1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 12 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, March 23; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

1084 Questions

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CWO7811, Mar 15, 2019 at 7:40 AM.

1. CWO7811

CWO7811

Friday
    Morning all,

I have a couple questions about 1084 - as a DIYer with limited knife making tools and supplies, I’m gathering that 1084 is one of the most forgiving carbon steels for folks hardening in charcoal or a fire pit, quenching in vegetable or canola oil, and tempering in the oven like this guy...

So, what have y’all found to be a good tempering temperature and duration for getting a good enough hardness out of your steel for mostly meat working purposes (skinning, boning, slicing deer and hogs, etc.)?

Most of the blades I’ll be making will be in the 3/16” width range to give me added stability when dealing with thick cuts.

I appreciate the tutelage and happy to be in the forum!

2. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    This might be better in the knife makers section about making knives. I think it is Shop talk. Maybe a moderator can help. Very good questions.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 8:05 AM