1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ahh! :D I think I scored a GEC #46 Ironwood Whaler!! ♡

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sparklygalaxy, May 11, 2018.

1. sparklygalaxy

sparklygalaxy

Apr 6, 2018
    I fell in love with one for trade over on the BF trading forums this afternoon - and since I have a few bucks to spend for once - have been looking far and wide across the internet ever since. I ACTUALLY found one! It's on hold for me! ^_^

This is not The One on hold, but it will look identical (found this photo on Google :p):
    [​IMG]

Has anybody else scored one of these beautiful knives at retail value? The only other ones I see are on EBay priced into oblivion.

Also, how is your weekend going? Happy Weekend you guys! :)

~ Sparkly

2. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    "I hereby resign from buying kni...hey, look over there, a knife I must get!" :D

Mr.SATism, FOG2, mt666tm and 13 others like this.
  3. sparklygalaxy

sparklygalaxy

Apr 6, 2018
    I know! No judging ;)

afishhunter likes this.
  4. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    No worries.
    I just no longer make unsustainable claims like not buying more knives. :D

I used to think there was such a thing as enough knives, or "the one" that would end the search.
    I was so amazingly wrong. ;)

Enjoy the new knife when it comes in; looks like it will be pretty neat.:thumbsup:

sparklygalaxy likes this.
  5. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Looks like a traditional version of the AdV Pocket Butcher. Kinda neat.

6. sparklygalaxy

sparklygalaxy

Apr 6, 2018
    That's a cool observation. It really does! :)

7. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    GEC makes some great knives. I've been carrying a #66 for a few weeks and it's an awesome blade. I have a lot of knives, but this one has the most soul.

IMG_1311.JPG

afishhunter, FOG2, PNWhovian and 3 others like this.
  8. sparklygalaxy

sparklygalaxy

Apr 6, 2018

That is a beautiful knife. They do definitely have a lot of character! :)

Blues Bender likes this.
  9. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    It actually looks a lot like an ADV Impi Mini Slipjoint. Or vice versa.

sparklygalaxy and b00n like this.
  10. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I got lucky today and scored one so I can certainly understand the excitement! :thumbsup:

These knives are going to be real conversation starters.

11. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    The nice thing about GEC is that buying one, even if you're on a very tight budget, is a low risk proposition because if you don't like it, the resale value is high, and they sell quickly. If, for whatever reason, you decide to dump it, it's easy to get your money back out of it.

Deinos and sparklygalaxy like this.
  12. sparklygalaxy

sparklygalaxy

Apr 6, 2018

Okay, that might answer my question but I'll still ask. Okay, I've got $150. I am SO torn between the GEC #46 Whaler or getting a Buck Vanguard with this super cool sheath. I know the GEC is much rarer and more valuable... but I honestly still do not know what to do! I can only get one of the two options. What would you guys do?

[​IMG]
    ~ Sparkly

13. sparklygalaxy

sparklygalaxy

Apr 6, 2018

That's awesome @Kiteman72! Where did you find yours? :)

14. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I would get the GEC but also get a sheath for it. I used to have the elephant toe nail from them and it is a huge knife. Your Buck 112 might even feel flimsy in comparison. :D

[​IMG]

This is my GEC #66 I have carried exclusively for aix months now.

Wilsonhome and sparklygalaxy like this.
  15. sparklygalaxy

sparklygalaxy

Apr 6, 2018

Okay, I definitely will try. I still don't know how much this guy is selling the knife for and he isn't emailing me! Probably it being the weekend and all. Ahh, the suspense. So I honestly might not even be able to afford a sheath for it, unfortunately. It's a knife shop in Virginia I think and their other knives are not ridiculously priced, so I'm hopeful he's selling it for the normal price. That is a beautiful knife! I love the colors! :)

*Oh also, do you mean huge as in bulky and heavy? Or huge as in long? The larger blade is only supposed to be 3".

16. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Platinum Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Get the Buck Vanguard, folders break in half.

17. sparklygalaxy

sparklygalaxy

Apr 6, 2018
    I have many folders and none have broken? I mean, not yet at least. I don't have any fixed blades at all! Which makes me lean more towards the Vanguard.

18. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    The Whaler should be available at a lot of the GEC dealers. I bought a GEC Sunfish (#36) a couple years ago. It is basically the same knife with I believe a larger frame. I think it's gorgeous. But, I don't want to use it and I don't collect knives.... dilemma. I have the Cabelas version of 192 with leather sheath (S30V).... It's nice, but I don't use it much. But I would if I didn't have 10 other knives that I might use for the same purpose.... They pile up over time.

I guess it comes down to your use intentions. It will be easier to sell the GEC knife later versus the Buck if it comes to that. The Bucks are quite common. Do you think the blade shape will be useful to you on the GEC? I find that I prefer a thinner blade (height) and a knife that isn't so wide in the pocket. The wide blade serves no added utility for me. There are lots of 192's around and you can buy later. The GEC's sell out and get a lot more expensive down the road. That is something that has bothered me. You'll have to follow your instincts on this and if you intend to use the knife.

19. sparklygalaxy

sparklygalaxy

Apr 6, 2018
    Honestly I was planning on using the #46 as my new EDC. I would only be able to use the Buck on camping and hiking trips, which sucks.

20. Wilsonhome

Wilsonhome Professional Chupacabra Tamer Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Get the GEC. It’s a lucky score. Never turn your back on luck, as she/he can be fickle. You can always get the Buck, this is the chance to get a really nice GEC in hand and if you don’t like it, you can put it back out in the world with likely no loss.

r8shell, SV-97 and sparklygalaxy like this.