3inch Camping Knife

GGD

Hello, I would like to get a good quality folder for camping and outdoor use. The blade can be no longer than 3 inches, but exactly 3 is okay. I also don't want to spend more than around $85. I was looking at a Benchmade Mini Griptilian, but I am not sure if it is the best knife for my needs. Any suggestions?

I always have to put in a plug for the Cold Steel Mini Recon 1. For camp tasks with axis lock it's pretty excellent and the AUS 8 is a good steel. In fact, one of the things that kind of surprises me is how well the aus8 holds and edge compared to s30v. Don't get me wrong, s30v is better, just not worlds better.

12f0e98a-01ee-40cc-be3e-2a014b939251_zps6bf72ba9.png

Here's the recon compared to a Manix 3 and Kershaw Chive.

Last edited:
I always have to put in a plug for the Cold Steel Mini Recon 1. For camp tasks with axis lock it's pretty excellent and the AUS 8 is a good steel. In fact, one of the things that kind of surprises me is how well the aus8 holds and edge compared to s30v. Don't get me wrong, s30v is better, just not worlds better.

You mean Tri-ad lock.

With no more information than you gave us, I'd have to suggest you look at the Buck 112. Three inch blade, solid, and $69 for the base model.

I carried this for most of the time I was in the Army and on and off since then. It did everything I needed and more. Camping, general usage, and the odd difficult job as well.

Is it my favorite? No, but my favorite is well over you $ goal. The Buck 112 is an excellent choice given your specifications. You could do far worse.

As to the mini-grip; I like them, but I wouldn't characterize them as camping or "outdoor" knives.

Cheers, Ed
edh3007 - because 30.06 was taken :)

I think that you have a similar thread going in "camping"--I posted this there:

Cold Steel's mini recon 1 is a great little blade (30-40 dollars I think--it's been a while); it's tough and fairly resistant to the elements, very easy to sharpen in the field, and if you damage it while putting it through its paces, inexpensive enough that you will not feel bad. I have the clip point and have to say that it has impressed me.

Last edited:
I'm not much help, as a "camping/outdoor" knife in my book is a fixed blade. Sure, I have lots of folders that are 3" blades, like Sages and Calys, that are wonderful, but I don't consider a folder in that price range as fit for any type of heavier-duty outdoor use. I suppose if you're trimming tent pegs, a folder is fine, but camping "often" means batoning for some type of fire-prep, which usually means fixed blade use.
I would guess that a basic Spyderco Sage 1 would do as well as anything in that price range. Good luck to you, sir.

I can second this. It is indeed a Tri-ad lock. No biggie, we all get what you meant.

I EDC my Recon 1 Mini EVERY DAY. I even sleep and shower with my Mini. I do everything with it. Shaving, picking out splinters, food prep, I've batoned with this thing a few times (small logs, of course). You can't beat the strength of the Tri-ad lock. The coating is absolute garbage but there is a beautiful stonewashed finish underneath to make up for it. The steel is decent, especially the way Cold Steel does it. For your price limit you can pick one up for harder use then go ahead and get you a RAT-2 for other lighter-duty tasks.

Here are some pics of my Recon after a day of hard use.

http://s218.photobucket.com/user/killtation/library/Recon 1 mini?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:
For your price limit you can pick one up for harder use then go ahead and get you a RAT-2 for other lighter-duty tasks.
^^^^

Get the Mini Recon 1 first. Then later maybe a RAT 2 or a Zancudo or ... another Mini Recon 1.

This is my backcountry travel combination.

Outdoor Carry by Pinnah, on Flickr

The Opinel is light and tough. Suggest you get the #8 if you have normal size L hands. The Squirt is useful for equipment repair. This combination assumes relying on a tent and stove for camping, not full bore "destroy the woods" bushcraft.

The Rat 2 or ESEE Zancudo would be my picks in the modern realm. Possibly a Buck Vantage (but I dislike hollow grinds for use in the woods).

The Buck 112 is an interesting suggestion. I think it is the prettiest production knife ever. But, I find it too heavy and bulky for pocket carry and among the traditional Bucks, vastly prefer the Buck 500 Duke for EDC use. Both are too heavy for backpacking, imo. I find the light Opinels tougher and better suited for wood working and food prep - the 2 primary uses I have in the woods.

Rat 2.

If the 3in is a hard limit, then the opinel 8 (and 7) are out, same with the svörd peasant (one of my favorite camping knives). But the rat 2 is just about a perfect for what you are asking for.

I think it's hard to beat a Vic SAK as a camping knife. Then get a Mora for light duty fixed blade tasks all within your budget.

Hello, I would like to get a good quality folder for camping and outdoor use. The blade can be no longer than 3 inches, but exactly 3 is okay. I also don't want to spend more than around $85. I was looking at a Benchmade Mini Griptilian, but I am not sure if it is the best knife for my needs. Any suggestions?

You can get a Spyderco Delica for $65, the full flat ground version slices very very well. The lock is a durable, proven back lock. The knife is very slim, and it has full steel liners.

The Griptillian is overpriced for a knife with a gimmicky lock and nothing underneath the hollow plastic handle.

If you want to go cheaper, look at the ESEE Zancudo. It's a really good slicer and is super flat in the pocket. It's also a G10 handled framelock with phosphor bronze washers and decent steel.

The Delica is a good knife and one of my favorites. I believe the FRN Spyderco Natives are around your budget limit and they are great general purpose knives.

Any SAK would be good. They have excellent quality, the saws don't wear out, and they work well if you get one with a saw. You may be able to start a fire with the mag glass, although I never have.

Do you really want a folder? In my experience these short knives are used for a lot of food-related tasks.. meaning they get covered in a lot of different gunk. I'd stick to a small stainless fixed blade for ease of cleaning and keeping it sanitary.

Another vote for a SAK. Many parks and camps are putting limits on what you can carry and a SAK is very sheeple friendly. A Farmer or a Pioneer should do the trick.

What are your needs?

I'll echo statements above, Swiss Army Knife from Wenger/Victorinox or a Leatherman - small-blade multi-tools that have impressive versatility and can easily be had for <$85. Heck, my Leatherman Charge TTi was only ~$85 when i got it. It goes with me everywhere and comes in handy all the time. There are also Gerber multitools you could get, but the cheaper ones tend to be lower quality imports. Just consider what tools you might need/want and which tools you really don't need/want and pick a model that meets this, pretty simple.

Before I had the Leatherman, I got by with a Wenger Traveler SAK, and before that I used an old Barlow. For my uses, i felt the lack of pliers on the latter two, would be the same for a modern folder, but if you only need a blade then perhaps an Opinel or Mini-Grip would work for you. *shrug*

Mini-Grip is a nice knife; Spyderco Sage1 is my favorite that fits your description.
But for camping, I agree a fixed-blade is generally more suitable. BK-24 with scales would be about perfect.

I am with the BSA and the troop I am with does not allow fixed blades except for cooking.

Hello, I would like to get a good quality folder for camping and outdoor use. The blade can be no longer than 3 inches, but exactly 3 is okay.

Perfect description to get . . . . .

. . . . . . 3000 different recommendations . . . .

:p

camping use what? - DEFINE
outdoor use what? - DEFINE

Back