Advise

Hey guys, i am a knife maker with not a ton of experience in Randalls (though who doesn't know the outstanding reputation). My wives boss found out i made knives and asked if I had ever heard of a Randall. I of course said yes. He is a Vietnam Veteran and had a Old Model 18 Crutchtip Solingen. It was definitely used/scratched and hadn't been stored properly. I restored it the best I could and told him about the value of Randall knives and he told me to sell it for him.

My question is this what information/History should I add when I sell it for him. I know it was carried in three conflicts and I am sure I can figure out the year but do people want to know about the person who carried it, what it was used for? I just want to know the protocol for this.

Also I did my best to restore it but should I send it to Randall for more work? I will post pics when I get home.

thanks Guys any help is appreciated.

IMG_1908_zpsc8dbed06.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
One of the saddest things I ever heard of was when Chargin' Charlie Beckwith sold his two Randalls because he was damn near destitute near the end of his life.I would advise your friend to look for any pictures where he is wearing it and any other proof that he can find such as old travel orders,citations,etc.I am not a collector,but from the knowledge I have gleaned from forums and the unique opportunity of being able to read the works of Mr.Hamilton,Mr.Gaddis,Mr.Hunt,and the more recent timeline and well researched book a young whippersnapper who used to have a chumbawumba avatar has published,I gather that the folks who like to collect are kinda' funny about pieces that have been given too thorough a shine.Once again I look forward to hear what Sheldon advises and hopefully see some pics of the knife itself. Especially the sheath,it has its own story to tell,that is a knife that rode the webgear of a lurp into indian country has more cachet than one that slept in the footlocker of a pogue who was in the rear with the gear.

Wow that is really beautiful willis. I certainly didn't expect that. I will forward that to him. here are some pictures. ONe of how it was received and the others are post cleanup. All i really did was get rid of the gunk and rust with oil, sharpen it and rebuffed the guard. took a little elbow grease but it turned out nice. Again that is an amazing post willis.

IMG_1908_zpsc8dbed06.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
That's a lot better looking without all the verdiwhatever that the frogs call that funky green stuff.Sometimes a fellows idea of cleaning up involves coarse abrasives spun at high rpm's via a dremel tool.I knew a guy that had one of them early pinched tube 18's and his father machined a threaded brass buttcap and threaded the inside of the handle to replace the crutchtip,no jackleg job either as his dad was a master machinist for the Sikorsky helicopter company.He surely had the only one like it in Da Nang where he was stationd as an electrician in the Air Farce.

Less is more on the re-do,, do NOT send it to Randall. Have the owner give you a complete history of his service and the knifes history… Any hard documentation adds significantly.. Bart

Back