Your bare minimum CRK collection - if you had to sell most

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by bvo85, May 18, 2017.

1. bvo85

bvo85 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I'm in the process of buying a house so am thinning the herd over the next few months. I'm looking long and hard at my overall knife collection and CRK makes up a big chunk of it. What would you say is your absolute bare minimum CRK collection if you had to consolidate down. Most threads like this specify a number like pick 3, but I won't put that restriction. You can have as many as you want, as long as it's your bare minimum.

Here's mine with my rationale:

1) Regular BG42 small sebenza. It was my first CRK and my first nice knife. I don't find it useful as an EDC for my current lifestyle, but I have enormous nostalgia with it.

2) Large 21 pre-Idaho stamp. Picked this one up recently and it's a beast! The pre-Idaho stamp is a strong preference for me in the overall aesthetic. I plan to send it in for double thumb stud.

3) Aviator. My love for CRK started with the one piece fixed blade knives (OPK) even though I didn't own one for years after my sebenza. I own several now but will likely pare down to just the aviator because to me, it's the iconic OPK and also most practical. While I love my Project 2, it seems like I'm better off with a regular full tang fixed blade knife and a pocket survival kit. Whereas the aviator is so small, I could see it being a one-item-does-all knife and survival kit for a day hike.

4) Tom Mayo Modified Original ATS34 Large Sebenza. Many here post that they don't like the Mayonized sebenzas, but I adore mine. It's probably the rarest knife I own, and given that Mr Mayo is in his 70s and stopped offering these modifications years ago, it's practically irreplaceable.

I have many other CRKs that I love, but these are my core 4 that I consider my bare minimum if I had to pare down for financial reasons. Tell us about your choices!

2. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I have an annual that matches my daughter's birthday, and a unique graphic that matches my wedding day and has a matching box signed by the man himself! I have many that like in my collection, but those are the absolute keepers.:thumbsup:

3. Large Wilson Combat Starbenza 25 and 7" Green Beret.

4. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    All lefty's
    Micarta 25
    Unmunzaan
    Plain Jane 21 classic
    Small Regular
    Those four would be more than sufficient to handle my every day needs for a long time. All the other CRK's I've got are mostly eye candy that I really enjoy and make up my collection.

5. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    My original old pivot Umnumzaan and my Umkhombe would the the last I think..

6. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    1.Small Sebenza 21 Diamond plate
    2.Tilock Blue steam
    3.Large Regular
    4.Old pivot Umnumzaan

7. TinyDog

TinyDog Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2015
    The only one I have at the moment, Small Classic with Coco-bola inlays. Perfect in the pocket user with some age.

8. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    My L21 carbon fiber insingo, and large inkosi micarta. If I had to pick one, it would be the insingo inkosi that is coming out. I like the insingo blade and inkosi frame that much.

9. EvilBoffin

EvilBoffin

Feb 3, 2017
    My minimum list has been refined into the entirety of my CRK collection :
    I am a lefty, so that influences what I can get ....
    • Small 21, Wilson Combat Starbenza edition
      • milling that aids grip and looks more upscale than 'plain jane', all-silver accents, dual studs, lanyard with silver bead
    • Large 21, KnifeArt Carbon Fiber edition
      • all the large 21 advantages and ergonomics, but LIGHT weight for easy carry of such a large blade (3.67 oz ....)
    • Ti-Lock, 2017 Annual 'In Motion' edition
      • the 'Medium Sebenza' that never was = awesome 3.25" blade vs. carry size/weight, gorgeous & fancy, now discontinued (good/bad/??)
    • 6.5" Sikayo
      • just got this, but quickly becoming my favorite CRK for 'real' use, imminently-versatile and capable, all I will ever need in a mid-size kitchen knife

And for good measure:
    • Large 21, BladeHQ Carbon Fiber Inlay edition
      • stunning looks with the satin-finished, hollow-ground blade, the perfect inlays and polished handles - BEST ergonomics yet !!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  10. bvo85

bvo85 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I love my 6.5" Sikayo! I almost forgot that when making my list! I forget it's a CRK but I use it daily!

11. TYPE-R

TYPE-R Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Currently own a small pj21 damascus and large Inkosi. I plan on getting a small 21 Insingo next and that will be it for me, until they drop an Insingo damascus.

12. EvilBoffin

EvilBoffin

Feb 3, 2017
    Yes sir, that is a real winner, there.
    When I found one in stock at a dealer in LEFTY, I jumped on it...

And that was not just to Fanboy another CRK purchase - honestly glad I got it - - Sikayo is a jewel of usability & ergonomics, though the blade stock thickness may be a bit much for some kitchen tasks...
    ( I ain't no chef, but I do get hungry :cool:!!)

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  13. Bandaids or stitches

Bandaids or stitches Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2015
    I only have four, but if I HAD to trim to an absolute minimum, I'd want to keep one 21 and one Mnandi.

The 21 as a general EDC, and the Mnandi because to me, it's the perfect gentleman's knife.

-Sean-

14. meepleup

meepleup Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Small 21 with micarta and insingo

15. Anarchy84

Anarchy84 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    I actually have sold almost all of my CRKs due to personal circumstances. I only have one in my possession right now and I have one more on order. For the foreseeable future, my only two CRKs will be:

Large plain Jane 21 w/ double silver lugs.
    Small 21 Micarta Insingo w/ double silver lugs

I've owned every folder CRK currently produces, and I've found these two configurations fit every need I could ever have in a pocket knife.

16. peterbright

peterbright Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 29, 2016
    My answer is purely practical. If I "needed" to liquidate, I would keep the ones that didn't sell.

17. firedude

firedude Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Umnumzaan would be last to go.

18. TrainedBullets

TrainedBullets

Apr 23, 2017
    If I had to, I could bring myself to two:

1. Small Classic - Have had it since 2004. It has been on every scout trip I went on with my kids and every camping, hiking, an backpacking trip since. This would be my last to go.
    2. Small PJ Insingo - Perfect edc knife. I'd actually take a second job before letting it go.

I'd hate to lose the Mnandi, but could live without it. I'd also really like a Large 21 Micarta Drop Point.

19. `br4dz-

`br4dz- Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2016
    1) Small Sebenza 21 w/ Mammoth Ivory, it's unique because it's almost impossible to get anymore plus it's gorgous
    2) Small Sebenza 21 w/ Micarta inlays, best in hand IMO, would be a great user knife if I want something high end to carry on the regular
    3) Small Sebenza 21 w/ deep red Cocobolo inlays, stunning color/pattern on a popular wood for knives, my favorite sebenza as far as appearances go.

20. FordFan

FordFan Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    My first was a Large Insingo. It would the last knife to go.