Your New Years Axe, Tomahawk, Hatchet Resolutions for 2013

1) haft ALL my 'ladies in waiting'

2) make several sheaths for my 'user axes'
3) find and buy a couple axes that I want and don't have
4) sharpen my crosscut saws... I'm like OO, I've got everything I need to do it with, but I just haven't done it yet
5) fell more trees with axes and crosscuts rather than with my chainsaw

And finally, last, but not least...

6) be nicer to Memphis :D

Wait impatiently for my 5 double bit american made axes and a big PLUMB axe.
As soon as they arrive i'll restore the heads and hang them properly.
The next step is to restore my whole axe/hatchet collection and hang every each of them.

American double bits are uncommon over there, aren't they?

Wait impatiently for my 5 double bit american made axes and a big PLUMB axe.
As soon as they arrive i'll restore the heads and hang them properly.
The next step is to restore my whole axe/hatchet collection and hang every each of them.

I have an internet friend on another forum who has been a mentor to many of us. He lives in the UK (England). A double bit falling axe is a rare item over there. They are an American axe design, we take them for granted here. I sent him a Kelly Perfect double bit along with a a helve for it.(he was going to have one made for it). It took 3 weeks+ to get to him. Even though I declared what it was, it was stopped and delayed by customs. He just got it yesterday and he is thrilled with it. He has already had it in his shop to profile the bits to his liking. He's like a little kid at Christmas, just what I was hoping for....

He has already commented on how nice the steal is in it.

I hope that you will enjoy yours as well, Tom

Last edited:
I'll hold you to that, Bear. IMO, "nicer" means you'll have to give me that NOS woodslasher. :D

Yeah right :p

If it were up to me Memphis I would, but I've already promised for it to be a 'decoration' for our cabin.
The wife actually thinks its pretty dang cool and has been hounding me about getting it hung up.
So see Memphis, it's really her fault...
I can't help it if she's not as nice as me :D

Well I am new here so I guess,
1) Increase hawk and axe knowledge
2) Get more hawks and train with them.
3) Get out more.

Since y'all convinced me to sharpen my axes and hatchets (all of them). My resolution was to put edge covers on them. And get my splittin maul hung. And get a new chopping block.

I'm buying two cold steels, the Spike hawk and a Riflemans hawk and mod them real nice.
Then I'll beat on them real good so I will have to mod them again :)

Hang my Kelly double bit. Hang an old hachet I have been carting around for about 15 years. Find a nice Jersey pattern head to recondition and hang. Sharpen up my Estwing camp axe. This sub forum is really giving my addiction to Spydercos a run for its money.

It's interesting to see some similar things as I would like to do. Particularly the volunteer work. I have a soft spot for dogs, the elderly, and wounded veterans trying to re-integrate into normal life. Volunteering at the local VA and animal rescue center may be just the ticket.

As for the axes, I really enjoy taking an old, abused tool and restoring it to the full glory it deserves. I'm not just talking a basics hang and sharpen either. My current project is one of those surplus Swedish axes from sportsman's guide. It got a full regrind the fixe the geometry, a nice sanding to remove anything that I don't consider character, and it's currently being slow rust blued, bevel and poll ground to a mirror finish, and hung on a hand carved curly hickory handle. It's going to get a hand carved and tooled leather sheath as well.

After that, I have an old broad axe that will be getting the same treatment.

These are tools meant for hard work, but that doesn't mean they can't look good doing it.

Also, I NEED an Aussie axe. Funds will decide whether that means rehabbing an old Tasmanian or a Brute Forge racing axe!

1 Make a cherry wood haft
2 get more axes/hatchets needing a good home
3 learn as much as I can (doing pretty good on this one, I'm here)
4 try to build a forge and hammer out a 'hawk and make a haft for said 'hawk...... Gotta dream big

1. Make more blade guards and quit using cardboard
2. Display all my axes so I can see all of them and avoid buying what I already have
3. Teach more folks about axes
4. Visit both the Northeast and the Northwest on axe history trips
5. Do trail work in both regions

Back