Is the uneven grind a problem?

• No, It’s fine

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Yes, It will create problems

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

StrangeDaze

Gold Member
I just got a recon tanto in 3v and the grind near the tip is off. On one side where the secondary grind starts doesn’t line up with the secondary tip. I was wondering if this was common or could be a problem with sharpening. I feel like it may end up making an awkward secondary tip eventually? Or would it self correct with sharpening? Is this typical of newer cold steel products?

hard to see in the photos but here they are
YklIS66.jpg
o9DG5dU.jpg

This is the other side, it seems to be perfect
XwqtUnz.jpg

My 3V SRK had an uneven grind near the tip.

My rule of thumb is, if something is bothering me about a knife...it immediately goes back for an exchange. I try to keep my expectations realistic, but I didn't want an uneven grind on my knife. The replacement was perfect.

The only way it really would be a problem is if you kept it pristine and wanted to sell it to someone who wanted a perfectly symmetrical Recon Tanto.

It looks like a user so I would not worry about it.

It doesn’t seem to be a major imperfection. Could you still exchange it for another unit?

If this is a designated user knife, I wouldn’t worry about it. I don’t think it will compromise your knife’s performance.

Bit of 500 grit wet & dry on a flat surface will bring it right out.
Just did my voyager xl tanto, as I dinged it on a stone took just a few minutes.

Back