Anyone have a S&W Black Ops 2?

So, I'm about to get a S&W Black Ops II. It looks cool(ish), and it's spring-assisted. I LOVE the CRKT M16, but it's not spring assisted (practicalities aside, I think assisted is cool); I can't afford something nice like a ZT or Benchmade.

Here's what I don't get. I've seen video reviews, where the knife has a the flipper on the back, to open it with. Other videos reviews show that it *doesn't* have the flipper. Both knives seems to look the same otherwise, and they are both called 'S&W Black Ops II / SWBLOP2'.

I'm looking at this one (serrated version) on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWBLOP2BS-Assisted-Stainless/dp/B002BAR9S8/

User picture shows the flipper, stock photo doesn't.

Anyone have one of these? What's the deal?

S&W branded knives are phenomenal pieces of sh*t, garbage produced and pushed by Taylor Brands.

If you wanted an assisted opening flipper knife in that price range, get a Kershaw. You'll get a lifetime warranty with fantastic customer service and likely better steel to boot. OSO Sweet, Drone, Tremor, Asset, Brawler, Volt 2, RJ1, RJ2 all fit what you want.

i can agree with what the above gentlemen have asserted.

S&W knives are about the same quality as their sigma series firearms... they will do the job with a reasonable imitation of their betters, but they are basically trash marketed to those who don't know any better.

I know, I was one of those who didn't know any better. I have since thrown away the ones that broke (most of em) and the only survivor lives in my tacklebox.

Get a Kershaw Needs Work... under $40 and MUCH better made.

I would look into other options, there are plenty of options out there.

S&W branded knives are phenomenal pieces of sh*t, garbage produced and pushed by Taylor Brands.

If you wanted an assisted opening flipper knife in that price range, get a Kershaw. You'll get a lifetime warranty with fantastic customer service and likely better steel to boot. OSO Sweet, Drone, Tremor, Asset, Brawler, Volt 2, RJ1, RJ2 all fit what you want.

+1...

Get a Kershaw Skyline, nice flipper, no spring, Great quaility ....... under 40 smackers ( made in the USA ). John

i actually have one, the green handled version.

bought it for curiousity ont he assist open system and mainly on how good a cheap assisted knive could be.

here's what i learned......

the handles/scales are thick and bulky. it's heavy and awkward in it's design. the aluminum scales are very slippery and make actually using it awkward for any real cutting tasks. i've never stabbed a chunk of meat or a person with it yet, so i can't comment on that.:) it's also rather small for how thick and heavy it is.

the blade steel if i remember correctly is 4034....it came very sharp, but doesn't hold an edge well at all. okay for an average knife user, but not the majority on here. the teflon coating is no different than the cold steel coating on my recon1.

the assisted opening system is kind good actually. the lock - slide on the scale - works to prevent the blade from opening, and also doulbes as a secodary to prevent blade closing lock once the blade is open. i didn't put any pressure on it though other than mild hand torque with the liner lock out of the way, to see how strong it is. it held fine though. it fires open hard and fast, far better than the gerber f.a.s.t., and i hate to say it, but faster and harder than the kershaw speed safe system on the heavier longer knife models, but that's all it has going for it.

the design of the blade and scales puts my pointer finger edge in the way of the blade opening and locking. it still does but i have to adjust my grip on purpose to make sure it doesn't hit my finger. hard to explain, what i am saying, but let's just say it's an awkward design for a normal grip and normal size hands. i don't have the issue with any other system - design as of yet. as usual ymmv.

so to sum up its too heavy and thick for pocket carry, compared to much larger and better blades out there. the steel is on the lower end of what most want. the scales are slippery even with dry hands. the shape and design is awkward. the assisted mechanism i like and that i have nothing bad to say about....then again i am not an engineer.

lastly no flipper on mine. it's a thumbstud setup. i had no interest in pursuing more of these so i stopped at one. i'd look elsewhere...lots of better options out there.

Thanks guys, great to hear some second opinions. I was kinda on the fence about S&W anyway, so I guess I'll look elsewhere.

I was ever much into Kershaw. Guess I kinda want an expensive knife, without the expensive price :-/

Thanks for the list, like em sharp - very helpful. Most Kershaw knives are kind of ugly IMHO, or just not that impressive - Brawler looks ok, though.

Thanks people! I'll keep looking...

Thanks guys, great to hear some second opinions. I was kinda on the fence about S&W anyway, so I guess I'll look elsewhere.

I was ever much into Kershaw. Guess I kinda want an expensive knife, without the expensive price :-/

Thanks for the list, like em sharp - very helpful. Most Kershaw knives are kind of ugly IMHO, or just not that impressive - Brawler looks ok, though.

Thanks people! I'll keep looking...

Expensive? The entire list of Kershaw knives I posted should sell for cheaper than that S&W you linked to.

Should read 'I was never much into Kershaw'. I tried to go back and edit that, page wouldn't load.

That's exactly what I'm saying though. I always looked at Kershaw as a kind of Cheap-ish brand. But hey, guess that's what I'm gonna get if I don't wanna pay ;-)

I really want a Cold Steel Recon. Just can't bring myself to pay that much.

Expensive is a relative term. I sell knives that are $6 at my auto parts store and most people would never spend more than that. $20 on a knife to them is stupid, let alone $120. To me, anything under $100 is relatively cheap, anything over $200 is getting relatively expensive, but not out of my budget. $400+ is getting into the "should I really be spending this kind of money for a knife" territory for me.

That's exactly what I'm saying though. I always looked at Kershaw as a kind of Cheap-ish brand. But hey, guess that's what I'm gonna get if I don't wanna pay ;-)

Kershaw is one of the best in the industry, and Cold Steel has *nothing* on them. Not quality, not innovation, not choice, certainly not customer service, warranty or support. I have no clue where you're getting that idea from but it's not based anywhere in reality.

Should read 'I was never much into Kershaw'. I tried to go back and edit that, page wouldn't load.

They have knives in all different price ranges. :)

They make good knives, so does Cold Steel so it just depends on you want or like. :D

It's more than worth it to save up a bit for the Cold Steel, especially if you like the Recon. It's going to be a good knife, you will enjoy using it more, it will work better, and it will last longer than the S&W. It's like that "law of diminishing returns," but in the other direction. You end up nickel and diming yourself into wasting money with a cheapo knife.

Not sure what you mean by Kershaw being a cheap-ish brand. They do span a wider market than most other companies. Thomas here has said that he doesn't consider Spyderco and Benchmade to be Kershaw's competitors because they market to a more mainstream market in stores like Walmart. But at the same time, they produce good, more expensive knives that are comparable to Spyderco's and Benchmades. If you chose the right knife from them, you get a bang for your buck better than that of companies with a smaller economy of scale IMO. Their quality and customer service are excellent.

And besides...that S&W Black Ops 2 screams ninja/chairborne commando. Blech. Patooey. Yuk.

1. If you want a spring assisted knife, make sure it's legal in your area.

2. Buy something other then S&W knives.

3. Kershaw is much better for the money. I also saw amazon has a CRKT Ignitor for a few bucks more. CRKT>SW too imo.

If you look on auction sites, you can get a Kershaw Blur on the cheap. I bought a tanto blur for about 30$ all told - the knife didn't suit me all that well but it has most of the same features as that S&W you were looking at with much better build quality. I know you said you weren't much into kershaw, but it's something to consider. It might be right up your alley.

Back