A Busse fixed to folder conversion

Hi guys, some of you might have seen a couple threads in the past hinting at me making a folder from a Busse fixed blade for Walking man, well Iam not making his but I have started the process of turning what I think is a BA III Anorexic into a Framelock folder.Mr Busse himself stepped in that last thread and gave us permission, its been a few months, I would hope its still cool with him otherwise I just made an expensive paperweight:~) First set of in progress pics are in the thread linked below, the rest will be posted here. Your welcome to make sugestions, let me know what you think as I move along with the project. I actually had a choice of two knives from a very cool customer of mine, I will let him come into this thread and make himself known if he cares to. I originally wanted something in the 1/4 inch thickness range, but of the two knives I got to pick from one was thicker than 1/4 inch and one was thinner.I chose to do the first knife from the thinner of the two and might do the second one depending on how this comes out, with Jerry's approval of course. I think this will be a fun project and I will keep you updated.
Thanks
Matt

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369206

randucci

Flipper folder collector
Platinum Member
Cool, can't wait to see the out come. Matt we talked at Blade, I'm glad to see you start the project, I'll what I have in 1/4" for the next one if it works out.

:D

Its now a working folder, though it doesnt lock open yet. Couple progress pics.
Matt

Attachments

• Busse4.jpg
    Busse4.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 409
  • Busse5.jpg
    Busse5.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 265
  • Busse6.jpg
    Busse6.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 344
Yep, 6AL4V Ti handle slabs. After I get the lock bar cut and the lock fit I will contour the handle slabs and make a pocket clip. Then some Fizz and....

leatherman

leathermoderator
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Very nice! Me like! :D:D Got me digging through the knife drawer already!

The lock bar is cut and fit,lock up is rock solid and she opens nice and smooth with the bronze washers. Handle contour work is about 75% complete. Not alot of work left now, still needs a thumb stud and a pocket clip after I finish the contour work and blast the handle slabs. Next pics should be of it just about done! One thing Iam a little worried about is the blade says "Busse Custom Shop" and I normally mark my own knives on the blade, I dont want this to ever be confused or sold as a Busse Custom folder for obvious reasons. I was planning on engraving inside the handle frame something with my name in there, what do you guys think? Something like folder conversion by Cucchiara Knives or Matt Cucchiara?
Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• Busse77.jpg
    Busse77.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 340
  • Busse8.jpg
    Busse8.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 229
  • Busse9.jpg
    Busse9.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 291
I'd say go ahead and put your name and logo on there somewhere, but I wouldn't worry about it ever being sold as a knife out of the Busse shop.

Anyone who would buy this knife will know it's history. If it's ever sold I'm sure it will stay within a pretty tight circle.

randucci

Flipper folder collector
Platinum Member
To me, it is kind of like when you were modding the Sebenzas, we knew they were originally made by CRK, but we also knew they were reworked by you. I don't think the desert tan finish will go very well with the titanium scales, so if you strip the finish, the blade will have a nice dull grey finish. The Busse Custom Shop logo will still be there, but it won't stand out near as much. I think you could add your logo to the other side.

Outstanding! :cool: Congrats Mike, nicely done. A framelock eh? I like that idea a lot, great locking mechanism. The tighter you grip the knife the tighter the locking.

This will really wet everyone's appeitie for a factory folder! :D

Pontiaker said:
The lock bar is cut and fit,lock up is rock solid and she opens nice and smooth with the bronze washers. Handle contour work is about 75% complete. Not alot of work left now, still needs a thumb stud and a pocket clip after I finish the contour work and blast the handle slabs. Next pics should be of it just about done! One thing Iam a little worried about is the blade says "Busse Custom Shop" and I normally mark my own knives on the blade, I dont want this to ever be confused or sold as a Busse Custom folder for obvious reasons. I was planning on engraving inside the handle frame something with my name in there, what do you guys think? Something like folder conversion by Cucchiara Knives or Matt Cucchiara?
Thanks
Matt

Looks awesome!

Have you considered a small spine engraving?

The guy its going to is solid, if it did get traded around some day I would just hate to see it passed off as something its not. I agree about the tan color, has anyone stripped this off before with like a paint stripper? Does it need to be sanded or bead blasted off, Iam pretty sure either one of these methods would remove the blade marking.
Matt

I too like the idea of stripping the coating. A signature on the blade spine (as you now do) would be great! Something like "Mod by Matt":D ?
I also believe that there is enough of the Cucchiara look to this folder (will fizzies be added?) to disuade anyone from passing it off as a true Busse Custom folder.
By the way Matt, it looks fantastic!