2021 Summer Kitchen Kith New Deadline: August 29

I will do whatever, but being in new zealand the logistics are a bit tougher so prefer to do my own

I will do whatever, but being in new zealand the logistics are a bit tougher so prefer to do my own
For the 2019 KITH, you were not required to get a blank from JT but could also profile and heat treat yourself. The three designs were fixed, though. Looking back through the thread, I think two of the finished knives were heat treated by Warren and three were blanks from JT. The drop-out rate for that KITH was pretty high, JT posted that he had sent out around 60 blanks.

At the very least make the JT provided profiles optional. I’d like to make something of my own, not just a variation on a common theme.
JT will Cut whatever profile you want. I don't know if he wants to do a special rate for this one or not but you can just get a large blade and grind it into your own profile. If anyone isn't good at doing their own HT it would be the right thing to do to get it professionally HT'ed. We are all at different levels but its not fair to give others a blade that isn't usable. I will let Willie71 Willie71 add any restrictions but a useful blade should be a minimum. It's not a way to just get a nice blade but a way to get someone to take a good look at your own work.

JT will Cut whatever profile you want. I don't know if he wants to do a special rate for this one or not but you can just get a large blade and grind it into your own profile. If anyone isn't good at doing their own HT it would be the right thing to do to get it professionally HT'ed. We are all at different levels but its not fair to give others a blade that isn't usable. I will let Willie71 Willie71 add any restrictions but a useful blade should be a minimum. It's not a way to just get a nice blade but a way to get someone to take a good look at your own work.

Are you saying that you want to remove the option of participants cutting their own profiles and heat treating themselves? That seems overly restrictive to me. Having the option of professional heat treating and supplied blank profiles is great for many people, but I have stock on hand, a heat treat oven, and a well validated recipe. I'd like to be able to make my submission entirely in house because I can, I enjoy the process, and I know I can put out a high quality product (and it's cheaper to boot).

I'm interested. I had to bow out of last year's kith. It would be nice to give it another go.

Not a hard and fast rule, but if you are not using an oven or thermocouple monitored forge, it’s probably best to have the blade heat treated by someone who does have that equipment. I will heat treat anyone in Canada’s blade for free if you cover shipping. I would offer it to the US too, but the us postal service is having a lot of delays. It could take 3-4 weeks each way to ship the blades.

Let’s see some pics of what people are designing, or what they have started.

I have three AEB-L nakiri blanks that I heat treated a few weeks ago. My plan is to grind and finish all three of them and then send in the nicest one. The blade length is a bit shy of 170mm, but Willie71 Willie71 said that is ok as long as it isn't a paring knife. The cell phone picture below is not the greatest, it makes the blade look wider in the front.

This is my first KITH and I am pretty excited about it. I'd like to see what everybody else is planning to do.

o0WwVVK.jpg

Hmmm
I have three AEB-L nakiri blanks that I heat treated a few weeks ago. My plan is to grind and finish all three of them and then send in the nicest one. The blade length is a bit shy of 170mm, but Willie71 Willie71 said that is ok as long as it isn't a paring knife. The cell phone picture below is not the greatest, it makes the blade look wider in the front.

This is my first KITH and I am pretty excited about it. I'd like to see what everybody else is planning to do.

o0WwVVK.jpg
Hmmm. I was thinking about doing a nakiri too. Maybe I will switch it up,

Hmmm

Hmmm. I was thinking about doing a nakiri too. Maybe I will switch it up,
I think you should do what you want to do and not let what somebody else makes influence your decision. There will likely be more than two similar knives if all sixteen people that are in as of now finish a knife.

I think you should do what you want to do and not let what somebody else makes influence your decision. There will likely be more than two similar knives if all sixteen people that are in as of now finish a knife.

Very true, However I have about 20 knife designs that I would like to try so for this instance I will chose another. Have wanted to try a "bowie chef" style for a while so will probably have a play with the below design. Been musing about playing with a don carlos style differential heat treat which may or may not happen depending on time. Should be a fun build either way

OGy6f4N.jpg

Back