630..........1st impressions from a new owner

ARtsig1

Banned
I do believe Benchmade has gotten the framelock correct. My only other experience with a BM framelock was the 750. I had a few of these and never could get one to consistently lockup as it should have. The 630 though is a whole other knife. The framelock goes over to cover about 1/3rd of the blade tang and does not have that stuck feeling to it. The framelock itself has a stiff spring which is how I like it to be. Ball detent locks up perfectly so that upon closing the last 1/4 inch or so seems to be "sucked" right into the handle. Blade is perfectly centered within the handle and tightening up on the action has not caused it to move any. Talking of the blade, it came very, very sharp out of the box. Great grind lines on both sides and even on both sides. The handle is more of a gray/blue and the anodizing is very even throughout it. A little windex on it may bring out the color more. The blade is satin finished and nicely done.

Even though I haven't had it long it is still easy to see that BM has done a much better job in the lock department. The only gripe I have is the pocket clip and I only wish it afforded a little deeper carry, although only about 1/3rd of the handle actually sticks out. A carry clip like the 420 would be nice.

I can clearly remember when the Cuda MAXX first came out and how excited I was to see how well Camillus had done on their framelock...............well, I'm excited again and think that BM has done a most excellent job with the 630! :cool: :D :cool:

EDIT: That's 1/3 of an inch of the handle sticks up out of my pocket, not 1/3rd of the knife!!

Danbo

Platinum Member
Just picked up one of these big honkin monster folders this last weekend, but haven't carried it yet. I am very impressed with what I see so far though.

I flipflopped and picked up another Skirmish after I returned my first one. It's huge knife but I will find some use for it. :cool:

I carry one of these bad boys and I like it ......alot!!!!!! I also have a 630 from the 1st production run #0921/1000 that is put away. :D Great knife!!

Your 630 is blue!? Very strange, mine is quite green. In any case it is a very cool knife, especially considering the price.

I got mine today in the mail. When I opened the box, and removed the soft bag, I literally laughed outloud. Mostly at the sheer shock of seeing how massive this thing is! It's akin to taking a large Sebenza, zapping it with gamma rays, making it mad to see it turn into the Incredible Hulk. I love it!

Mine is green, too.

Danbo

Platinum Member
agony said:
I got mine today in the mail. When I opened the box, and removed the soft bag, I literally laughed outloud. Mostly at the sheer shock of seeing how massive this thing is! It's akin to taking a large Sebenza, zapping it with gamma rays, making it mad to see it turn into the Incredible Hulk. I love it!

Mine is green, too.

Great description. I know Neal will laugh when he reads that. :D

ARtsig1

Banned
GREEN!!! Just checked again and mine sure looks blue/gray to me. Even after the windex treatment. You know, the Cuda MAXX's were in the same situation with different shades of blue showing up.......but never green to my recollection. Odd, but doesn't affect the knife itself and what it is. I liked that discription also agony! Btw, I'm carrying it today and it rides as flat as any knife I've carried.......easy to draw and fairly easy to replace. As someone said in another post; the 630 doesn't look as big until you open the blade and then the size of it hits you! I can agree wholeheartdly with that! :cool: :cool: :D

I love mine but have not carried it much. It amazes me when I look at it becasue I could swear there is no way that blade will be covered by that handle, it is very deceptive. Talk about a very size efficient design there it is just amazing.

ARtsig1

Banned
Just another thought on this knife; I would like to see the scales at .150" thick. They are currently .130".

I agree that the scales could be bit thicker although I wonder if that really makes much difference interms of the strength of this knife.

ARtsig1

Banned
It would have to make some difference in strength but like you said, I wonder if it would really make any difference. I'd like to see thicker scales for the look it would give the knife. Of course I'll take it just as is since it is a neat package to begin with! As a matter of fact I've just taken it apart and cleaned everything, polished up the blade tang (the portion that the washers contact), relubed with Miltec, polished the washers, and then put it all back together. Lockup is identical to where it was before I took it down! Blade is still completely centered down the middle, in fact the only thing to change is the fact I have been able to tighten up the pivot a little bit more and the blade still moves out with a good thumb push to snap into lock-up.

I REALLY like this BM!!

ida

Art you picked up a nice knife.. I have seen these and I am very pleased at the way Benchmade did this Blackwood design. :)

ARtsig1

Banned
Hi Ida!! Long time and no speak. Hope things are going real well with you. :D :D :D Yep, I think BM really nailed it on this one......never held a genuine Blackwood but from the pics it looks like BM has made a faithful reproduction. I'm very pleased with how they've executed the framelock! :cool: :)

ida

good to see you here Art. ;) I can't wait till one day I will be able to hold a custom Blackwood folder. :cool:

I went to a gun/knife show here in Reno today at the Reno Hilton, and a dealer had the last one of the 6 he had brought in his pocket, and he let me handle it, and after a little talking he decided to let me have it instead of keeping it for himself. He said the first 5 sold in less than 30 minutes after the show opening, and he was a big dealer with many brands of knives but the BM Skirmish was the one that went the fastest, and many looked at it but many did not have the funds or other various reasons of not buying it. He would have sold all 6 in less than 30 minutes had he not decided to keep one for himself but then changed his mind for the sale to me(maybe because he heard Luana, and I talking about getting it for my early birthday present).
I have been reading alot about these knives, and watching how fast they have been moving, and decided at the price he offered the last one to me which was cheaper than most prices I have seen on the internet except for in the for sale section of the forums.
Anyway I figured if Art was impressed then it must be a good knife for the price, and so far he is "dead on" :D
My wife being a knife nut as well was impressed, and said buy it, and don't stutter(what a sweetie she is ;) ), and said if he had another she have told me to buy 2 so she could have one, and I said she could have this one, and I would get another off the interent but seeing as how my birthday is in less than 2 weeks wanted me to have it, and buy her one later, and this one would be an early birthday present besides the Mike Obernauf custom I have coming in 2 weeks for my birthday. What a lady!! :D
Anyway, I am like others very impressed with the knife for it's size as I like Art like mega folders too, and this one fits the bill.
Benchmade definently has a winner with this one.........
Sorry for the long post but some things need to be said(especially about the wife's reactions)about how good a knife this is for a production knife.
Agree Art it's a dandy :D

Larry

PS-Forgot to add that Luana, and I agreed the one we picked up today is a greenish/gray color with no hint of blue.........strange..........

ARtsig1

Banned
I must be colorblind!! Every once in a while I would swear that the one I have is also greenish/gray. :eek: :eek: , but have decided it just don't matter to me anymore. The Skirmish is a great production piece regardless of it's color. Glad you picked one Larry. I know you'll like it. In fact you won't have any use for that Bogie Classic now and you can just send it my way!! ;) Yeah right. :D

I understand from BM's web site that www.cutleryshoppe.com is going to be getting a run of solid gray handled 630's that will have silver dots. Should be a nice 'un!

Hey Larry, you and Luana keep the west coast held down and I'll do the same for the east coast!!!

You would play #### prying that Boguszewski out of my hands as you know. :D Especially now that I just got it back from Gary Graley with a new sheath to carry it in. Works well in the horizontal carry, and got lots of oohhs, and aahs at the show at the Reno Hilton yesterday. I swear it must have taken half a cow in hide to make that sheath :D
I played with the BM 630 all day today while watching football, and after stropping the edge it is beyond "scary sharp" :cool:
Like I said you are dead on about this knife, and one of the best production knives I have ever bought with absolutely NO flaws. Put some Miltec in the pivot, and smooth as babies behind. I don't think you should have to even tear it down to polish the pivot, etc Art like you usually do on the knives you buy.
I like you will enjoy, and see if I can scare some "sheeple" when I pull it out of my pocket :D

Larry