A folder with an "open" back

is the equivalent of a revolver with no sideplate or an auto without grips.

Can't see how anyone can count on a knife that has a built in junk catcher.

:confused:

I've never had anything get caught in the back of my knife, but I have used the open back of my AFCK to sluice out the knife when it needed cleaning. I agree with the dork on this one. :D

Kind of like comparing a bucket to a bucket with the bottom cut out of it. Which one will hold dirt easier? :)

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
Are you dissin' my SEBENZA !?!?!? :grumpy:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :p

I love knives with this feature, it really is easy to keep 'em clean. As long as I use the clip or a pouch I never have a problem with stuff getting in the back.

Suit yourself. Almost all of my favorite folders have open backs. The ones that do require little cleaning or maintenance, while knives like my 710HS with its full length backspacer and skeletonized liners, and my Spyderco lockbacks with the bottom side of their locking mechanisms exposed continually collect lint and bits and pieces of stuff.

Lavan said:
is the equivalent of a revolver with no sideplate or an auto without grips.

Can't see how anyone can count on a knife that has a built in junk catcher.

:confused:

I just took out my sak and opened all the blades. You wouldn't believe the amount of pocket fuzz in there.

Gonna run down to the basement and use the compressor to blow the gunk out now.

Drew

Because my CUDA Maxx is open back, I can thread a kleenex in one side an out the other, and pull it through. Makes cleaning a breeze. With the closed back one, you have to get a q-tip, or some canned air or something.

Thor

i can see where change would be a problem if you keep your knife in your front pocket and keep your change in there as well, but i keep my change in the little watch pocket and use my front right pocket pretty much for my knife alone. so im going to go with its easier to keep clean

ARtsig1

Banned
I sorta prefer a solid spacer myself, but have found the "open-back" design to be more practical. Only problem I've ever run into with the ob was with change getting wedged in it, which is precisely why I carry my big edc for the day in my right pocket all by it's lonesome! Left pockets were made for small edc's and change.

Ilovetoolsteel said:
I just took out my sak and opened all the blades. You wouldn't believe the amount of pocket fuzz in there.

THAT's my argument. You OPENED it. Even with fuzz an junk.

Every time I had one, I never found it dirty. Just STUCK on a dime usually. I think the record was a dime and two pennies. Not a pleasant surprise, and I wasn't using it in a back alley. Just cuttin fishweed outta the pond or slicin salami.

I carry it in my pocket with change. Call me crazy, but that's what I use my pocket for.

:D

Nordic Viking

BANNED
Before I bought my Fällkniven U2, I used to EDC my Mod. P.
It used to collect alot of dirt, but then again it was easy to clean. If I wear it nowadays I use the pouch.

I prefer the open design for its ease of cleaning. The knives with a backspacer might collect a little less dirt but it is also harder to get out. WIth the open construction ost of the lint etc that can collect in there cen be removed by pulling out the knife anbd blowing the debris out.

Ilovetoolsteel said:

Gonna run down to the basement and use the compressor to blow the gunk out now.

Drew

That's not fuzz, that's tinder. :)