AG Russell Sting?

I haven't seen any pictures of the Sting anywhere on the net and I hardly know anything about it. Please, Enlighten me.
smile.gif

------------------
Tea drinker and hellraiser from Northern Sweden, above the arctic circle.

I believe A.G. Russell quit selling the Sting. I use to have an old A.G. Russell catalog and they had about 5 different models. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Blades

The Sting is one of my all-time favorites. Unfortunately, as Blades indicated, it is no longer in production nor offered by A.G. Russell.

There were several models, in two sizes. What they all had in common was a double edged, fairly small, yet wide (edge-to-edge) blade. What really set them apart from other "boot-style" knives is that wide blade has a good belly -- somewhat like a Roman Gladius. Actually, looking down from the tip to the handle, there is a barely perceptible recurve.

If I am not mistaken, the original Sting was a one piece, all metal, design available only in the smaller of the two sizes. In addition to thumb and index finger recesses on each side of the handle, the all-metal model had a "thumb print" recess on the handle flats.

In addition to all-metal, a variety of handle materials were also offered. Later production runs of the all-metal included several blade finishes such as black or green teflon, matte or mirror finish, etc. There was even an all-metal Damascus model.

The small Stings started out with ~1/8" stock and were 6 1/2" OAL with a 3 1/4" blade. The large model had ~3/16" stock and were 8" OAL with a 3 3/4" blade.

I have one of each size from 1977. They were both made in Solingen, where I believe all of the production was done.

I'm heading out of town for a couple of days and then again for all of next week. If no one comes up with a pic before then, I'll take & post a couple when I return.

------------------
--+Brian+--

I have a Sting from 1977 in unused condition. It has sat in drawer for some years and I would be interested in a sale or trade. If interested, you can contact me at FullerH@sec.gov or c/o my wife at GFuller@vts.edu.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh