Done

Jon Jewell has tried to post a pic of his khuk, but with no success. Me being the suave & de-boner person that I am (with Bawanna's charm school under my belt, I volunteered to help him out so here is his entry pic.
View attachment 896239
Thanks Steve! I am obviously technologically challenged trying to post a pic from my phone. I appreciate the assist.

As promised here is a typical use of the Manakamana at my place. Yesterday was a burn day. Have been accumulating brush piles on the hill side for the past 2 winters with no chance to get to burn while conditions were safe. Yesterday was a perfect day - 2 days of rain before, another day of rain after and no wind. A bit too warm for this kind of work as I usually do this in the winter - snow on the ground makes for a completely safe burn. Cold air makes it more comfortable. No snow yesterday though made for a safer day for the worker and a drier experience too, for me and the tools.

Here is looking up into the woods. You are seeing 3 pretty good size brush piles each behind the other as the hill climbs. Fire in the foreground. SPOT THE HAND TOOLS. You can see more tree debris on the ground. All was cleaned up before end of day.

View attachment 896643

And here are the hand tools crowding each other out for a glamour shot. They are so vain. The Manakamana and my
Silky KATANABOY Saw are the preferred woods work team. That KBOY is nearly 4' long with an 18" blade. I had a smaller Silky (another one on order) that I found in one of my winter fires with the handle all melted off and the blade all discolored. Somehow it just got raked into the fire :confused:. The bright neoprene tape on the handles helps for gripping and for keeping the tools from getting lost or tossed into the burn.

Chain saw was used yesterday too but it's camera shy - or maybe FLAME shy. :D
Man that was a HOT fire!

View attachment 896651

I could work 3 weeks in these woods to make it as nice and park like as I would like but as it is, I can only do 2 or 3 days at a time - maybe once or twice each year. Didn't have a chance last year to burn - just accumulate piles.
Real happy to get this done. A very long day and I say out loud - some of the hardest, most intense work I do. You can see up the hill to the right of the burn that the results are well worth the effort. Still lots more to go. These tools will be in on all of that work.

View attachment 896648

All that's left is a very big but still diminishing ember pile today and a pretty tired old man :( (Yes, I am pretty :rolleyes:)

Cheers, Ray

Oh man, you burned a Silky. That is both sad and hilarious at the same time.

Curious to see a pic of the victim if you still have it.

I've been stuck on my Laplander for years and only tried a Silky for the first time last year. I was so Impressed I bought 4 different models and passed the Laplander on to a buddy, lol

I'll play. So far I've got a lightly used BAS I picked up on a whim that I can't decide if it's too pretty so I should stop using it, or if it's too pretty so I need to use it some more! I'll see if I can get an action shot posted here before too long. Lately I've been using it as a draw knife for debarking and (starting to) carving an old (and quite hard now) piece of cherry my wife wants to turn into a walking stick. It's a little on the thick side for a draw knife, but seems to be working well enough.

Jon sent another pic of his khuk for your digestion. I can no longer tell you who made it as my list of 50 some kamis was destroyed last winter. But Bawanna, Mister Tall, or kamidog could probably tell you who crafted this lovely specimen of HI artwork.
31511706_10105909527970519_6941118340945412096_n.jpg

Oh man, you burned a Silky. That is both sad and hilarious at the same time.

Curious to see a pic of the victim if you still have it.

I've been stuck on my Laplander for years and only tried a Silky for the first time last year. I was so Impressed I bought 4 different models and passed the Laplander on to a buddy, lol

Though I wasn't laughing then - it is pretty funny :confused: :). As for the photos - no - I couldn't bear to document its demise. I do have a new Silky on the way. Got such a good deal I'm worried that I might have got sucked into buying a fake. :eek: A real Silky is a treasure of a tool - nothing else can compare - though I've tried. No turning back on Silkys now.

Here is what's on order - Zubat 330mm body 270-33 I'll be looking for trees just to try it out. Can't wait :thumbsup:

TIMBER,

Ray

Last edited:
This is Lachhu's earlier kami mark. His newer mark also has a sun, but with many more rays.

sYyPwtd.jpg

Though I wasn't laughing then - it is pretty funny :confused: :). As for the photos - no - I couldn't bear to document its demise. I do have a new Silky on the way. Got such a good deal I'm worried that I might have got sucked into buying a fake. :eek: A real Silky is a treasure of a tool - nothing else can compare - though I've tried. No turning back on Silkys now.

Here is what's on order - Zubat 330mm body 270-33 I'll be looking for trees just to try it out. Can't wait :thumbsup:

View attachment 898414

TIMBER,

Ray

Yeah, I can imagine that first reaction. I've been looking at the Zubat as well for backyard use. I think there's one size larger too?

These are the ones I got:

39019862602_84f4d91738_b.jpg

I just sold the Bigboy XL though, the blade felt a bit too fragile for my liking and I was sure I was going to break it if I kept using it. The Ultra Accel is a tank compared to it, and the F180 is nice and slim enough to almost disappear in a cargo-pants-pocket.

The Pocketboy is a fake, but a pretty good one for just 5 bucks including shipping from China. The blade is just a tad thicker than the original so it's quite sturdy.

Almost time to take out the big hat. This GAW ends tomorrow - noon time (PACIFIC TIME).

That's 3 PM Eastern and something in between for the rest of you :).

Drawing and winner announcement sometime Sunday evening - May 6.

Get in while the gettin' in is good.

Ray

As promised today is the winner's day! Drawing out of the BIG SAM HOUSTON HAT

The WINNER IS -

Congratulations McFeeli! :thumbsup: :cool:

Last edited:
As promised today is the winner's day! Drawing out of the BIG SAM HOUSTON HAT

View attachment 900580

The WINNER IS -

TA DA

View attachment 900582

Congratulations McFeeli!

Mr. Winner - please send me an email with your mailing address (and the $ 221.00 as discussed :rolleyes:)and I'll get this out to you - dustyjunco AT G MAIL DOT COM

It's been fun. Thank you all who participated and/or just joined in to cheers us on.

Ray

Wow! I can't thank you enough! I'm really excited to try that beauty out. I'll send you an email right away.

I'm kind of glad you can't see my face because I have one seriously goofy smile going on, haha.

Hasn't been 3 minutes :confused: You've been sitting there all night waiting, haven't you? :D

Enjoy.

Ray

Hasn't been 3 minutes :confused: You've been sitting there all night waiting, haven't you? :D

Enjoy.

Ray

Perfect timing I think, haha. I saw your thread pop up right as I logged on. I almost couldn't believe it, still a bit shell shocked with excitement.

I've sent you an email, though. I'm really grateful for this opportunity, and I really don't think I can thank you enough. So thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thanks Ray for making this a giveaway to remember. And congrats to the lucky winner.

The CAK (Purna) was my first Khukuri from HI and I recall being awestruck for days just hypnotized by its mirror shine. I asked many questions in that first thread and really got to know most of the regulars. I'd like to think of it as the start of a beautiful relationship. What the hey, I'm going to take it out now and admire it some more.

Grats McFeeli! Great knife! Did that hat come with it? Thanks to Ray for passing on the HI spirit of giving and making this such a great place! Killer knife!

Back