1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 Knife For 1 Year!

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Glock Guy, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Glock Guy

Glock Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2012
    1 KNIFE FOR 1 YEAR!

I’ve always been of fan of “Progress” threads both in this forum, as well as a business forum that I’m a member of. I love watching a story unwind over time, and being able to look back at the pictures along the way makes it even more enjoyable.

Over the last few years it seems like I’ve bought and sold a ton of knives, but never really connected with any of them. Unlike the first Chris Reeve knife I owned (a small Sebenza Insingo that I carried for well over a year), all the recent knives just seemed to come and go, and they came and went in droves.

But not anymore...

Today I'm starting my 1 Knife For 1 Year Challenge!

Starting today I’m going to carry, use and bond with just ONE knife for an entire year. This knife will be the ONLY knife I carry and use on a daily basis.

That being said, I will allow exceptions for specific cutting chores like food prep, where I would grab a kitchen knife, or cleaning a fish/dressing a deer, where one would grab the appropriate fixed blade. Also due to the fact that our household gets a TON of boxes, and those boxes need to be broken down, that job will continue to go to my Spyderco Endura in ZDP-189 which has been, and will continue to be, the designated box breaker-downer, and is kept in the garage for that very purpose.

The real purpose of this challenge is not to see if one knife will do it all. It's for me to avoid having any type of rotation, like I did in the past.

And what knife am I going to spend the next 365 days with?

<<Insert Drumroll>>

The knife I chose is the large 21 drop point (DOB: May 10, 2018) that I just picked up off the BST Facebook page! This knife was literally brand new, and was probably only opened for the picture to sell it as the blue anodizing on the thumb-stud was still pristine. And while I felt I got a pretty good deal on it, I was even more surprised when it arrived and saw that it was actually a double-lug model, which the previous owner never mentioned.

So I invite you all to follow me on this challenging journey into knife monogamy. I'll be sure to snap a few pictures each month to show how the knife wears throughout the year, and I’ll try to get some that capture the different seasons as well.

Here's a quick pic of the knife I got yesterday before it was cleaned, sharpened and re-lubed.

[​IMG]

*** 1 Knife For One Year Rules: ***

- You must actually carry the knife! You may OWN as many as you like, and fondle all the ones you care to, but you can only CARRY one knife to join in on this thread.

- You get ONE mulligan/false start/do-over/etc. I know we're all human, so if you start out with one knife and decide it's not for you, you are allowed to change it ONE TIME ONLY! Any more than that, and you are out, and can NOT post in this thread again! Also, if you do switch blades, your goal starts over as well!

- Specific purpose knives do NOT count. As I said earlier, I have a knife that is the designated box cutter in our home. Maybe you have one for skinning animals or cleaning fish (and of course, all kitchen duty knives). Those do NOT count. Again this is just for carrying a knife for a year to see if you can.

-I will also add that you are allowed to carry a secondary knife. I know several people that carry, say, a large CRK along with a smaller, multi-purpose or more people friendly knife (SAK/Old-timey/etc.) That IS allowed, but you MUST carry the same CRK for ONE YEAR!

*Also note: By "post" I mean just the serious progress pics of the knife you are doing this challenge with. Feel free to chime in with whether you think you could do this or not, or to root us on, etc. You can even post pics of knives that you have carried for a year in the past to show us that you already accomplished this goal.

Final words: I made this thread as a challenge to myself as I know that this goal is more than possible for me. If it's not possible for you, that's fine. Life is short, so by all means carry as many knives as you want, as often as you want!

However, if your are just looking for a "Here's what I'm carrying today" thread, than this is the one for you: Post your CRK carry knife for today.

...And with that, let the games begin!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    fq55, tomsch, rexromic and 13 others like this.
  2. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    This should be an interesting thread. A year is a long time, though. I don’t know if I could go that long. I recently bought a large PJ 21 insingo and it’s kicked my other knives out of my pocket since. You picked a great knife to do this with.

WreckedVeteran and Glock Guy like this.
  3. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Best of luck!
    The closest I ever came was limiting myself to just two folders for a month.
    I must say you picked a good knife for your challenge! :thumbsup:

WreckedVeteran and Glock Guy like this.
  4. NCHunter78

NCHunter78

Feb 14, 2016
    Great idea. I look forward to the pics.

So, what if you get the itch to carry something else? Does that mean you will have to carry both in order to keep your plan going? Curious to know your thoughts because I have been thinking about doing the same.

Glock Guy likes this.
  5. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Sounds like a good plan. Personally, I can't do it unless it was the only knife I had, that ain't happening.

6. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    I will join you. Starting tomorrow I will post a picture of the Large 21 that is arriving in the evening.

It will be my primary folder. So it shouldn't be too hard. My wife said that I won't make it past Christmas without carrying something else or buying something new and selling it.

I'd like to do it just to prove her wrong lol.

7. Onikudaki

Onikudaki Gold Member Gold Member

May 11, 2011
    Awesome idea; big fan of these types of threads.. I am not sure if I could do it but would like to give it a try one day.

Will be keeping an eye out for updates.

Good luck! ;)

Glock Guy likes this.
  8. Glock Guy

Jul 28, 2012
    Nope, that's the challenging part - the large 21 has to be the ONLY knife I actually carry.

Now grant it that doesn't mean I won't pick up a knife or two along the way as there are some I'd love to check out. It's just that those knives will have to be kept at home, and won't end up in my pocket. At least not for 1 year. Call it an exercise in stoicism, or minimalism, but I want to see if I have the discipline and self control to just limit myself to one knife, because that's really all I need.

Doing this is kind of like Mark Zuckerberg wearing the same outfit every day. For me this is a step back to the simpler days when I only had one knife, and I just put that one knife in my pocket every day.

colubrid likes this.
  9. Glock Guy

Jul 28, 2012
    I agree, and for me it wasn't even a hard choice. I have always thought the Large 21 Drop Point was the classiest looking knife around, and one that is completely functional as well. This was the perfect knife to just sharpen and clean from time to time, and then just enjoy using.

LOL, I hear you. My wife would roll her eyes at me every time I bought a new knife. Then she would say, "Are you selling that already?!" as she saw my boxing up something. Like you, I'm looking to prove her wrong this time, too!!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    BellaBlades likes this.
  10. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    The Large Sebenza is a very well rounded knife and should serve you well. I like the one knife theory, and have done it in the past, but those days are over for me. I have too much sentimental attachment to some of my knives at this point.
    Best of luck

Glock Guy likes this.
  11. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Look forward to this! Should be easy, the Sebenza is king. It’s all I’ve carried for about a month straight, but I own to many Knives...impossible!!!

rexromic likes this.
  12. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Good luck, have fun, and looking forward to seeing how your challenge unfolds!

I can’t even go one whole day!

13. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I couldn't do it as the "only" knife I carried for a year ... there are far to many uses I need a fixed blade or a bigger or smaller knife for various uses ...

but I have carried one knife for over a year every day ... in fact there have been a few knives that have been part of my daily carry for a year or more at times in my life ... but not "the only one" ...

just a few examples for me ... for fishing needed a fillet knife ... hunting I needed a fixed and for butchering needed various knives ... for cutting drywall or shingles ... for food prep ... I don't know if I own any "one" knife that would handle every task without lots of swearing involved ...

so I know I couldn't make the challenge as you have it posted ... it will be interesting to see how you progress with it.

Lone_Wolfe likes this.
  14. Tseg

Tseg

Aug 25, 2018
    Sounds interesting and look forward to hearing the result... but large Sabenzas have been around for decades with lots of reviews and I think you will have a positive experience. I would have greater interest in someone embarking on this experiment with a newer knife, like small Inkosi insingo.

15. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    And this my friend..... is your outcome. Pretty ain't she
    15373515940961923819401.jpg

shanerbass, fq55, rexromic and 6 others like this.
  16. Glock Guy

Jul 28, 2012
    Agreed, and I have updated my OP to reflect the fact that there are certain situations where a specific non-carried fixed blade knife (kitchen, fillet, etc.) works best, as I just thought that was a given. I listed the Endura exception as that was another folder (and one that is not carried) due to the fact that the thinner full flat ground blade makes quick work of breaking down cardboard, and the ZDP-189 steel holds an edge MUCH longer than S35VN.

Again though, it wasn't my intention to use the Seb for everything. I just wanted to get out of the habit of feeling like I needed a knife "rotation", so I came up with this challenge of carrying and using just ONE knife for all the daily tasks that didn't require a specific kind of knife.

Yes. Yes she is. I'm looking forward to getting some nice character on my knife like the ones I posted in this thread: Pics of Well Worn/Weathered CRK's ONLY!

JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  17. red mag

red mag

Apr 12, 1999
    Why would he end with "Mike Large" engraved on the scale?
    :D
    It will probably be more like " Glock Guy".

Sorry had to do it.

NCHunter78, Mike Large and Glock Guy like this.
  18. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2012
    Great plan...you are gonna love the sebbie for a year.
    Ive always thought about doing the 1 knife for 1 year, but if i lived for 100yrs i still couldnt carry them all!! ;) i may have to do a 1 knife for 3 months. Lol.
    Looking forward to updates as your year of CRK wonder progresses. Good luck!

19. Glock Guy

Jul 28, 2012
    Here's a quick picture of my new EDC knife with my other current (and favorite) EDC.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  20. bart1

bart1

May 24, 2009
    Love my 43 for bicycling due to weight, but favor a 19 or 30 depending for EDC. I carried a large LEFTY REGULAR , WEAK SIDE FOR 2-3 YEARS before I realized you could own more than 1!!! Then it all went to hell! All those lonely CRKs sitting in a drawer for a year.... we'll follow your exploits!

Sharp & Fiery and Glock Guy like this.