40 dollar budget

I have 40 bucks and want to get a folder. I dont want your average normal budget folder but something new to look into. Tell me what you know!

Under $40 you can't beat the Ontario Rat, 1 or 2. I don't know if that's new to you but they're great knives.

You can get the new version of the Rat 1 now too. It's a different knife I know but it's modeled after the Rats.

The Esse Avispa, a framelock. Or, if you want a smaller framelock, the Zancudo.

define not average folder? I think almost every folder I own thats under $40 is pretty normal in my eyes. Only weird folders I own are Opinels, and they arent probably what you want anyway

Online, Buck 110 50h Anniversary is under $40. The Ecolites in both 112 and 110 sizes are also in your budget.

Zieg

I like the Rat 1. You could also find a Cold Steel
Large Voyager. I recommend the vaquero plain edge.

I have several Esee Zancudos. They are a fabulous little knife that is well within your stated budget.

Instead of buying one knife you could buy two budget knives for around 40 dollars:
Enlan el-01 + Ontario Utilitac II.

IMO the Enlan el-01 is a bit better than the Rat 1.

Slippies! Case Peanut, Stockman, Trapper, Mini Trapper... So many options!

The Kershaw/Emerson collabs are nice too.

If you look around enough you can get a cold steel recon 1 for around $40 which would be my first choice in that pricerange. Theres also the cold steel voyager series (plenty of variants to choose from for whatever your prefrence may be), the spyderco resilience which is a big one, kershaw/emerson collabs are a great option too, and if you like traditionals the buck 301 stockman is an excellent choice too. Theres alot more options but these are my top ones, I go for the bigger knives.

Ontario Utilitac or Cold Steel Recon 1. They are not average budget folders. They are the reigning kings of the bang for your buck category. IMO, of course.

All good stuff so far!

My first thought was a Kershaw Emerson collaboration knife too. I've been debating on buying one of the frame locks myself.

Want something interesting, pick up a CRKT Graphite - about $40, give or take. Something about the Klecker lock just fascinates me; it operates just like a lockback, but using only the handle scales. Also, it's the only lockback design I've seen with a flipper, and the IKBS on such a cheap knife is awesome. I just wish the blade stock was a bit thinner, like the NIRK Tighe - it makes the knife a bit heavy and hurts cutting performance a bit. Still, I find it aesthetically and functionally intriguing, and it's one of only a few production NIRKs (all CRKT), with the custom world being exclusive to Brian Tighe as far as I know.

Last edited:
Back