1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

A little OT. What Busse would you use to skin THIS!

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by mhawg, Oct 19, 2006.

1. mhawg

mhawg

Jan 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

2. Rat-30

Rat-30

Jan 8, 2004
    I would forgo the Busse, and progress directly to 12-guage!

Sheesh! Some people! :D :thumbup:

3. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    I usually skin rattlers in the 90-95 pound range with an ABA-LE.

YMMV.

4. randucci

randucci Flipper folder collector Platinum Member

Oct 10, 2002
    I would be using you and your Busse knife, I'm not getting close to that thing!!! :eek:

5. aaronjayl

aaronjayl

Apr 5, 2006
    HOly Crap!!! I had no idea those things got THAT big!!!

6. Briggz

Briggz

Oct 18, 2002
    OK not to get on a high horse but I would have let the thing live (unless of corse I planned on eating it). That is a grand speciman of a unique reptile and to kill it just because, is well unjustified. However, to each their own.

P.S. I went to college in Wilmington

:mad: :thumbdn: :mad:

7. Raden

Raden

Mar 20, 2002
    That brings up some bad memories.... like when I turned over the 4wheeler coming down a rough part of the mountain only to see a diamond back under it when I wen't to turn the 4wheeler back over. Was forced to kill it since it wouldn't go anywhere even after I shot at it a few times. LOL I shot almost 2 full mags of 9mm at it before I scored a kill shot to the head... it weighed out at just under 40lbs and it was some tasty eating :D

8. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    We don't know the whole story here. I wouldn't rush to judgment.

9. Josh Muller

Josh Muller

Jun 22, 2003
    i dont know how fast a 9ft snake can travel (though i assume its pretty fast), but it would seem that you could probably get away from it if if you saw it coming.

maybe that wasnt the case - but i try not to kill snakes. they serve a valuable purpose in this life - lowering the amount of gofers i have to kill.

and seriously, that thing is bueatiful... it would be (for whatever reason) nice to know it was out enjoying life somewhere in a feild. pretty much any reptile expert/exibit/zoo would love to have that thing

10. J_Curd

J_Curd

Jul 26, 2006
    I wouldnt kill it unless I had to...I hear they are pretty tasty though.

11. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    If that is the true length of that snake, it is a new world record, shattering the old record by 13".

12. Schuey2002

Schuey2002

Feb 25, 2003
    Heck with skinnin' it! I'd take it and have it stuffed!! :D

13. Evolute

Evolute

Mar 19, 2001
    I call BS on this being an honest representation of a 95 pound, 9'1" rattler.

Firstly, notice that he is holding the snake several feet in front of him, in a photo taken with an extreme wide angle lens... making the snake look disproportionately large in comparison to the person.

Secondly, even if that snake was a large as this picture makes it seem, it still doesn't look to me like a 95 pounder... maybe a 50 pound snake, but I doubt even that.

Thirdly, if that snake was 95 pounds, and he was holding it up on the end of a 3 foot long pole, it would be quite cantilevered, and would seem like several times that weight. Judging by the looks of him... not particularly well built, and not struggling to hold it up... I doubt that snake was anywhere close to 95 pounds.

Lastly, we don't know the size of that man, but he might be a little feller, under five feet, chosen to make the snake look dramatically large by comparison, for all we know.

Anyway, I would let the snake live, if possible. I've encountered many hundreds of rattlers, and never had to kill one, yet. If it was dead, and I was going to skin it, I'd probably have to choose my Pepper Shaker for that task.

14. mhawg

mhawg

Jan 10, 2003
    All things considered the numbers on the snake may be exaggerated but that is still more snake that I like to meet unannounced! I've seen a few 6 & 7 footers up close, alive and dead and each one looked like a coiled up sewer pipe with railroad spikes for fangs! I've never had to kill a rattler but I've chopped up hundereds of cottonmouths in 20 years land surveying through the swamps and marshes of the Carolinas. (w/ a bush axe not a Busse)

15. Schuey2002

Schuey2002

Feb 25, 2003
    Look at how his right hand is gripping that pole. It doesn't appear to me that he is holding on very hard... :rolleyes:

16. Hog Feet

Hog Feet

Apr 7, 2006
    BBSS LE stands for Busse B.S. Skinner Liar Edition;)

There is no way that snake is as big as advertised.

The BBSS LE would be perfect! It is advertised as being a 9" long, 3/8" thick battle blade... but it is really just a slightly larger GW. It should be perfect!;)

17. mhawg

mhawg

Jan 10, 2003
    ........;)

18. G19G26

G19G26

Nov 19, 2001
    Anyway, back to the original question....
    I'd use a Meaner Street in TAN/TAN of course. It only seems right. Then use the skin for inlays for my TAN/TAN blade sheaths. Course it might take more than just this one rattler to do inlays for all of them

19. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    OOH!! OOH!!! ME WANT!!! :D That would make one heck of a shop pet!

btw, it looks like its still alive, and yep, I've seen em near that size. Feeding that monster would break ya. :eek:

I'm a herp fan from way back, neat to see them getting that big, the rattle snake roundups are starting to strain the populations. :( Seems people want the rats, mice and other disease carrying vermine over the nice clean snakes. :rolleyes: