Recommendation? 1908 M1905 Bayonet Questions

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by wesman5060, Oct 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wesman5060

wesman5060

Oct 20, 2018
    My grandfather gave me this 1908 SA M1905 bayonet yesterday. Its missing its grips and the scabbard is a 1907 RIA. The scabbard also has a rip in the stitching at the tip. First off, does anyone know where i can find original SA grips with the screw? Secondly, does anyone have any advice on how I might can repair the tear on the scabbard? Third, he wrapped the tear with electrical tape probably 30 years ago so all the sticky stuff from the tape is still on the tip from when I removed the tape so Im wondering if anyone has any advice on removing it from the leather? Ive attached pics below. Bayonets are definitely not my expertise so id greatly appreciate any help yall can give me. Thanks yall!!
    https://m.imgur.com/a/k2RtiLx

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. wesman5060

wesman5060

Oct 20, 2018
    Bump

3. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee

May 6, 2018
    You can spray windows cleaner let soak a little, then use mineral oil to rub off the gunk. Do a test on a small hidden part see if it change too much the color before soaking it all.

For your replacement grip check out Gun Parts Corp they have a great selection of replacement part for all kind of bayonets they also have scabbard parts etc.

For the blade I don't know what you want to do with it, but my advice is that, I strongly discourage any kind of sanding or buffing, I would only wash it with a cloth to remove surface rust and use a rust protection product and keep the patina "as is"

BTW beautiful piece of history you have there :)