22 Ammo

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by the lone gunman, Apr 5, 2013.

1. the lone gunman

the lone gunman

May 29, 2008
    sr22 Ruger.jpg

Last weekend my Son and I shot up 500rds of 22 ammo so I wanted to rebuild my stock. Our largest Gun shop had none nor do any of the big online stores,Midway/Cabelas/Sportsmans guide. I went on a road trip yesterday and found some at a small out of the way gun shop. Those Federal Bulk in the photo..........$39.99. They would only sell me 1 box of the 4 that they had. Call me a Fool for this purchase and you would be Right.

As for the Ruger SR22, Ive put a couple 1000 rds thru it.SUPER GREAT little pistol.Picked it up about 2 months ago for $299.00/$322.00 Total. Great carry gun for woods walking,very light 17oz. Came with 2 mags/2 grips/2 mag bumpers/carry case.

How about some pics of your Favorite 22 handgun?

2. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    It's a shame that things are so bad but apparently it is like that in most areas. Compared to the prices I've seen at the shows lately $39.99 for those Federals was a good deal. That is my normal shooter in most of my 22s and I have been shooting sparingly. If there is a a larger store near you that sells ammo try being friendly with the people at the ammo counter. I have been lucky enough to maintain other calibers by being at the right store at the right time. If you're willing and have the time, several larger sporting goods stores put ammo out on the same day every week. Be warned the lines can be unbelievable: a friend of mine stood in line earlier this week 30 minutes before Sportsman's Warehouse opened then another 45 minutes in the line for ammo. He paid regular price but could only get 300 rounds of 22. He said the line was still across the width of the store when he left. Very nice Ruger, here is one of mine that gets a lot of woods time:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  3. fishshooter

fishshooter

Mar 29, 2006
    Consider yourself lucky. Almost impossible to find .22 around here. And when you do, they limit you to two 50 round boxes. I've seen bricks at a couple places for $80+, don't know if they are actually selling them or not.

4. Jastab

Jastab

Jan 31, 2013
    I was cleaning out my garage a few weeks ago and found 2 555 count boxes of .22lr needless to say I was really happy that I found my stash haha

5. KrisNZ

KrisNZ

Aug 28, 2012
    Why is there such a shortage of.22 ammo?
    Kris.,

6. RetiredGuns

RetiredGuns

Mar 13, 2009
    Cabelas in Chicago area had thousands of CCI minimags for $7.95 per 100 but had a 1 box limit. I found a small gunshop in a tiny town that had boxes of 50 for $4 and bought 3 more boxes. Never thought I'd see the day when .22s were scarce, but there are a few million .22s out there easily. I can always shoot squirrels and rabbits if the kids are starving!

7. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    Two questions.
    1. If I have more .22 ammo than anyone else here, what do I win?
    2. How many boxed rounds of .22 fit in two .30 cal military ammo cans? :D

8. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    You a bad shot, or just like small game?:D
    Hoarder.:p

9. Wicked Sharp

Wicked Sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2007
    .22 ammo is pretty much non-existent in SGa., at the moment, with no signs of relief. Some calibers are being restocked fairly regularly, but not .22. Sure am glad I had a little put back. Newest member of the family is a Ruger Single-Ten. Beautiful revolver, well executed, and extremely accurate. I would highly recommend one if you can find it.

10. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    Nah, I've always kept a lot of .22 ammo. A lot of flavors too. From CB caps to shotshells and Stingers, shorts etc. Sometimes I just like to go out and plink. And it is hard to find them for fifty cents a box nowdays. In fact, I haven't bought any in over a year if you can imagine that.

11. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Ruger MarkI 7.5 inch target barrel.

Lucky you could find any ammo. I have literally not seen a single round of new .22 ammo since the run on ammo by the government.

12. andpinger

andpinger

Aug 12, 2009
    Obama... Gun control... panic buying...

13. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Thanks, Obama.

14. michaelm466

michaelm466

Mar 5, 2009
    I have mine in a .50cal can, but I have about 5500 rounds with probably enough room for another 500 round brick, not that I will find one anytime soon, I've pretty much stopped shooting besides my 12g with bird shot since it's the only thing I can find easily, everything else is either sold out or 3-4x the price 6 months ago.

15. MikeC

MikeC

Sep 16, 2005
    Can't find it here and when u can its 90 plus a brick. Of course the limit is 1 and there gone before u can get to
    The store

16. GingivitisKahn

GingivitisKahn

Jun 8, 2010
    You were lucky to be able to replace what you shot. Saw a few bricks in a new local gun shop the other day ... for $119 each. Granted, they were match ammo but whatever.

---

Beckerhead #42

17. MSgt

MSgt

Mar 3, 2006
    Simply put, .22 ammo is scarce due to panic buying by the populace - no other reason. A good example if this is when, decades ago, Johnny Caron on the Tonight Show made a joke about a shortage of toilet paper the sheeple [herd] ran out [stampeded] and emptied the grocery store shelves (I saw carts full of nothing by toilet paper) in panic - thereby actually creating a shortage. You cannot even blame Homeland Security as their buys are not in the .22 caliber.

18. fishshooter

fishshooter

Mar 29, 2006
    There were several articles last year that stated there would be a lead shortage in 2013 due to the demand for batteries, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

19. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    my favorite, and currently only .22 LR handgun, is an old S&W model 63. Minute of squirrel accurate, and a constant companion when I hike and camp. I have several life time's of ammo set aside. :cool:
    [​IMG]

20. Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce

Nov 15, 2006
    I haven't bought ammo in a while, I usually stock up twice a year or so. Now I've heard that times were tough but I didn't know they were that though. I'm really glad that I stocked up last summer! I don't know what'd I'd do if I couldn't feed what I've got.
    I'll have to check things out next time I'm in town, but then that might not be for another 6 months...