2 stage hamon

I got this idea and decided to try it out, I applied my clay thick at the ricasso with no detail. Then when I got halfway up the blade I made the clay half as thick and added some detail to the clay.

Pictures:https://imgur.com/a/rOyoy

I used 15n20 and I sanded from 180-1,000 grit before etching. I repeated this twice. The hamon is not very bold and the top half of the hamon did not even show up on one side of the knife, but that is probably due to the fact that I used 15n20. Now that I know this did work I can try it again on a steel that will show a better hamon such as 1075, 1095, or W2.

If it's Aldo's 1/8" 15n20, it will get a hamon, just not a dramatic one. The other steels you listed will be better for this project.

I got this in 15n20 a few years back.

10830896654_9bb997db9c_z.jpg
[/url]100_2257 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr[/IMG]

It is Aldo's, after looking over it a bit more I'm starting to think that I didn't sand the tip of the blade as well as I did near the ricasso. I can still see 3 or 4 scratches from the 800grit sand paper at the tip of the blade. I should pay attention a little more next time and I'll probably get better results.

Back