AK-47 -- Asymmetrical Edge?

My AK-47 appears to have an asymmetrical edge, especially evident at the point. Is it a bug or a feature?

cordially, - Michael Zeleny@post.harvard.edu
7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 - 323.363.1860 - http://larvatus.livejournal.com/
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Beckett

mine is a standard v edge. however, even on v edges, i have seen busse knives edge veer so severely to the right (becoming assemetrical) that the edge actually visibly curves to the tip, and the tip is a severe version of an assymetrical edge, so its possible that it might be both?

with assymetrical, one side should be visibly taller then the other. in an actual busse combat assymetrical edge, one side will be very very short, and the other very very tall by comparison.

oh man... the pub defender.... that tip was crazy hard to reprofile to a v....

The knife edge veering so severely to the right that it visibly curves to the tip, sounds like a bug, doesn't it? Why would the tip be intentionally ground to a severe version of an assymetrical edge, with the rest of the blade remaining symmetrical?

7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 - 323.363.1860 - http://larvatus.livejournal.com/
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Beckett

hell if i know:rolleyes: :D

i had a basic 3 like that, and my terror monkey battle mistress was like that. the first basic 9 i had had a tip that was more assymetrically ground then the rest, because the tips are left more obtuse then the rest of the edge, but to a degree that the edge visible veered to one side near the tip.

come to think of it, my regular battle mistress was the same way...

example - the basic 3 i mentioned. that one had tip discoloration on it though.... but its a basic slightly more extreme example of what i've found on a lot of my busse's. i beleive the comparison edge is from a basic 5

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC02473small.jpg
    DSC02473small.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC02481small.jpg
    DSC02481small.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 130
i've hated every edge i've gotten from the factory. its the 35 degree's+ per side (convex) high polished edge that gets to me. once its dull, i've found several to be completely unusable once they get even slightly dulled. so every single knife from busse i've put to use has eventually gotten sharpened to a more acute angle, sometimes getting pretty extreme, like with the pure bred series and the pub defenders wich have really, really, REALLY obtuse edges with fat amounts of metal behind them.

since i reprofile all of them its never really be an issue with me, more of an oddity then anything.

as long as it doesnt effect the heat treat, they could sell it with a litterally round edge and i'd still buy it

MVF

Gold Member
My FSH was like that when I got it. Called Busse, they said send it back, and they took care of it. You may want to ask about insured shipping (if that's important to you).

In an earlier life I tried to fix an "off" tip on a Buck knife- I would not want to do that to a Busse!

hhuumm,,:confused:

I'm looking at mine right now,,it has a nearly perfect symmetrical edge grind from the choil to the tip:eek:

Seth,,,

you defenitly have a "toxic" blade there :eek:

just box it up and send it to me and I will put it in a proper containment area "aka>>my knife safe" .:D

The AK-47 is my first Busse after a quarter century of Randalls punctuated by a smattering of Madd Maxxes and Sebenzas. Based on this history, I am unaccustomed to getting "really, really, REALLY obtuse edges with fat amounts of metal behind them". In the present instance, I am trying to calibrate my quality expectations against past experience, as they impinge on future choice of arms.

how i view cutting edges will be different then how others veiw cutting edges

the pub defender and the pure bred series are special knives in that they are built to be tanks. the active duty and others are of good cutting geometry, and there are many in the middle ground.

with the pub defender, when i got mine the factory edge couldn't cut fabric. to a large extent i think that was a special circumstance as the pub defender is seeminly meant as a stabbing blade. my view of "lots of metal behind the edge" wont be what it is for most people.

i dont have that basic 3 any more, it was only in my hands for a few days. but i've had others that were similar to it (it was the discoloration that really scared me)

i use an apex edgepro sharpener, so i dont mind reprofiling them, since it wont hurt the heat treat.

the bead blasted assault shaker i had was one of the sharpest knives i've ever owned.... i still didtn like the factory edge, as it wouldnt bite into my hand when slicing without pressure applied, and it wasnt as acute of an angle as i would have liked (i think i put it to 21), but the geometry of the blade itself was awesome. pretty much a true zero grind, from spine to edge with no transition.