1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

1095cryo vs A2 tool steel

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by nottoosharp, Sep 24, 2012.

1. nottoosharp

nottoosharp

Apr 7, 2011
    Hello Guys,
    I've decided on a Blackjack fixed blade 1-7. I've seen them in A2 and what was listed as 1095cryo. What is better? I'm not familiar with either.

Thanks,

NTS

2. Ramil839

Ramil839

Feb 11, 2012
    I dont have any blades in A2 but several in 1095 cryo,its easy to sharpen,very tough and makes a good chopper.

3. gomipile

gomipile

Apr 17, 2010
    A2 has more carbon, and low to medium amounts of several beneficial alloying elements. It is a good knife steel, is easier to sharpen than high alloy steels, and is slightly better in most ways than 1095CV.

4. Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce

Nov 15, 2006
    For me, it's pretty much a toss up. I really like both of these steels. In my mind the average user isn't going to be able to tell the difference.
    And if you plan on hanging around here for a while you'll probably end up buying several knives that are pretty similar, so I say why not buy both, try them and sell whichever you don't like?

5. Big Mike

Big Mike

Aug 30, 2006
    I like the higher alloyed A2 Tool Steel.

It seems a step up when it come to corrosion resistance.

Both are very tough and make great knife blades.

Please Note: All of the BJ Model 1-7's made in recent years are A2.

Big Mike

6. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    A2 is a higher alloy steel.

Given the choice, I would probably choose A2.

7. nottoosharp

nottoosharp

Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks Guys for the input. The Blackjack listed in 1095 was listed as new and USA made. "Big Mike" stated all recent models are made in A2. I'm a little confused.
    Are the newer model's better or equal to the earlier models. I've read about Effingham models (hopefully I spelled that right). Were they made of 1095?

Thanks for the help,

NTS

8. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
    I'd go with A2 for the little extra wear resistance, and also because I have no idea why someone would cryo treat 1095.

9. Big Mike

Big Mike

Aug 30, 2006

The earlier models where indeed 1095, but the switch to A2 happened several years back.

Some web sites have not been updated to reflect the change.

The BlackJack Knives Model 1-7 have always been made in the USA,

...as have all of the BlackJack "Classic Blades" Series.

The new BlackJack Knives (made in Escanaba) are the equal to the Knives made in Effingham.

In fact I would argue that the change to A2 steel makes them better.

Plus there are more options available on the knife these days.

Big MIke

10. Danbo

Danbo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 28, 1999
    A2 all the way!

11. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    I don't either, sounds more like a marketing ploy to sell knives to me at very high profit as 1095 is very cheap and it's sad that people will fall right into it.

Now if they took 1095 to 64-65 HRC then it would be a different story.

A2 would be the better choice as it's a better steel than 1095 all the way around.

12. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    A2 is what I would go for but 1095 is cheaper and is not that bad.

13. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket

Apr 15, 2010
    Yeah, what's that about? :confused: Is it just typo of sorts or is someone really trying to use that as a marketing ploy?

14. nottoosharp

nottoosharp

Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks for the info Guys,
    And thank you for the clarification Big Mike. Good to know the quality is still there.

Thanks

NTS