AEB-L Customs - Books Closed on this run

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings BFFs, while I am awaiting the heat treatment of my LC200 batch, I have begun a new batch, this one in .118" AEB-L. The sheet is 23 1/2" by 11", and is on the way to the waterjet cutter. Next week I will be finalizing the CAD file and sending it off. Here is a look at it so far:

Hai Order 3 WIP.jpg

The ones in red are spoken for, but everything else is fair game. If you either see something you would like to lay claim to, or would like to bump something off the sheet in favor of your own custom design, shoot me a PM or an email (in my sig below, if on a mobile turn your phone sideways to landscape mode to see it) and we'll discuss the details, and if all is to your liking, we'll get you in the book for a nice AEB-L custom.

Thanks and happy new year!

David

P.S. Based on heat treatment lead times and current orders in the book, I anticipate these knives will begin to see completion in the early to late spring.

For size reference:
the machete is just over 15" of blade length;
the skinny wharncliffes have 3 1/2" cutting edges;
the three green knives above the machete have 4" cutting edges;
the knives at the bottom (except the skinny wharncliffe) have 3 3/4" cutting edges;
except the tanto at 4 3/8" (including the tip bevel).

The chopper is being left square like that so I can decide later if I want to make it a seax, a clip point, or anything in between.

The steel has arrived at the waterjet cutters as of today. I will give it one more day to see if anyone has a design they would like in AEB-L before I send them the CAD file tomorrow.

CAD file has been sent, and I managed to get even more blades out of it. Some on the above image have been removed, and replaced with neckers that I am quite excited about.

u know i am a sucker for a necker....

post one up (then lets cut off 1/2 the handle and we can talk about it-- send me some pics we will talk about it!!!

Tried to send you a PM, but not allowed. I think if you send me one I would be able to respond.

He'll have to give you an email address.
Alternatively, there are profile messages; but keep in mind they are not even close to private (anybody can view them...there's even a quick link to New Profile Posts)

Whoops, I didn't notice the membership level! He's already a customer, so I'll email now. Thanks for the catch.

I can’t wait to see mine.

Me too! I emailed the waterjet guys last week for an update on my order to have the sheet cut, and Ryan said he should have this one done by mid week this week. Then when I have them in hand I'll clean up the profiles and add jimping to any blades that need it, before I package them up and send them out for heat treatment.

Took a ride out to Trenton today. Picked these up:

IMG_9406.JPG

I will be adding jimping to select models, and then hopefully sending them out to @JTknives Monday or Tuesday for heat treatment. My plan is to have the entire batch hardened to RC 63, including the machete, as I have always found AEB-L at this hardness to be more ductile than brittle. It is possible that RC 63 for the machete at the thin grind I am intending for it is a mistake, but I plan to find out for myself through testing. I already know that RC 61 is more than tough enough for my purposes, so this is an investment in R&D to see if I can build you all a better large and fast chopper.

At the time of this post, these are the ones still not spoken for, and though some of them I really want to keep, I really can't afford another David Mary Custom right now!

IMG_9407.JPG

P.S. some of the ones spoken for in pics previous to today's posts have been moved to a different AEB-L batch I also have coming (the super secret batch).

Would love to see the completed dagger!

As would I!;):)

Not completed yet, but this gives and idea of size and ergos:

IMG_9422.JPG
IMG_9418.JPG
IMG_9421.JPG

The design is a tasteful combination of elements from existing production daggers, specified by the customer. He has a good eye for style, in my opinion.

I can’t wait to see mine.

You also have a good eye, and I'm very excited about this design that grew out of your specifications and consultation:

IMG_9424.JPG
IMG_9425.JPG

The two at the bottom in the center are both very nice looking blades

Thank you, here is how they look in the hand:

IMG_9428.JPG
IMG_9430.JPG
IMG_9431.JPG
IMG_9432.JPG
IMG_9433.JPG

This is the knife that prompted the batch. I was approached about a "ridiculous" knife (his words!), and yes it will be a lot of work to grind, but the end result will be worth it, a completely over the top slicer for hog season (and its little brother).

IMG_9408.JPG
IMG_9409.JPG
IMG_9410.JPG
IMG_9411.JPG
IMG_9412.JPG

David that dagger looks “killer”. Is it going to be double ground or have a false edge and what’s the length of the finished product. Nice batch of blanks you have there, I can only guess you have your work cut out for you.

David that dagger looks “killer”. Is it going to be double ground or have a false edge and what’s the length of the finished product. Nice batch of blanks you have there, I can only guess you have your work cut out for you.

No pun intended eh Martin? ;)

Dagger about 12 1/2" overall, double edged.

Back