Review Zero Tolerance ZT 0850

Great review John!! Really enjoyed it!
Never even took a look at this one, blade shape threw me off a bit, but that CF is outstanding looking!!
Joe

Great review John!! Really enjoyed it!
Never even took a look at this one, blade shape threw me off a bit, but that CF is outstanding looking!!
Joe

Thanks! Believe me - you'll quickly get used to the blade shape. Particularly when you use it and see how comfortably your thumb rests on that ramp.

Nice review, mine will be here soon and I'm excited to get it.
How's the detent on yours?

I just finally had a chance to open the box for my 850, they did a great job with this one.

It melts into my hand and is ridiculously light for its size. They did a very nice job on the grinds, it's ALMOST perfectly even. It's VERY sharp. The detent is just right. The action is perfect. There are no voids in the carbon fiber ( which loooks sweet ). The clip tension is just right, especially nice for a milled clip. I like the style and lines a lot with the only exception being some ambivalence towards the backspacer.

I'm very happy with the knife, but, however minor, I do have one gripe. I've been carrying a knife for over 30 years and have tried every style of lock commonly used by makers and some rather uncommon ones as well, but, I'm having a hard time warming up to the "feel" of the sub frame lock.
It locks up tight and works properly, which is all that should matter but I'm picky and the nitpick is that there just doesn't seem like enough tension on the lock. When I disengage it there really isn't much resistance to the spring at all, have any of you found that this is just Inherent to the design?
Like I said, nitpick.
As I've had the chance to mess with the 850 a bit now (spent a few hours back and forth writing this) I'm happy with the knife and purchase, I think I'll be keeping it. The steel is something I haven't had on a carry knife and I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up, ZT put an honestly hair shaving edge on it and my bald arm didn't even turn red from the shave- truly scary sharp.
I'm sure that I'll get used to the lock thing with some time though I'd love to hear if any of you have felt the same way about it- especially if it turned out to work fine for you.

I just finally had a chance to open the box for my 850, they did a great job with this one.

It melts into my hand and is ridiculously light for its size. They did a very nice job on the grinds, it's ALMOST perfectly even. It's VERY sharp. The detent is just right. The action is perfect. There are no voids in the carbon fiber ( which loooks sweet ). The clip tension is just right, especially nice for a milled clip. I like the style and lines a lot with the only exception being some ambivalence towards the backspacer.

I'm very happy with the knife, but, however minor, I do have one gripe. I've been carrying a knife for over 30 years and have tried every style of lock commonly used by makers and some rather uncommon ones as well, but, I'm having a hard time warming up to the "feel" of the sub frame lock.
It locks up tight and works properly, which is all that should matter but I'm picky and the nitpick is that there just doesn't seem like enough tension on the lock. When I disengage it there really isn't much resistance to the spring at all, have any of you found that this is just Inherent to the design?
Like I said, nitpick.
As I've had the chance to mess with the 850 a bit now (spent a few hours back and forth writing this) I'm happy with the knife and purchase, I think I'll be keeping it. The steel is something I haven't had on a carry knife and I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up, ZT put an honestly hair shaving edge on it and my bald arm didn't even turn red from the shave- truly scary sharp.
I'm sure that I'll get used to the lock thing with some time though I'd love to hear if any of you have felt the same way about it- especially if it turned out to work fine for you.

Are you warming up to that sub frame lock?

Are you warming up to that sub frame lock?

Yes, and no.

As much as I liked the knife, and I loved the design (especially the blade shape), I ended up selling it due to some very slight issues that bothered me after having the knife for a few days.
Just in case anyone cares, the main issue that caused me to part with it was the finish grind on the blade. At a $320 price point it's in league with the price I started buying small Sebenza's at but it lacked the refinement. It seems like people are either pro or anti CRK so let's not mistake this with a direct CRK comparison because that's not what I mean, but, at that cost I do expect the manufacturer to grind the blade to a smooth finish and to not leave vertical grind lines on the sides of the blade deep enough to be used as a fine file.
Minor gripe? To some yes, to others, no. I unfortunately fall in the group that wants more for $320.
If I find that they start grinding the blades smoother I'll be getting another one.

Take from that what you will, it is after all just my opinion- you may find it to be perfect and far underpriced, our differences are what keep all of these awesome companies and talented custom makers in business.

And though it took me forever to do it, here's the answer to your question.

The lock seemed just fine for the two weeks or so that I messed around with the knife, I would've become quite used to it if I had kept it.

Have a great day.

Yes, and no.

As much as I liked the knife, and I loved the design (especially the blade shape), I ended up selling it due to some very slight issues that bothered me after having the knife for a few days.
Just in case anyone cares, the main issue that caused me to part with it was the finish grind on the blade. At a $320 price point it's in league with the price I started buying small Sebenza's at but it lacked the refinement. It seems like people are either pro or anti CRK so let's not mistake this with a direct CRK comparison because that's not what I mean, but, at that cost I do expect the manufacturer to grind the blade to a smooth finish and to not leave vertical grind lines on the sides of the blade deep enough to be used as a fine file.
Minor gripe? To some yes, to others, no. I unfortunately fall in the group that wants more for $320.
If I find that they start grinding the blades smoother I'll be getting another one.

Take from that what you will, it is after all just my opinion- you may find it to be perfect and far underpriced, our differences are what keep all of these awesome companies and talented custom makers in business.

And though it took me forever to do it, here's the answer to your question.

The lock seemed just fine for the two weeks or so that I messed around with the knife, I would've become quite used to it if I had kept it.

Have a great day.
you could have sent that to a whole host of modifiers who could do any kind of blade finish you wanted, stonewash, black acid stone wash, DLC or cerikoat (sp), hand rubbed satin, or even mirror polish (and more). value would not change imho, might even go up depending on who you had do it. i would assume it would cost anywhere from $30 to $60 give or take. but i get your point. i have many gripes with this 320 knaf, just not for me so i passed on purchasing it.

you could have sent that to a whole host of modifiers who could do any kind of blade finish you wanted, stonewash, black acid stone wash, DLC or cerikoat (sp), hand rubbed satin, or even mirror polish (and more). value would not change imho, might even go up depending on who you had do it. i would assume it would cost anywhere from $30 to $60 give or take. but i get your point. i have many gripes with this 320 knaf, just not for me so i passed on purchasing it.

Very true but the idea of losing some of the meat from the blade stock to get that done just doesn't sit well with me.

I'm reviving this thread. I hope no one minds.Well, I've probably said it elsewhere, but I have the uncanny ability of buying knives, at release price. Then they get discontinued and discounted in a relatively short period of time. What a "superpower";)

So, now I'm trying to use my uncanny ability to pick "losers" and at least wait for the sale price :rolleyes:.

I wonder how many people still own and like this particular knife? I have this knife on the way and I really want to like this one.

I'm reviving this thread. I hope no one minds.Well, I've probably said it elsewhere, but I have the uncanny ability of buying knives, at release price. Then they get discontinued and discounted in a relatively short period of time. What a "superpower";)

So, now I'm trying to use my uncanny ability to pick "losers" and at least wait for the sale price :rolleyes:.

I wonder how many people still own and like this particular knife? I have this knife on the way and I really want to like this one.
I only like the action. Not much else. I got it lower than map so no biggie. Glad I didn't pay more.

I like it a lot, but I would like it more if it were a wee bit smaller! It is larger that I thought when I ordered it.

It is a well finished knife and mine functions perfectly. A lot of thought went into the blade shape. I did not know the significance of the various parts until recently when I watched a video review.

The 0850 is one of my favorite ZTs.

The blade design is a bit odd but I like the long blade length and light weight of the knife and especially like the light detent which allows you to wrist flick it open.

An excellent knife IMO.

Last edited:
Back