I have a bunch more respect for the real reviewers now. A lot goes into it and you need to be careful in what you say about the product.

9. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
  10. Double Ott

Double Ott Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Thank you for the review. For $25 shipped, there's not much that one can argue with....Looks like an older style, wedge shaped head before the American axe makers started profiling their heads.

Looks like you have to remove lots of steel to profile that one. I wonder how the tempering will hold up.

Double Ott

11. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    Just got an email today from the factory:

The boy’s axes are imported from India .
    The axe head is a Michigan pattern and manufactured from SAE 1045 steel. The cutting edges are induction hardened to 40-55 HRC.

I filed it a little and brought the edge in. Not too bad looking.

Well it's a certified root chopper now off to the landscaper.

12. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    A hardness range of 15 points...what the?????

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  13. Double Ott

Jan 3, 2011
    I can't dispute their information on the steel or their treatment, however, the pattern that they are using with this axe is much closer to a Hoosier pattern than a "Michigan". The Michigan patterns have a flat or straight top to the head, from the poll to the bit. Yours is flared on the top and bottom, closer to the Hoosier pattern.

Just a small point. It will not effect its use and again, for $25 shipped, it's hard to argue with.

Double Ott

14. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    From the seller's description of this axe:

"This item is proudly made in the U.S.A."
    [​IMG]

Caveat emptor.

15. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    That's sad. :(

16. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    yes, very sad. and down right wrong if you ask me... seems to be a damn lie...:(

17. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    Nice review CD, too bad it's not USA made but for $25 it's not bad and there's definitely worse out there.

18. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks
    I would have stayed away from it if I knew it was an import from India. Not a bad little beater though.
    The handle is made in the USA though.

I have a Helko classic on the way to supplant this one.

19. Double Ott

Jan 3, 2011
    Wonder if they stole a page from Snow & Neely? Made over seas, but assembled in the U.S.A [​IMG]

Double Ott