1 CRK Knife For 1 Year!

I did decide to add one more clause to the rules in the event of tragedy:

- In the event your knife is lost or stolen, you will automatically be awarded a do-over WITHOUT incurring another strike, however the time will start over. In other words, let's say you were on your 2nd try and your knife was lost or stolen. You would get to pick out another CRK to carry for the challenge and STILL be on your 2nd try, but you would start over at day 1 again.

I feel that's fair as there is a difference between not carrying one because you want to carry something else, vs. not being able to finish out the challenge since your knife was lost or stolen... which would be a tragedy!

I love this thread. I want to give it a try but I think I would be a massive failure LOL

Same here. I've read this thread several times, but knew better than to even think about this. In the past month though, I wonder if I could except for my need to carry a smaller knife to work. If there was a modified challenge to carry one one knife when not at work I might actually have a chance. :eek:

Of course, committing myself to carrying only my Inkosi would have me craving to put a Sebenza back in my pocket! :D :D :D

I love this thread. I want to give it a try but I think I would be a massive failure LOL
Same here. I've read this thread several times, but knew better than to even think about this......
Doing this challenge is a peculiar experience. I started into it for a specific reason and so far, it’s serving the purpose I started it for.

I got started into “real knives” around the middle of last year and by December, I’d accumulated ~2 dozen EDC’s (including 3 working class CRKs) and 3 safe queens--a 1/10 “damascus on damascus” Seb, a 1/20 dark blue CF inlay Seb and one of those 1/10 highly decorated damascus Impindas--the safe queens all from the 11/18 NYCKS. When I got home after the NYCKS, I realized I was out of control and I needed to get a handle on my compulsive knife-buying. I started carrying nothing but my large StarBenza in December just to prove to myself that I don’t need to keep on buying more costly knives that’ll see little if any pocket time. After a couple months with the StarBenza, I signed up for this challenge and I’m still with it...so far...

Sticking with the StarBenza has been an educational bummer. I’ve stopped buying new knives like some kind of out-of-control junkie and I’ve talked myself out of buying at least two >$1K knives that I had my eye on for a while. I enjoyed shopping for and buying new knives and I honestly miss it. Beyond that, EDCing one knife is monotonous, boring and kind of a deadening experience. It's taken the fun out of picking an EDC for the day and out of having a nice little collection of quality folders to pick from. Oh, well...nobody ever said getting a handle on yourself and reining in out-of-control habits was any fun.

Long story short... This challenge definitely isn’t for everybody. In fact, it’s for very few of the BF crowd. It’s helping me with what had become a developing personal problem (no jokes about “knife addictions”, 12-step meetings or any other such silly banter) and while it isn’t any fun, that’s a good thing. Even with this being the case, it’s still a day to day thing for me and I honestly don’t know if I’ll make it through the entire year or if I'll go nuts at this year’s NYCKS like I did last year. I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
Life's too short for most people to subscribe to knife monogamy. But to each their own! I am a firm believer in having a good reason for any and all actions. Try to stay happy whenever possible, though!

... Long story short... This challenge definitely isn’t for everybody. In fact, it’s for very few of the BF crowd. It’s helping me with what had become a developing personal problem (no jokes about “knife addictions”, 12-step meetings or any other such silly banter) and while it isn’t any fun, that’s a good thing. Even with this being the case, it’s still a day to day thing for me and I honestly don’t know if I’ll make it through the entire year or if I'll go nuts at this year’s NYCKS like I did last year. I guess time will tell.

I hear you, and agree with your thoughts.

Its been said that comparison is the enemy of joy. I know back when I only had one knife, I was happy with it and it felt great (or at least not bad) to just put that same knife in my pocket that served me well the day before. However it was once I started getting other knives that I felt bad not giving those knives time in the pocket as well. It was like I was neglecting a child or something.

Again, this challenge was just to see if I could get past the urge of just wanting to carry something else by proving that one knife would be sufficient for most of the tasks I would need over the course of a year. I wanted to make sure that I actually enjoyed what I had, instead of always looking for the next shiny thing that I thought would make me even happier.

While I didn't want this challenge to make anyone feel like they are missing out by NOT carrying something different when the feeling hits them, I at least hope it helps them truly appreciate the blessing of having a choice on what to carry.

If the biggest decision you have is "What knife am I going to carry today", then it's going to be a great day!

Last edited:
Day 55 for me.

I dont know guys lol I'm starting to have a tough time with this. At first it was easy. But Now, to be honest, I'm completely bored with the sebenza lol. It's a fantastic knife and it's all the knife that I need... but damnit I'm bored. It doesnt help that i pinched one of the washers early on in this challenge while putting it back together after cleaning it. Ever since, the action has been terrible. So the flickability is almost non existent. Which has me thinking about my benchmades and how much I like the axis lock when I'm bored, or driving, or whatever.

I need some words of encouragement guys to help me continue!! Otherwise I might be grabbing a different knife here real soon!!

Day 55 for me.

I dont know guys lol I'm starting to have a tough time with this. At first it was easy. But Now, to be honest, I'm completely bored with the sebenza lol. It's a fantastic knife and it's all the knife that I need... but damnit I'm bored. It doesnt help that i pinched one of the washers early on in this challenge while putting it back together after cleaning it. Ever since, the action has been terrible. So the flickability is almost non existent. Which has me thinking about my benchmades and how much I like the axis lock when I'm bored, or driving, or whatever.

I need some words of encouragement guys to help me continue!! Otherwise I might be grabbing a different knife here real soon!!

I think that's the biggest struggle for everyone: boredom!

It's not that a Sebenza isn't a capable knife, but if you have more than one, it seems like you neglect the other.

In your case there is also the issue of the pinched washer. That can be fixed though. Simply take the knife apart and find which on got pinched, then flatten it back out. Don't go crazy beating on it, but just tapping it lightly on a flat surface should bring it back to "flat-enough" to be smooth again.

Fifty-five days is still a great start, so keep at it!!!

I don't know if it counts, as I was in the hospital for a week (surgery) twice during the year, but I have been carrying a small inkosi as a daily routine. I find that it just disappears until I need it and then it is in my hand. I have wanted to work other knives in but hey just don't have the same feeling of just belonging in my pocket. I guess at my age, routine is everything. I'm not an entry as I really want to carry new acquisitions and try them out. I find it doesn't work as the inkosi sits conveniently at hand clipped to my pocket while the alternative knives are hiding under my keys taking twice the time and thought to get to them. It's just not the same.

Day 55 for me.

I personally feel that 55 days is a hell of an achievement and one that many of us would not be able to attain. You’ve made it a couple months already, and it’s good to hear your thoughts about it. Keep it up! I suppose you could keep one of your Benchmades in the vehicle to fiddle with while driving, but keep your CRK in your pocket for use?

(In the past 55 days, I’ve carried the same key ring, ink pen, chapstick, etc in my pocket with no problem. Ask me to carry the same knife? Probably not going to happen. :) For me, it usually comes down to my Small Sebenza or Small Inkosi. I could rotate those two knives for a year, but I wouldn’t be able to decide on just one.)

Thanks guys, I appreciate it but unfortunately I caved today lol. But I'm not upset about it. A little bummed out that I didnt finish the challenge, but on the other hand it was a fun challenge for the 56 days that I lasted. It was still a cool experience and also the longest I've ever carried one knife.

This challenge is tough as hell if you're used to grabbing a different knife every couple of days. But I guess that's why it's called a challenge! Also, I still have one more attempt (we're allowed 3 right?) So maybe I'll try it again in the future, we'll see. Good luck to the rest of you!!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it but unfortunately I caved today lol. But I'm not upset about it. A little bummed out that I didnt finish the challenge, but on the other hand it was a fun challenge for the 56 days that I lasted. It was still a cool experience and also the longest I've ever carried one knife.

This challenge is tough as hell if you're used to grabbing a different knife every couple of days. But I guess that's why it's called a challenge! Also, I still have one more attempt (we're allowed 3 right?) So maybe I'll try it again in the future, we'll see. Good luck to the rest of you!!

It was a gallant effort, and you lasted a lot longer than most!

Yes you do get 3 chances, so you have the 2 left when/if you should try again.

Also I'm please to announce that I should be re-joining the challenge this week as I have a new blade inbound and should be here Monday. I'll give it a few days just to make sure, but if all goes well I'll be taking my THIRD and FINAL attempt at my own challenge!

Good luck to all who are still in!

I don't know if it counts, as I was in the hospital for a week (surgery) twice during the year, but I have been carrying a small inkosi as a daily routine. I find that it just disappears until I need it and then it is in my hand. I have wanted to work other knives in but hey just don't have the same feeling of just belonging in my pocket. I guess at my age, routine is everything. I'm not an entry as I really want to carry new acquisitions and try them out. I find it doesn't work as the inkosi sits conveniently at hand clipped to my pocket while the alternative knives are hiding under my keys taking twice the time and thought to get to them. It's just not the same.

WHT WHT
That is exactly what I was going for when I thought up this challenge. I wanted to find a knife that felt so much like a part of me that it felt weird to NOT have it on me. Back when I only had one knife (small Insingo Seb) that's what it felt like, but as soon as life got better and I got more knives, that part got a bit more complicated. Not that picking a knife that you want to carry that day from a collection of nice knives is a bad thing, as it's a great problem to have. I just noticed that while they all seemed like nice blades (and they were), I was not really attached to any of them. It was like watching my wife try on different jewelry to compliment an outfit. These knives became more like accessories that I enjoyed having and wearing, but they didn't hold the special value of, say, a wedding ring that you wore everyday and couldn't imagine being without.

Like I said, for me this was a journey that I wanted to take in order to take a step back and really appreciate the simplicity of having just ONE knife, and being able to enjoy the quality, craftsmanship and uniqueness of it day after day.

Hopefully the one I have coming will be that knife!

Not doing this intentionally, but today marks 2 months with this one. It's easy to remember the date, because I posted this with it's about-to-be-attached Hawk clip the night before it became my full-time carry.

View attachment 1119055

Just going two months is impressive, but YOU going 2 months is a miracle! Great job!!! :p

Just a reminder that as long as you are carrying your challenge knife you can carry other knives as well, including other CRK's.

Unless people are new here (or have been living under a rock) they may not know that Ms. Wolfe has one of the most extensive collections in this group.

Is there any particular reason the Inkosi has been beating everything else out for pocket time lately?

Just going two months is impressive, but YOU going 2 months is a miracle! Great job!!! :p

Just a reminder that as long as you are carrying your challenge knife you can carry other knives as well, including other CRK's.

Unless people are new here (or have been living under a rock) they may not know that Ms. Wolfe has one of the most extensive collections in this group.

Is there any particular reason the Inkosi has been beating everything else out for pocket time lately?

I did have my UG Grapevine as my main EDC for just short of 4 years, but I changed to something else just often enough that I couldn't do something like this. Even now I carry something smaller for at work, but this Inkosi waits in my car for when I get off, then in the pocket it goes. Grapevine sits at home, probably plotting this one's demise. :D

As for why I like this one so much, I think it's several factors. I tried about a half dozen other Inkosis, never kept any of them. Didn't really plan on keeping this when I bought it, it just looked to cool not to buy and check it out. I knew the first time I opened the box that it would stay, it took another month for me to decide to carry it. I finally realized I much prefer the polished scales over the blasted, all my other carry knives are also polished. The CF inlays look even better on the Inkosi than the Sebenza, and this thing is insanely comfortable in my hand. The fact that it's a numbered one just adds to the cool factor to me, I must admit. Although I'd love this one even without the number! The gifted lanyard beads really make it special to me, but I'll move them to whatever knife I'm carrying at the time.

I did have my UG Grapevine as my main EDC for just short of 4 years, but I changed to something else just often enough that I couldn't do something like this. Even now I carry something smaller for at work, but this Inkosi waits in my car for when I get off, then in the pocket it goes. Grapevine sits at home, probably plotting this one's demise. :D

As for why I like this one so much, I think it's several factors. I tried about a half dozen other Inkosis, never kept any of them. Didn't really plan on keeping this when I bought it, it just looked to cool not to buy and check it out. I knew the first time I opened the box that it would stay, it took another month for me to decide to carry it. I finally realized I much prefer the polished scales over the blasted, all my other carry knives are also polished. The CF inlays look even better on the Inkosi than the Sebenza, and this thing is insanely comfortable in my hand. The fact that it's a numbered one just adds to the cool factor to me, I must admit. Although I'd love this one even without the number! The gifted lanyard beads really make it special to me, but I'll move them to whatever knife I'm carrying at the time.
I have to admit that it would be a bit weird seeing those beads on any other knife. Maybe it’s because we’ve seen your Inkosi pics with various lanyard configurations but always with these beads. They just seem to go with that CF on that Inkosi, even though you could move them to any of the others. No doubt Grapevine is getting jealous. :D

I have to admit that it would be a bit weird seeing those beads on any other knife. Maybe it’s because we’ve seen your Inkosi pics with various lanyard configurations but always with these beads. They just seem to go with that CF on that Inkosi, even though you could move them to any of the others. No doubt Grapevine is getting jealous. :D

Ironically I'd been experimenting with different lanyard on it, almost daily, and had just started messing with 2 bead combos. Right in line with when the pair of beads arrived. Here's one that I liked so well that I just left it tied and put it in the box the knife came in.

Inkosi_NumberedCF-NewLanyard1.jpg

And an idea I had, trying out different colors. I ended up ordering more B&W & shades of grey cord.

Inkosi_NumberedCF-NewLanyard7.jpg

Here's what I had on the day the beads arrived. i really thought this bead was going to stay on the Inkosi.

Inkosi_NumberedCF-NewLanyard8.jpg
Inkosi_NumberedCF-SpecialLanyard1.jpg

But I do get what you're saying, these beads belong on this knife. Somehow, they'd feel wrong on any other. I think next lanyard I tie, I'll try them on a different one just to see what I think.

upload_2019-5-9_9-53-2.jpeg
I started my 1YC on 4/8 so I wanted to post a 1 month update. I’ve carried and used my Inkosi daily and it has seen quite a bit of use. I have removed the factory lanyard and bead and dissembled and cleaned twice. It feels pretty well broke in at this point and I’ve been able to touch up the edge with a strop and sharpmaker fine rod. I’m itching to get it on the wicked edge but so far it strips back to shaving sharp. I’ve been happy with the CF so far no signs of wear. I EDCed a PJ Inkosi Insingo and can say I like the small weight savings of the CF. I’ll also add that I’m happy with the toughness of the S35 heat treat on this one the blade frequently comes in contact with brass, bronze, copper, and aluminum lugs and wire. Prior to this challenge I was carrying a large griptilian sheepsfoot in M4 and so far I really haven’t missed it. I’ll post another update in another month.

View attachment 1125313
I started my 1YC on 4/8 so I wanted to post a 1 month update. I’ve carried and used my Inkosi daily and it has seen quite a bit of use. I have removed the factory lanyard and bead and dissembled and cleaned twice. It feels pretty well broke in at this point and I’ve been able to touch up the edge with a strop and sharpmaker fine rod. I’m itching to get it on the wicked edge but so far it strips back to shaving sharp. I’ve been happy with the CF so far no signs of wear. I EDCed a PJ Inkosi Insingo and can say I like the small weight savings of the CF. I’ll also add that I’m happy with the toughness of the S35 heat treat on this one the blade frequently comes in contact with brass, bronze, copper, and aluminum lugs and wire. Prior to this challenge I was carrying a large griptilian sheepsfoot in M4 and so far I really haven’t missed it. I’ll post another update in another month.

Awesome T TexMac !

There is something about the look of a CF Inkosi. I've wanted to try one for a while, then forget about it, but every time I see a nice picture that feeling comes back!

I'm still waiting on my last attempt as I want to be almost positive before I pull the trigger for the last time in my own challenge.

Good luck to all those that are still in!

Back