A Quality Traditional Pocket Knife?

Lenny

Gold Member
I don't know how many of you have been following my quest for a traditional pocket knife, specifically a Trapper. To summarize my travails: Bought a new Case Amber bone Trapper with CV blades, nice looks, less than perfect fit and finish, blades wobbled like crazy; Bought a Queen Red Winterbottom bone Trapper, thought it had ATS-34 blades, received it, fit, finish, appearance all virtually perfect, returned it cuz it had regular SS blades; Found out about MooreMaker Knives http://catalog.mooremaker.com/browseGroup.cfm?item_group_id=29383, asked some questions, and ordered the #5202 in Jigged Burnt Orange Bone. Blade steel is 1095.
Now, on to the MooreMaker review.
The knife came yesterday. Upon first glimpse, I fell in love with it. The only problem was that it wasn't all that sharp. I wasn't that surprised. So I put it on the Edge Pro, and a half hour later, I could shave with both blades. Unfortunately, I scratched up the mirror polished finish on both blades. Not to worry though as this will be my EDC User. The Spey blade exhibits no wobble when open; the Clip blade has the tiniest bit of wobble. Both snap closed with authority. Opening and closing of the blades is relatively smooth, but could be better. On the back of the knife, the springs, liners, and handle slabs are all flush with each other. Holding the knife, one notices that it is a bit narrower and slimmer than the Case. This makes it more elegant feeling, and looking, and makes it more comfy in use.
The Jigged Burnt Orange scales are beautiful without being garish. Just the perfect shade of Orange. (I promise to post a Picture ASAP). The MooreMaker shield, set into the bone is quite intricate and under a 10X loupe, appears very nicely done. On the other handle side, directly opposite the shield, is another blank shield for your initials or what have you; nice touch. On the Clip Point blade, there is a serial #, as on the box. Nice touch also. However, the serial # is very lightly engraved. I might have it redone at a jeweler's shop when I have my initials put on the blank shield. What do you think?
Anyway, I am quite pleased with the quality and function of the whole package. I'll keep an eye on the edge holding and report back later.
The nicest touch of all was that Dave Moore (I assume the Pres of the Co.) called me the other day and thanked me for ordering the knife. We spoke for quite a while and it's obvious that he really cares about customer satisfaction.
The price of the knife was $80. However, since I wanted the Burnt Orange handles, and that color only comes on the serial numbered versions, a $15 extra charge was applied. The knives are also offered in smooth bone for the same price. With shipping, the total came to right around $102. Quite a bit of money for a traditional pocket knife, but it's the nicest one I've seen yet. No, I haven't seen the Tony Bose knives, but those cost upwards of 3 times as much.
Overall, quality of the MooreMaker is excellent. I wish they would offer the different handle color options without the $15 upcharge. Also wish they would offer a Satin finish for the blades for those of us who actually want to use their knives. This could also help to reduce the price.
Any other questions, don't hesitate to email.
Lenny

Thanks for the review and keep us updated. I got my eye on their whittler and congress models.

I really like the concept of an engravable blank shield on the other handle side. You're right, that's a nice touch.

I bought myself a Moore trapper with the yellow bone handles, and I like the knife. I have been carrying it for a couple of days, and it is growing on me but it feels like my old Queen Trapper. I'm thinking of buying another Moore.

[This message has been edited by RattlerXX (edited 04-12-2001).]

Back